Shawn Robbins

MLK Weekend Thread (1/13-16) | 3-day/4-day Estimates: Avatar 32.4M/40.6M, M3GAN 18.26M/21.72M, Puss 14.39M/19.04M, Otto 12.8M/15.33M, Plane 10M/12.03M, House Party 4M/4.73M

You know, it's funny.  Wasn't too long ago that 5x legs was seen as lackluster legs for a property like Avatar.

(well, by at least one partisan)

My how time does fly.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, Skim Beeble said:

Wasn't even aware of Skinamarink's existence until I saw the trailer before M3GAN last week. Now all of the sudden everyone is talking about it. (at least in my social media circle) Saw it yesterday and was really impressed with it. Hopefully it expands more within the coming weeks. 

I’m very curious about it. Wish it was getting a proper release here in the UK. 

3 minutes ago, jedijake said:

Anyone have any idea how long AWOW will hold onto 3D IMAX shows? Was going to see it this weekend but illness got in the way.

Mid February with Titanic and Ant Man will probably steal a good amount, if not most, showings. We'll have to wait and see if it gets showings back later in the run.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Porthos said:

You know, it's funny.  Wasn't too long ago that 5x legs was seen as lackluster legs for a property like Avatar.

(well, by at least one partisan)

My how time does fly.

Maybe some posters were overly optimistic, but Cameron has given us plenty of reasons to dream big. And we're still going to dream big for the sequels, we're just getting started 😉

I can only speak for myself, but a top10 dom and top 5 WW would be more than satisfying. And the highest grossing movie of the post-pandemic era

Edited by Alexdube

7.5mil Friday would mean a 3 day weekend in the 31-35mil, depending how well Sunday holds with Monday being a holiday.

A touch under my 35mil 3 day prediction, but still time for Friday to improve with actuals!.

Edited by stuart360

So, PLANE...

IS WORTH THE $5 TICKET!:)  Well priced, TMobile and Atom.  It was "Die Hard with a Plane and an Island" and was everything that an 80's throwback action movie in that vein would be.  And it was SUCH a soft R - my kids said they've seen more gore and killings in an MCU film, but then I reminded them that it only takes about 2 F bombs for an R...

My boys had a great time, and both gave the movie B+s...

I'd be a little harsher with a B-, but I enjoyed the flick and found my money very well spent.  It had its thrilling moments, its "oh yeah" moments, and its "you've got to be kidding me" moments...but it also had some "yawn" moments where you'd wished they'd have sped up, or added a little more action, or something.

But $5 - go steal a TMobile code from your friend and see it:)...

Edit to Add: And I can't b&tch about the title anymore - since Die Hard was taken, Plane is about the best title for this movie...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

So, PLANE...

IS WORTH THE $5 TICKET!:)  Well priced, TMobile and Atom.  It was "Die Hard with a Plane and an Island" and was everything that an 80's throwback action movie in that vein would be.  And it was SUCH a soft R - my kids said they've seen more gore and killings in an MCU film, but then I reminded them that it only takes about 2 F bombs for an R...

My boys had a great time, and both gave the movie B+s...

I'd be a little harsher with a B-, but I enjoyed the flick and found my money very well spent.  It had its thrilling moments, its "oh yeah" moments, and its "you've got to be kidding me" moments...but it also had some "yawn" moments where you'd wished they'd have sped up, or added a little more action, or something.

But $5 - go steal a TMobile code from your friend and see it:)...

I'm sold! I was going to skip this but I'll probably head over and see it on Tuesday. Thanks for the review! It's becoming a bit of a theme rather than an outlier at this point that this movie is pretty good.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

That’s a +200% Friday increase for M3GAN! 

Could be looking at a $20m 4 day. 

The Friday the 13th effect is real. Expecting a softer Saturday jump because of it.

• Like 2