Issac Newton

Weekend Thread - 3/17-19 | Weekend Est. - Shazam II $30.5M, Scream VI $17.5M, Creed III $15.4M, LXV $5.8M, #AintMan $4.1M

2 hours ago, Mickiland16 said:

Unrelated but assuming that it is and considering that she has Snow White four months later it would be an interesting plot twist if after these numbers she becomes the next star of her generation. I mean it's not impossible, her demand in Hollywood would certainly go up quite a bit as the lead in two big blockbusters back to back even if she probably isn't the main reason for their success.

Snow Whites a guarantied flop. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

Why does everyone still forget The Suicide Squad?

It remains the biggest red flag of all. Adored online movie that absolutely fell with a splat and horrendous legs.

I know there was supposed mitigation with the simultaneous release, but that was a $185m movie with elevated critical response, successful (box office wise) previous instalment, adoring fans online and a big name director.

I still think some remain (I'm not saying the OP does here) in denial about everything to do with TSS. Just easier to pretend it didn't happen.

Heck while the OW is probably going to be behind TSS, finals for Shazam are still going to beat the pathetic 55m TSS earned total domestic.

I don’t forget the suicide squad. It was also in the early part of the recovery, simultaneous release,and reception wasn’t as glowing as you’re suggesting.    

Perhaps most importantly it was a sequel to SS which was hated, so I wouldn’t say it should have been huge even without any three of those factors.

Shazam grossed 365M in 2019 in pre-pandemic times. Is this really the movie y´all going to use as the dagger for cbm movies? Like this happened before aswell with movie like Dark Phoenix. It happens. 

Spider-Verse ain´t doomed, nor is The Marvels. Spider-Verse will be good and probably see a big sequel jump.  The Marvels with a sizable drop will still earn a lot of money. Aquaman is getting released during Christmas. Yeah the last two cbm movies did bad but they were also by far the weakest franchise in each series. Ant-Man had the interest but the movie was garbage. Shazam was doomed no matter what for various reasons, didn´t help that reception to the movie was bad. This isn´t the first time it happened and won´t be the last. Doesn´t mean every movie will be doomed. There is a middle line here 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, WorkingonaName said:

Guardians 3 and Flash should be alright. Stuff like Blue Beatle, Spider-Verse and the Marvels are domed. 

What is any of this based on? How is The Marvels doomed? If it's good it should do well. That's all it comes down to with the MCU at this point. They simply aren't immune to poorly received movies and flops anymore. And Spider-Verse was beloved and it's fan base has grown so much since the first one released, I'm not sure what you're basing that on either.

16 minutes ago, ClarkZuckerberg said:

What is any of this based on? How is The Marvels doomed? If it's good it should do well. That's all it comes down to with the MCU at this point. They simply aren't immune to poorly received movies and flops anymore. And Spider-Verse was beloved and it's fan base has grown so much since the first one released, I'm not sure what you're basing that on either.

Yeah I think people seem to forgot the DS2, Thor, Ant man had big openings but due to WOM thier legs was not great. BPWF may di not do BP numbers but he film still opened to 180 million and a year before that No Way Home did massive. That is why it's funny when people say Marvel is dying. People still show up in big numbers opening weekend. 

Edited by Nikostar
  • Like 5

7 minutes ago, Nikostar said:

Yeah I think people seem to forgot the DS2, Thor, Ant man had big openings but due to WOM thier legs was not great. BPWF may di not do BP numbers but he film still opened to 180 million and a year before that No Way Home did massive. That is why it's funny when people say Marvel is dying. People still show up in big numbers opening weekend. 

That doesn't mean anything other than Marvel having a built in fan base that are still rabid for the product despite having their intelligence insulted several times over now.  It starts with one film being mediocre and goes from there. It's easy to excuse one mediocre film or even two but I think we are past the grief stage and on to acceptance.  Everyone else has clearly moved on. See: Ant-Man 3 with the new big bad Kang struggling to get over $400M. 

In 2019, Ant-Man 3 would have been close to a billion. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Disbelief 1
  • Knock It Off 2

51 minutes ago, CaptNathanBrittles said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Spider-Verse out-grossed all those live action CBMs,

The first one was beloved across the board and has gotten even bigger over the years. Would not be shocked if the 2nd out grossed everything CBM related this year 

The big question for spider-verse will be its overseas gross since the first made more domestic 190mil vs 185mil. It's also going to have a lot more competition and at a time we are talking about super-hero fatigue (I don't buy it but still) it being the 4th super-hero movie of the year with the 5th one coming out just a few weeks later won't help it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

This is really fudging it and is just being straight up guilty of bias based on timing:

Batman 1989 was one of the biggest blockbusters of all time at the time of release. Only 4 other films released that year managed even half of it's box office and one of them - that it still blew out of the water - was a freaking Indiana Jones movie in its pomp. No movie released in 1988, 1987, 1986 got close and you have to delve backwards to Jedi in 1983 and forwards to Jurassic Park in 1993 to better it: In other words it has a DECADE CLEARANCE on either side in terms of its success. It's box office towers even over titans in that era like Top Gun, Roger Rabbit,  Beverly Hills Cop, Ghost, Ghostbusters, 2 Indy films and Back to the Future

Now even as the resident person who thinks The Dark Knight is overrated crap I'm not going to pretend it didn't have a massive zeitgeist hit and  that even though it may be baffling to me it is still VERY well thought of. But the two are equivalents...not one over the other. And the call of 'definitive Batman movie' is especially confusing when applied to Dark Knight given how flagrantly disinterested Nolan is in the Batman character in the second and third films.

Batman 1989 was only the second truly successful superhero movie property ever and was absolutely gargantuan as a box office and cultural presence. Don't dismiss it or its legacy.

Yeah no. Batman 89 and TDK are not on equal footing at all. I'm not sure how you can criticize Nolans films for not being interested in Batman when returns barely had batman in it, and Keaton's batman was a raving psychopathic murderer and not at all what batman is like.

For people under the age of 40 Bale is their Batman. Keaton's films are hokey and extremely dated. 

The time to use Keaton for nostalgia was 10+ years ago. I doubt it has much drawing power at the box office for flash but we will have our answers soon enough. If they had gotten Bale this movie would have hype through the roof.

• Like 2
  • ...wtf 2
  • Knock It Off 2

Every time I get the Spider-Verse trailer, its reaction makes me think 300M is on the table. Mid-200s is my current guess; the reception to Guardians and overall superhero fatigue will probably determine if it goes higher or lower (or if Spider-Verse is meh, then low 200s)

Edited by WrathOfHan

29 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

The Marvels will be #1 CMB of the year, The Flash will do ok, and Guardians will probably make the same as the last one

What makes you think that The Marvels is going to crush it?  Forget the reports of script issues, that could just be rumors.  The thing about Captain Marvel is that it was sandwiched between the two biggest superhero blockbusters of all time.  Many folks believed it to be essential to the plot. I don't often see people anywhere wax poetic about the actual movie. I don't think an "Avengers bump" can be discounted. Furthermore, Ms. Marvel was one of the least watched an easily forgotten Disney+ shows.  I liked the show well enough but numbers are numbers.  I don't see anything to suggest that this is a home run. 

• Like 3