BadOlCatSylvester

February 3rd to 5th, 2023 Weekend Thread | Estimates: Cabin 14.2, Brady 12.5, Avatar 10.8, Puss 7.95, BTS 6.3

With only a 35% recommend, Knock at the Cabin obviously worked for almost no one on opening night...

It's not gonna be a "what went wrong" story - it's gonna be a "how did everything go wrong and this appeal to almost no one" story...the audience it pulled in mostly didn't like it (gonna add current RT verified audience is 64%, as another GA metric above Postrak and Cinescore), and the overall paid audience being as small as it is, shows there are other M Night normal audience members who didn't even give it a try with the ticket buy...

8 minutes ago, baumer said:

There's plenty of room for filmmakers like M Night. It has nothing to do with the content it has more to do with the fact that Goodwill is ephemeral in Hollywood just as much now as it ever was. Night did this to himself. Old was one big hot mess at least in my eyes and it's not like it got stellar WOM. For every one film he makes that seems to be decent, like Split, he makes two garbage films like glass and then old. I think people have just gotten to the point now where they see his name attached to a film and you think it's going to be twisty in a horrible way and not a good way the way it was with sixth sense and unbreakable. Those films are more than 20 years old now and the filmography he's put forth since then has been below average and that's putting it mildly.

People love violence. I mean look at the terrifier part 2 that came out in December, It's a niche film of course but the niche audience that loved it forced the studio and theaters to release a theatrically.

When you wear out your goodwill people are not going to come out in droved to see your film. I think a 15 million dollar opening is more than adequate especially since M Night has been releasing such garbage lately.

I think the other element is that the horror/thriller space is pretty crowded these days, and we're seeing that there's some limits to how much people will watch.

I've seen both M3GAN and Missing in the last month. I might have been motivated to see this, as I liked the initial trailer, but, the reviews to date suggest it doesn't quite deliver, so I'm happy to pass. 

I imagine that among horror fans, there's probably not a large contingent that have MNS as their favorite in the genre. He's just one of many voices at this point.

• Like 1

I agree there is some merit to people not wanting to watch depressing stuff after going to the theater. Like I actively stay away from movies which have synopses which sound like "X deals with a substance abuse addiction while their kid finds themselves falling in with the wrong gang and they all die in the end". The past few years since 2017 have been hard on people, escapism packaged nicely is the only thing which will draw people into theaters.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

The projection for Knock at the Cabin is very disappointing considering how well Old did in 2021 for that period when similar movies were opening under $10 million. Something went wrong here. Maybe the marketing or maybe because of the gay couple. I hope it at least becomes one of those movies that get good legs despite the low cinemascore. I understand it will be divisive but it's still a very entertaining film in my opinion.

It's the gay couple thing. America pretends to be open. It ain't. Orthodoxy is still seeped deep inside the average american middle class. The gays are a minority and simply don't have the clout or numbers to make such films hit. They can use same sex thing in bigger commercial superhero movies and it may work, but if you think they will breakout and do a billion, you are sorely mistaken. Expecting a country to suddenly develop their tastes when they can't even elect a female president after 246 years of independence is expecting too much. 

Edited by marveldcfox
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • ...wtf 3

Just now, GOGODanca said:

Any chance A2 can get back some dolby screens next week ?

Titanic seems to be taking over most (all?) of them and some are looking to share with Magic Mike (taking over for the last show in the 9:00-11:00 hours). I imagine if they're gonna look to gain some of those screens back they'll have to wait until middle of April at the earliest since those screens are booked up almost every week with a new movie until then.

20 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Smile is actually a really dark movie with a downer ending

Yeh I think people forget (or don’t know) how Smile ended. Americans don’t usually like an ending like that, yet Smile was a gigantic leggy hit. 4.7x multiplier. 

Smile is much darker and way more bleak than anything in Knock at the Cabin. It’s also a far superior film, but that’s just me lol 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Yeh I think people forget (or don’t know) how Smile ended. Americans don’t usually like an ending like that, yet Smile was a gigantic leggy hit. 4.7x multiplier. 

Smile is much darker and way more bleak than anything in Knock at the Cabin. It’s also a far superior film, but that’s just me lol 

I've been watching a few so-called Oscar movies lately and for the most part they disappointed and bored the hell out of me. Tonight I'm going to do the Menu and Smile. I'll let you know how that goes, but I'm really looking forward to it.

• Like 7
  • ...wtf 1

4 minutes ago, baumer said:

I've been watching a few so-called Oscar movies lately and for the most part they disappointed and bored the hell out of me. Tonight I'm going to do the Menu and Smile. I'll let you know how that goes, but I'm really looking forward to it.

That’s a great double feature! Hope you enjoy. 

You should check out Barbarian too, I think you’d have fun with it. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

That’s a great double feature! Hope you enjoy. 

You should check out Barbarian too, I think you’d have fun with it. 

I did get to see that at the theater.  I thought it was light-hearted enough but ultimately not something that will remain in the cerebellum years down the road LOL

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

With only a 35% recommend, Knock at the Cabin obviously worked for almost no one on opening night...

It's not gonna be a "what went wrong" story - it's gonna be a "how did everything go wrong and this appeal to almost no one" story...the audience it pulled in mostly didn't like it (gonna add current RT verified audience is 64%, as another GA metric above Postrak and Cinescore), and the overall paid audience being as small as it is, shows there are other M Night normal audience members who didn't even give it a try with the ticket buy...

I don't think it's that surprising. Old has very similar scores on RT/PostTrak/Cinemascore. 

33 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

It's the gay couple thing. America pretends to be open. It ain't. Orthodoxy is still seeped deep inside the average american middle class. The gays are a minority and simply don't have the clout or numbers to make such films hit. They can use same sex thing in bigger commercial superhero movies and it may work, but if you think they will breakout and do a billion, you are sorely mistaken. Expecting a country to suddenly develop their tastes when they can't even elect a female president after 246 years of independence is expecting too much. 

Yes. All divisive, under-performing Shyamalan movies had gay characters in them. It must be that!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

That's pretty underwhelming for Knock and M. Night. He just had a hot streak, too, and this is one of his better received films... I guess the marketing just didn't deliver? For a horror to miss tracking, that's bad. But he's getting another #1 which is nice

Nice numbers for 80 For Brady.. 80million for Brady?