Issac Newton

Weekend Thread - 3/17-19 | Weekend Est. - Shazam II $30.5M, Scream VI $17.5M, Creed III $15.4M, LXV $5.8M, #AintMan $4.1M

27 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

girl needs that hunger games prequel to hit she is on two strikes. 

Unrelated but assuming that it is and considering that she has Snow White four months later it would be an interesting plot twist if after these numbers she becomes the next star of her generation. I mean it's not impossible, her demand in Hollywood would certainly go up quite a bit as the lead in two big blockbusters back to back even if she probably isn't the main reason for their success.

WB will be very lucky to break even on Shazam 2.

Which means even more is riding on The Flash. I am betting the marketing is really,really, going to push Keaton . You have to push a cast member when you market a film, and,aside from fond memories of Keaton as Batman,  Keaton does not have a world of legal problems hanging over his head.

And,, Yes, Super Hero fatigue among the Mainstream audience is real. You just cannot deny it any longer.

You will have the SPidey NWH and The Batman on occcasion, but the day when any CBM could be guaranteed a big opeing are over.

4 minutes ago, Mickiland16 said:

Unrelated but assuming that it is and considering that she has Snow White four months later it would be an interesting plot twist if after these numbers she becomes the next star of her generation. I mean it's not impossible, her demand in Hollywood would certainly go up quite a bit as the lead in two big blockbusters back to back even if she probably isn't the main reason for their success.

I feel like like Snow White is too old of a movie for people to care that they’re doing a live-action version.

Like…. I think Lilo and Stitch makes more sense for a theatrical release than Snow White.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Mickiland16 said:

Those movies should both do well, but Zegler has the vibes where she is mainly stuck in some thankless Star Wars show or random Marvel hero nobody has ever heard of. This is sadly the path every young actor goes through these days.

7 minutes ago, Mickiland16 said:

Nobody from the live action adaptations becomes a big star, you need a role that didn't exist before you played it and not some iconic character that existed before you were born

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dale Cooper said:

Not really true, though, is it? You could argue that the best recieved Marvel film(s) (Infinity War and Endgame) could rival Maverick, but amongt general audiences that doesn't hold true. The Dark Knight is on a different level alltogether.

What metric are you using to determine this?

1 minute ago, AJG said:

I feel like like Snow White is too old of a movie for people to care that they’re doing a live-action version.

Like…. I think Lilo and Stitch makes more sense for a theatrical release than Snow White.

Eh. Feel like you could say that with the live-action Cinderella of even Maleficent (yeah I know Jolie was the big hook with that film). Being a Disney Princess goes a long way when it comes to keeping an old school Disney character alive. Plus the music is being done by the Greatest Showman guys, so I’m sure some crappy song you will hear endlessly play at Old Navy will become super popular and sell the movie.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

girl needs that hunger games prequel to hit she is on two strikes. 

Does she? Westside Story is critically acclaimed, as well as her in it, and I can’t imagine pinning the blame on her for its box office. It was a remake of an already classic. Weird choice but it’s Spielberg so he gets what he wants obviously. In Shazam 2 she’s not even a lead is she? Based on the trailers I assumed she was a side character. Hunger Games prequel I assume she’s the co-lead though I know the main character is male. Reminds me of Margot Robbie. Making generally well received movies but not many box office hits.

4 hours ago, AJG said:

I'm pretty sure WW84 was the best performing movie on Max during that day-and-date business.

WB's explicit public statements been pretty consistent on that not being the case but that's probably in large part because (I assume), HBO Max grew significantly over the "project popcorn" year so it became much easier to generate the same numbers over time. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

What metric are you using to determine this?

That The Dark Knight is ahead? Look no further than IMDb really, or you can use any online movie site which does grading of movies.

About Maverick, you could probably make an argument for the best received Marvel films, but given the insane legs of Maverick it's hard to believe that any film in the past 10 years can have truly matched its WOM. I might be wrong there.

42 minutes ago, Mickiland16 said:

She's already fairly in demand since she got all these franchise projects because of working with a titan like Spielberg on her first movie. Strike while the iron is hot.

27 minutes ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

WB's explicit public statements been pretty consistent on that not being the case but that's probably in large part because (I assume), HBO Max grew significantly over the "project popcorn" year so it became much easier to generate the same numbers over time. 

As well as viewing figures, HBOMax gained 4.6m subscribers when WW84 was announced. Jumped from 12.6m to 17.2m.

2.3b minutes on Nielsen.

WW84 opened at the worst time, only 40% of US cinemas open and with social distancing capacity and obviously the rampant virus. 

21 minutes ago, Dale Cooper said:

That The Dark Knight is ahead? Look no further than IMDb really, or you can use any online movie site which does grading of movies.

About Maverick, you could probably make an argument for the best received Marvel films, but given the insane legs of Maverick it's hard to believe that any film in the past 10 years can have truly matched its WOM. I might be wrong there.

IMDb is fucking trash lol

• Like 3