Issac Newton

Weekend Thread - 3/17-19 | Weekend Est. - Shazam II $30.5M, Scream VI $17.5M, Creed III $15.4M, LXV $5.8M, #AintMan $4.1M

1 hour ago, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

"Batman 89 and TDK are not on equal footing at all"

By box office standards I've already shown they are. By cultural impact they easily are.

I'm sure Batman 89 is a very popular movie amongst the elderly but this is not true at all.

Edited by AJG
  • Like 1
  • ...wtf 1

I don't agree with the posts saying the performance of Shazam 2 means anything to the future of DC films.  I don't think this movie has any bearing on the future of DC at all.  Everyone is pretty clued in that a reboot is coming.  This is a lame duck project.  IF it was a great movie then maybe WOM would carry it further but it appears it's average at best given the reviews and so far what we know of audience reception.  

As with all things movie wise, cultural impact is very much a generational thing and trying to compare across vastly different eras is nearly impossible. 

One cannot deny the impact that B89 had on the overall box office and culture of the moment. Such similar arguments will be made 20 years from now about TDK in comparison to whatever is the next "big" Bat. Doesn't take away from either, but for the turf defenders of the respective generations. 

• Like 6

Just now, titanic2187 said:

It is irony to see few days ago during Oscar ceremony, there was 2 minute dedicated to WB, in commemorate for their 100 years of anniversary and this is quickly followed by a flop.

I still think all is not completely lost for their 2023 despite the DC movies being on semi-shaky ground right now. They're pushing The Flash more than they ever did Shazam 2, and Barbie should be fine as summer counterprogramming since there's already plenty of genuine interest in it. Their fourth quarter should be at least alright overall too, though the schedule needs to be worked out a bit (Dune 2 is currently the week before The Marvels while they have Wonka/The Color Purple/Aquaman 2 over the span of less than two weeks in December).

33 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

I don't agree with the posts saying the performance of Shazam 2 means anything to the future of DC films.  I don't think this movie has any bearing on the future of DC at all.  Everyone is pretty clued in that a reboot is coming.  This is a lame duck project.  IF it was a great movie then maybe WOM would carry it further but it appears it's average at best given the reviews and so far what we know of audience reception.  

I mean, it doesn’t affect the DCU… but there are still 3 more lame duck projects coming before the reboot! If you feel that that affected this one then it can reasonably be expected to affect the next 3 dc movies since they’re DCEU.

56 minutes ago, AJG said:

I'm sure Batman 89 is a very popular movie amongst the elderly but this is not true at all.

Millenials are elderly now? 

You young sprouts should check out movies made before 2000. There's way better stuff than The Dark Knight Rises and Interstellar. 

I know, IMDb says they're masterpieces. :hahaha:

Edited by grey ghost
  • Like 4

20 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I still think all is not completely lost for their 2023 despite the DC movies being on semi-shaky ground right now. They're pushing The Flash more than they ever did Shazam 2, and Barbie should be fine as summer counterprogramming since there's already plenty of genuine interest in it. Their fourth quarter should be at least alright overall too, though the schedule needs to be worked out a bit (Dune 2 is currently the week before The Marvels while they have Wonka/The Color Purple/Aquaman 2 over the span of less than two weeks in December).

To me WB put too much faith on The Flash without thinking what-if superhero genre fatigue is real and even a great movie can't offset that fatigue. Not to mention this project already have too much trouble going on. 

15 hours ago, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

This is really fudging it and is just being straight up guilty of bias based on timing:

Batman 1989 was one of the biggest blockbusters of all time at the time of release. Only 4 other films released that year managed even half of it's box office and one of them - that it still blew out of the water - was a freaking Indiana Jones movie in its pomp. No movie released in 1988, 1987, 1986 got close and you have to delve backwards to Jedi in 1983 and forwards to Jurassic Park in 1993 to better it: In other words it has a DECADE CLEARANCE on either side in terms of its success. It's box office towers even over titans in that era like Top Gun, Roger Rabbit,  Beverly Hills Cop, Ghost, Ghostbusters, 2 Indy films and Back to the Future

Now even as the resident person who thinks The Dark Knight is overrated crap I'm not going to pretend it didn't have a massive zeitgeist hit and  that even though it may be baffling to me it is still VERY well thought of. But the two are equivalents...not one over the other. And the call of 'definitive Batman movie' is especially confusing when applied to Dark Knight given how flagrantly disinterested Nolan is in the Batman character in the second and third films.

Batman 1989 was only the second truly successful superhero movie property ever and was absolutely gargantuan as a box office and cultural presence. Don't dismiss it or its legacy.

yes Batman 89 was gigantic at the time but now other versions of Batman have overshadowed them massively including the extremely high quality Nolan films that majority of todays moviegoers grew up with. What’s funny is that when the Nolan films were coming out people were gladly pointing out the Burton films as the style over substance relics they are and it’s only in recent years on the internet that we have some people trying to pretend that the Nolan films were too self serious or something while the Burton films are the definite version of Batman. Lol

Edited by John Marston
  • Like 1
  • ...wtf 1