filmlover

95th Academy Awards nominations thread

I must say though it felt really good having these announced back in a giant press room again. Last year's presentation when they kept cutting from Leslie Jordan (RIP :whosad:) and Tracee Ellis Ross announcing the nominees to some random YouTuber giving commentary on the whole thing was incredibly annoying.

27 minutes ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

So at the end of the day, Woman King ended up properly rated: a really good action movie with Viola Davis being her typical great self...but obviously playing a strong supporting role instead of the lead. It made a decent amount of money and got a decent amount of awards love without ending up as one of the defining movies of the year like Sony was pushing it as. While it's snubbed by oscars totality of awards season places it more in the 10-20 range of films which just seems accurate?

It seems like Avatar/Top Gun and to some degree EEEAAO crowded out both Woman King and RRR for genre awards consideration (and relegated Batman production quality to below consideration range)? does that make sense as an explanation? 

I think Wakanda is the victim here actually.

The movie actually got more nomination than Avatar 2 but ended up left out in BP list. Obviously Marvel brand still an issue, 

3 minutes ago, Borobudur said:

The movie actually got more nomination than Avatar 2 but ended up left out in BP list. Obviously Marvel brand still an issue, 

yeah, that's a good call. BPWF had a pretty strong looking nomination slate so it's probably very close to a picture nod.

I'd also throw in how changes to academy composition really making it appear that you can functionally lock in the top "prestige" international feature to major awards so woman talking (? I know it got a sag nom) or Avatar (given smaller number of noms) was probably the last in. Triangle might have been lower than some films but it presumably had a hard floor after Decision to Leave faded. Alternatively, that could all be completely wrong. What do I know? I forgot that RRR was not in the running for best international feature due to India's refusal to nominate. 

19 minutes ago, IndustriousAngel said:

come  on, it's not that bad :D  there were quite a few German movies I enjoyed through the last years!

The rare golden marbles exisit, i dont deny that.

It could very well be that im still traumatized by the awful german movies ive had to watch at school. True abominations like "Jesus liebt mich" or "Türkisch für Anfänger der Film" scarred me. On top of that all of the existing Till Schweiger movies ....

But yes, there are a few good/great german films.

We did an online office poll to find out how many people saw these movies:

0 for Women Talking (not available anywhere in UK yet)

0 for Triangle

1 for Fablemans (me!)

2 for Tar

4 for All Quiet

4 for Banshees

7 for EEAAO

12 for Elvis

28 for Avatar

44 for Top Gun

• Like 2

Blonde got underpredicted all season because Film Twitter hated it, but de Armas hit most of the precursors and she fits the profile of a first time nominee in the category. Without the last minute frenzy over Riseborough, probably Deadwyler or Davis (a co-lead but the title character) gets in. Frances Fisher was a big Andrea cheerleader who belatedly insisted Danielle and Viola were safe for the nom, so RIP her mentions today. Horrible optics, now it looks like a big group of primarily white performers saw how racially diverse the category could be, and rallied around Riseborough to Make Best Actress Great Again. I think multiple people will try a guerrilla campaign like this next year but it probably won't work.

Top Gun: Maverick missed for Cinematography and made it into Adapted Screenplay? It is much better than Top Gun so that probably went a long way with voters.

Stephanie Hsu, happy for her. They really loved EEAAO, even going for the Original Song.

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

I dunno, looking at the contenders a year out it feels like everything is paving the way for his moment? Not to mention the "transformation" of it all. I know there's been whispers Leo might go Supporting for Flower Moon but we shall see. Cillian Murphy feels like the only other good bet right now for that category based on materials released since Oppenheimer is looking to be Nolan's first movie that can be qualified as an actual "actor" vehicle in a while and he's clearly the lead.

I see Maestro running into a thousand minefields from casting controversies to biopic fatigue (from critics) to the sophmore directorial slump, plus Lydia Tár admiring Bernstein so much made me wonder if he's going to get cancelled from beyond the grave next year. Anyway I'm just going to keep my expectations low on that one.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Borobudur said:

It's not. AWOW is a stronger movie and Oscars acknoweldged it. Number of noms doesn't necessarily mean a movie makes it in Picture otherwise CODA wouldn't even sniff nominations let alone win. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Brainbug said:

Im afraid of All Quiet on the Western Front winning anything. People outside Germany could come to the bafflingly wrong conclusion that we germans can actually make good movies. While All Quiet is indeed a very good movie, it is in no way a true representation of german film culture. Understand please, that we SUCK at making movies despite All Quiet.

You should look more into your history: F. W. Murnau, Fritz Lang and Ernst Lubitsch are among the greatest directors of all time.

German expressionism is one of the most influential periods in cinema history.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, CaptNathanBrittles said:

You should look more into your history: F. W. Murnau, Fritz Lang and Ernst Lubitsch are among the greatest directors of all time.

German expressionism is one of the most influential periods in cinema history.

I know, i just like to sh*t on my countrys younger film history (1980s to now) because its been ... not good.

My predictions (who I think will win, not necessarily who I hope will win):

Picture: Everything Everywhere All At Once

Director: Everything Everywhere All At Once

Actor: Elvis

Actress: Tár

Supporting Actor: Everything Everywhere All At Once

Supporting Actress: Black Panther 2

Cinematography: Bardo 🤮

Editing: Everything Everywhere All At Once

Original Script: Banshees of Inisherin

Adapted Script: Women Talking

Sound: Top Gun: Maverick

VFX: Avatar 2

Costume: Elvis

Production Design: Babylon

Make Up and Hair: Elvis

Music: Everything Everywhere All At Once

Song: RRR

Foreign Film: The Quiet Girl

Animated Film: Pinocchio

Multiple winners:

Everything Everywhere All At Once: 5

Elvis: 3

2 hours ago, filmlover said:

I must say though it felt really good having these announced back in a giant press room again. Last year's presentation when they kept cutting from Leslie Jordan (RIP :whosad:) and Tracee Ellis Ross announcing the nominees to some random YouTuber giving commentary on the whole thing was incredibly annoying.

Yes, I don't know it takes them 7 years to figure out old-fashioned in person announcement actually works. Except those two years when we were in pandemic, the press room style certainly working when live reaction is a trend now.

Plus, I just love to see Riz Ahmed. 

The only complain is that they still doing name list presentation thing. I don't like to see "only name" flying by kind of presentation. I can't understand why getting a picture from a movie or actor or actress is a difficult thing to do. 

5 hours ago, Brainbug said:

If Avatar doesnt win VFX, the world should collapse. I dont worship that movie in any way, but the effects in Avatar 2 blow every other movie last year out of the water (no pun intended).

Yeah, simulating water effect is already a challenges but blending with CG characters and dust in water altogether? That isn't just yearly achievement, Avatar probably blow everything else in term of VFX that come out in the next 10 years. 

Also, to discount Avatar's achievement as a film overall by saying "That movie is only good for its VFX" is a huge misunderstanding of film culture. Movie is a visual-audio medium. We say " I have seen that movie", we say " Please go and watch this movie". This means the movie, first and foremost should please our eyes! 

3 hours ago, wildphantom said:

Brilliant. Should be on the Best Picture shortlist too.  

Actually Pinocchio missed out both original song and score when the movie is position to nab those two nominations is a sign that movie may not be this a stronghold for the win in best animated feature. I am sensing PIB2 rising up in the race.  

Just now, titanic2187 said:

Actually Pinocchio missed out both original song and score when the movie is position to nab those two nominations is a sign that movie may not be this a stronghold for the win in best animated feature. I am sensing PIB2 rising up in the race.  

could be right. 
technically Pinocchio blew me away. Painstaking and sublime. 

The surprise was how strong All Quiet On The Western Front did ; it was expected to grab a best foreign language film nod but not as many as it did. A coup for Netflix.

Another remake of a Oscar winning film gets a BP nomination on it;s own.

I'm so thrilled for the love for Everything Everywhere. It was expected to do well, but it even outperformed those expectations - double digit nominations, including a nod for Stephanie Hsu. This indicates strength in general, and among actors in particular.

Ke Huy Quan is almost certainly going to win Best Supporting Actor, and the film can realistically win Best Original Screenplay and Best Editing, among others (SAG will help us determine if Yeoh or Blanchett is looking like the frontrunner for Best Actress). I'm hoping this all leads to a Best Picture win - which would be a pretty thrilling win for a beautifully absurd and ambitious film that became a crowdpleaser and had an exceptional box office performance. 

Also, this is the first Oscar nomination for Jamie Lee Curtis. I'm going to look forward to seeing her on Oscar night.

First acting nomination ever for an MCU film, with Angela Bassett's nomination. I'm happy about this recognition. That she could realistically win is even more wonderful.

Peace,

Mike

Crazy ass nominations. Riseborough's campaign will haunt punditry for years to come. My personal ranking:

TÁR

The Banshees of Inisherin

Everything Everywhere All at Once

Elvis

Top Gun: Maverick

Women Talking

The Fabelmans

Triangle of Sadness

Will probably watch All Quiet sometime this week.