Issac Newton

Weekend Thread - 3/17-19 | Weekend Est. - Shazam II $30.5M, Scream VI $17.5M, Creed III $15.4M, LXV $5.8M, #AintMan $4.1M

I finally saw Puss in Boots this afternoon (y’all didn’t tell me about Jiminy Cricket who was hysterical!)

anyways, pretty packed full of families and there were voices all around the theatre from little children shouting ‘Mario!’ when the trailer hit the screen.  Was great to hear. 

• Like 3

Just now, wildphantom said:

I finally saw Puss in Boots this afternoon (y’all didn’t tell me about Jiminy Cricket who was hysterical!)

anyways, pretty packed full of families and there were voices all around the theatre from little children shouting ‘Mario!’ when the trailer hit the screen.  Was great to hear. 

The thing I really liked about PiB2, apart from Death, is that they didn't overdo the fairy tale stuff. We think it will be full of fairy tale and nursery rhymes characters but they limit it to just Goldilocks and Jack horner.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

I did mention the cricket (you just missed my review:).  I also thought he was hysterical:)...

5 hours ago, Favorite Fearless Legion said:

I must have missed the earlier posts in this argument but this is ridiculous. 89 had good BO but not on the level of TDK. And not in cultural impact either imo but that one is hard to measure.

Aren't you the guy who loves comparing movies when they were at their peaks? Because Batman 89 had the biggest opening weekend in history at the time and it was the fourth-biggest movie ever domestically. And yes, Dark Knight was second domestically, but that's only two spots off. How is that not the same level?

• Like 7

4 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

Oscar bump still prove its existence!

- (-) Everything Everywhere All At Once A24 $1,249,408 +260% 1,633 +1,049 $765 $75,583,702 52

- (-) The Whale A24 $145,230 +128% 509 +403 $285 $17,233,837 15

This is legit impressive to me. I don't know what other people's theaters are looking like, but these movies are only playing 1-2 showtimes a day at my local theater. They gave this more showtimes for some bizarre reason. Even using the "the award winners are now at home", this is just silly.

3 hours ago, AJG said:

WOM so bad even I didn't see it (I've only missed 3 MCU movies). 

Hopefully they're working on getting these movies back on track. Somebody has to know that there's a problem over there.

Gotta be honest, over the past few years, I've realized they really just should have ended these movies after Endgame. Not saying it was a perfect finale, but it still left the whole series on a good high note and everybody was happy and you didn't have to worry about topping pigs with pigs immediatley after. Then you had the whole "absence makes the heart grow fonder" thing where when you do come back, people are excited and ready for new adventures. Oh well. Guess Papa Feige learned the hard way from all this.

3 hours ago, kayumanggi said:

next week

Between JW4 breakout next week and Jesus Revolution going near 60m finish line (depending how much they keep the movie over Good Friday), Lionsgate finally got some breathing room in the marketplace.  

2 hours ago, Borobudur said:

I miss the old-fashioned Disney-style of re-expansion toward the end of the run like what they did to Pixar movie over the summer. WW and JW received similar wide re-expansion too. I hope A2 can one before closing the run by digital release on Mar 28 make me less confident about this expansion release. 

And before people talk about cultural impact, the most cultural irrelevant movie just made $2.3bn. 

This is only as a digital purchase though, so I don’t expect it to impact box office much if they want to do a big re-expansion push. And it’s totally stupid not to in April given the release slate. They can add an extra $10m easily and maybe get the 700 number to gloat about if they let it keep playing and slowly ticking along throughout summer before a D+ streaming release. 

50 minutes ago, Eric Batson said:

Aren't you the guy who loves comparing movies when they were at their peaks? Because Batman 89 had the biggest opening weekend in history at the time and it was the fourth-biggest movie ever domestically. And yes, Dark Knight was second domestically, but that's only two spots off. How is that not the same level?

Yes. Afaics Batman was 5th dom/7th WW (this might be off a spot because of rereleases) compared to TDak 2nd/4th. TDK also set the OW record — though not as impressively. That’s within the same ballpark but with a clear edge to TDK.

I was 17 in 1989 and I don't mean to pull rank on people here but unless you were actually alive and going to the movies in the summer of 1989 you have no idea the impact that Batman had on the landscape of movies. It was omnipotent. You think Heath Ledger got a lot of press and a lot of praise? You have no idea what the casting of Jack Nicholson did as the joker. It absolutely blew people away. So to think that the dark Knight had a bigger impact on whatever metric you want to use you're sorely mistaken. The dark Knight is incredible and one of my favorite movies of all time. I didn't even necessarily care for the original Batman and I hated Batman returns. But that doesn't mean that you can look at it any other way, the original Batman in 1989 basically started the superhero craze. Yes Superman came out about a decade before but I don't think that was even as big as batman.

And this is coming from an Indiana Jones looney. I thought Indiana Jones would dominate the summer but not only did it not win but it came in around 50 million less than what Batman made. Michael keaton, Jack nicholson, Prince and the bat dance, and of course Tim Burton all became the talk of the movie world. I think it's easy to try to overlook what a movie did when it came out more than 30 years ago. But again I was there in the summer of 89 and I can tell you that Batman was enormous.

• Like 16

10 minutes ago, CaptNathanBrittles said:

5 weeks ago there was a $100m difference between AM3 and A2 weekend gross. This week the difference is $2m.

Everytime i see people make this comparison i assume A2 is supposed to be Ant-man 2 because Avatar 2 is such an odd comparison.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eric Batson said:

This is legit impressive to me. I don't know what other people's theaters are looking like, but these movies are only playing 1-2 showtimes a day at my local theater. They gave this more showtimes for some bizarre reason. Even using the "the award winners are now at home", this is just silly.

Gotta be honest, over the past few years, I've realized they really just should have ended these movies after Endgame. Not saying it was a perfect finale, but it still left the whole series on a good high note and everybody was happy and you didn't have to worry about topping pigs with pigs immediatley after. Then you had the whole "absence makes the heart grow fonder" thing where when you do come back, people are excited and ready for new adventures. Oh well. Guess Papa Feige learned the hard way from all this.

Disney would've left literally billions at the table stopping at Endgame. Never gonna happen.

The Infinity Saga was tons of fun and phase 4/5 doesn't change that.

Also Marvel Studios has plenty of chances to rebound with Fantastic Four, Deadpool and X-men.

2 hours ago, ringedmortality said:

Let me introduce you to all the childless adults saving money for Mario 

Yeah, but Mario killed Shazam's chances of a kid audience specifically. John Wick killed Shazam's chances of an adult audience specifically. If we're going there we should probably argue about 12 year olds sneaking into John Wick or whatever.

Edited by MightyDargon