Issac Newton

Weekend Thread - 3/17-19 | Weekend Est. - Shazam II $30.5M, Scream VI $17.5M, Creed III $15.4M, LXV $5.8M, #AintMan $4.1M

8 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

What makes you think that The Marvels is going to crush it?  Forget the reports of script issues, that could just be rumors.  The thing about Captain Marvel is that it was sandwiched between the two biggest superhero blockbusters of all time.  Many folks believed it to be essential to the plot. I don't often see people anywhere wax poetic about the actual movie. I don't think an "Avengers bump" can be discounted. Furthermore, Ms. Marvel was one of the least watched an easily forgotten Disney+ shows.  I liked the show well enough but numbers are numbers.  I don't see anything to suggest that this is a home run. 

it will decline like WF, but not as much as people expect, maybe i'm crazy like the loonies that think GOTG is gonna make more than vol 2, i think all CBM will under perform until they offer something new

2 hours ago, WorkingonaName said:

Guardians 3 and Flash should be alright. Stuff like Blue Beatle, Spider-Verse and the Marvels are domed. 

What? SpiderVerse is likely to make 260+ DOM. And look at % of latino / hispanic audience for every big-budget movie now. If Beetle is good it can target 180M+ DOM. Easily.

6 hours ago, AJG said:

The cast and crew have been on the defense for this movie over the weekend boy

Screenshot-20230318-232446-Instagram.jpg

She's a mess. On the red carpet, she kinda threw the movie under the bus by saying she did it because she needed a job. The internetz bashed her for unprofessionalism so this is her probly overcompensating. But it makes no sense attacking critics as that could come back to bite her big time.

Also, Jenna Ortega became the breakout Latina star that everyone expected RZ to be post West Side Story so girl needs to get her shit together fast. 

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 1

Spiderverse is the ultimate box office wildcard. The first movie is the most influential film on mainstream movies of the past half decade with the way it made the multiverse concept absolutely explode (hey look, it just won best picture). That said, I think if we’re gonna talk about “superhero fatigue” we definitely have to talk about “multiverse fatigue.” To say the concept isn’t a novel idea anymore like the first one had going for it is an understatement.

But the first was and still is held in very high regard. Though I can see the argument as well that it’s more of its own niche following sort of thing that doesn’t always equal huge box office. But I can just as easily seeing it being THE movie for the under teen to twenty something crowd this summer.

So again, it can totally go either way and it’s just a huge wildcard all around. I actually think my biggest concern though is it’s right in the middle of such a crowded summer schedule. Needless to say, great reviews again are a must. 

49 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

She's a mess. On the red carpet, she kinda threw the movie under the bus by saying she did it because she needed a job. The internetz bashed her for unprofessionalism so this is her probly overcompensating. But it makes no sense attacking critics as that could come back to bite her big time.

Also, Jenna Ortega became the breakout Latina star that everyone expected RZ to be post West Side Story so girl needs to get her shit together fast. 

To be fair you have to have a very high IQ to understand Shazam!: Fury of the gods

• Haha 3
  • Knock It Off 1

1 hour ago, Johnny Tran said:

What makes you think that The Marvels is going to crush it?  Forget the reports of script issues, that could just be rumors.  The thing about Captain Marvel is that it was sandwiched between the two biggest superhero blockbusters of all time.  Many folks believed it to be essential to the plot.

because Carol Danvers might be the lead of Avengers KD, and that could become an even bigger reason to watch The Marvels than the last time's reason.

1 hour ago, Johnny Tran said:

What makes you think that The Marvels is going to crush it?  Forget the reports of script issues, that could just be rumors.  The thing about Captain Marvel is that it was sandwiched between the two biggest superhero blockbusters of all time.  Many folks believed it to be essential to the plot. I don't often see people anywhere wax poetic about the actual movie. I don't think an "Avengers bump" can be discounted. Furthermore, Ms. Marvel was one of the least watched an easily forgotten Disney+ shows.  I liked the show well enough but numbers are numbers.  I don't see anything to suggest that this is a home run. 

He means it'll be the only CBM movie to cross the $600M mark. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, grey ghost said:

I can't wait for Lilo and Stitch.

I love this movie!  But I'm a little worried about a live action remake.  They definitely need to get Stitch's look right.

• Heart 2

2 hours ago, cooldude97 said:

EVERYONE: doom and gloom about comic book movies

ME: I wonder what Mario's legs will be like with a mostly empty april 

I came here from the reddit box office subreddit hoping it would be less hot takes with no data to back it up, and more actual analyzing the data, but sadly have been let down with the constant superhero fan warring.

For what it's worth I think Mario should do fantastically if it contains no "controversies" (it's Illumination, they're risk averse so it won't), and WOM is good, which it likely will be. I know Minions are kind of god-tier box office kings at this point, but Mario should beat Minions 2, at least domestically right? Especially with no competition for a full month? Maybe I'll look foolish in a few weeks but I have a hard time thinking this movie won't crush the box office with it's great trailers, especially with it's 1hr 32m runtime. Perfect runtime for a straight forward animated story like Mario. People won't get bored in the slightest.

7 minutes ago, ClarkZuckerberg said:

I came here from the reddit box office subreddit hoping it would be less hot takes with no data to back it up, and more actual analyzing the data, but sadly have been let down with the constant superhero fan warring.

For what it's worth I think Mario should do fantastically if it contains no "controversies" (it's Illumination, they're risk averse so it won't), and WOM is good, which it likely will be. I know Minions are kind of god-tier box office kings at this point, but Mario should beat Minions 2, at least domestically right? Especially with no competition for a full month? Maybe I'll look foolish in a few weeks but I have a hard time thinking this movie won't crush the box office with it's great trailers, especially with it's 1hr 32m runtime. Perfect runtime for a straight forward animated story like Mario. People won't get bored in the slightest.

There's hardly any superhero studio roasting.

People are just debating the box office potential which is perfectly fine.

Mario will be an absolute rocket. Only limiting factor is interest among the REALLY old (i.e. people over 55). Most other groups have either grown up with Mario or have children that have at this point. I have no idea why people would underestimate Mario other than age.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

This is really fudging it and is just being straight up guilty of bias based on timing:

Batman 1989 was one of the biggest blockbusters of all time at the time of release. Only 4 other films released that year managed even half of it's box office and one of them - that it still blew out of the water - was a freaking Indiana Jones movie in its pomp. No movie released in 1988, 1987, 1986 got close and you have to delve backwards to Jedi in 1983 and forwards to Jurassic Park in 1993 to better it: In other words it has a DECADE CLEARANCE on either side in terms of its success. It's box office towers even over titans in that era like Top Gun, Roger Rabbit,  Beverly Hills Cop, Ghost, Ghostbusters, 2 Indy films and Back to the Future

Now even as the resident person who thinks The Dark Knight is overrated crap I'm not going to pretend it didn't have a massive zeitgeist hit and  that even though it may be baffling to me it is still VERY well thought of. But the two are equivalents...not one over the other. And the call of 'definitive Batman movie' is especially confusing when applied to Dark Knight given how flagrantly disinterested Nolan is in the Batman character in the second and third films.

Batman 1989 was only the second truly successful superhero movie property ever and was absolutely gargantuan as a box office and cultural presence. Don't dismiss it or its legacy.

Yeah. Those of us that were around for Bat-mania in 1989 know it was on another planet of enormity to Dark Knight. It changed movies in terms of how they could be marketed and released. 

Plus the first two Burton films are easily as good as the first two Nolan films in their own way. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1
  • ...wtf 1

8 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

There's hardly any superhero studio roasting.

People are just debating the box office potential which is perfectly fine.

There is if its a bunch of generic posts on "superhero fatigue" rather than the obvious reason that movies from an already cancelled DC universe are being released as cash grabs. I think even the least aware audiences know that the main DC continuity is getting rebooted and aren't spending 10 dollars plus on tickets to 'em. That said Shazam ALSO has the Rock's greed screwing that particular series over. You couldn't have come up with a better means of making Shazam a non-event.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, wildphantom said:

Yeah. Those of us that were around for Bat-mania in 1989 know it was on another planet of enormity to Dark Knight. It changed movies in terms of how they could be marketed and released. 

Plus the first two Burton films are easily as good as the first two Nolan films in their own way. 

I think some younger people don't realize how massive a draw Nicholson as Joker was. Rock as Black Adam was like a kid doing a high school musical in comparison to how people reacted to Nicholson in that movie.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Spidey Freak said:

She's a mess. On the red carpet, she kinda threw the movie under the bus by saying she did it because she needed a job.

Well, Sandberg implied that as well with his recent comment, that he did this movie just for paycheck.