Reveal hidden contents

Should be higher.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Spoiler

NOPE

1UoMakx.png 

r4JTArR.png 

Jordan Peele’s follow-up to Get Out and Us was not as well received as his initial 2 outings but still had a lot of smart ideas within it, even though they weren’t realized well enough. Anchored by 3 great performances at its center (4 counting a monkey), Nope was a different style of alien encounter movie with the idea of Hollywood and the movies always looming over it.

User reviews:

Nope is the best film that Jordan Peele has made. The film plot about society's desensitization to "spectacle" really spoke to me. Everyone is great in this and the cinematography blew my mind

A+

@Reddroast is Altaire

The last act of this went so fucking hard. Movie of the summer confirmed.

@lorddemaxus

Loved this, and it’s absolutely worth paying the extra for IMAX, it looks and especially sounds incredible.

@SnokesLegs

• Like 13

Spoiler

THE NORTHMAN

vcR8vTV.png 

owL0l9k.png 

Haven’t seen, but the poster gave me Tarzan mixed with Vikings vibes

User reviews:

The Northman goes all in on its setting and comes out with a film that stands apart from other films of the current film climate as a auteur-driven historical epic. The film has great performances from all actors, unforgettable set-pieces, and a thrilling climax. I gave it a B, but for me it's on the fence between A and B.

@Hogar SLAM!

The film really showed how brutal anicent times could be really unlike anything i seen.

@Torontofan

• Like 14

On 3/28/2023 at 3:17 PM, grim22 said:

Reveal hidden contents

Should be higher

Spoiler

AFTERSUN

DUsmHvx.png 

nTmqatP.png 

A great movie I will only ever watch once. As the dad of 2 daughters, this movie left me hugging my kids a bit harder. At its surface, it’s a dad-daughter bonding movie but just off screen there’s tragedy hiding in plain sight. A great great performance by Paul Mescal and his natural chemistry with Frankie Corio really brings the dad-daughter relationship to life.

User reviews:

This movie is a gem. It floored me but I loved it so, so, so much. Terrific performances, and a dark subtext. Deserves all the love and awards it's getting. 

@Ed Raven

• Like 12

Spoiler

GLASS ONION

rFRAKEG.png 

WPb7yDw.png 

A worthy sequel to BOT’s favorite movie of 2019. Glass Onion was more slick compared to Knives Out and had bigger names from the first but felt lesser than the first one while still not being bad in itself. A fun way to spend 2 hours, Rian Johnson brings his “Howdunit” storytelling to this after the first Knives Out and Poker Face. And it did give us this spectacular moment of Hugh Grant deciding he had enough with red carpet questions at the Oscars

User reviews:
It was a fun ride, though the other Disrupters didn't seem broken up enough to learn Cole murdered Andi. I don't know if I believed them as a friend group (maybe if they'd known each other from college?) or if I liked the extended flashback. What a random Frank TJ Mackey shoutout.

Setting the story during a specific point in the pandemic was a good way to incorporate Covid without trying to be The Seminal Coronavirus Movie. There was a great bit of character development in the different ways everyone approached masking.

What timing for the ultimate villain to be a billionaire tech guru who's actually not all that smart. I enjoyed the celebrity archtypes being skewered and wonder which types of rich a-holes Knives Out 3 will inevitably tackle.

@BoxOfficeFangrl

Will go against the current and say I preferred it to the first one; while the culprit is pretty obvious once the actual plot is underway, it does a better job at avoiding predictability in some of its subplots, and I had more fun with the cast this time around. The antics can drag a bit during the first act, but I had a lot of fun.

8/10

@JustLurking

This movie is pretty good, and seeing how angry it’s making people like Ben Shapiro and The Critical Drinker is a nice cherry on top. I’m looking forward to the next one. I wish these movies didn’t get sold to Netflix. 

@WittyUsername

• Like 12

Spoiler

GUILLERMO DEL TORO’S PINOCCHIO

I4vJEQW.png 

T0ZbaHK.png 

Haven’t seen, but Pinocchio dealing with fascism seems logical for 2022 for sure

User reviews:

Yeah, this is pretty excellent

@YM! is St Peter

Saw this the other day. Gorgeous animation, really beautiful and moving film overall. Stop motion is such a no brainer for Del Toro's sensibilities.

@TheDude391

Oh yeah this was great. Enhances the original story's complex ideas by committing to the darker ones.

@Lucas

• Like 15

101 Hocus Pocus 2
102 Pacifiction 
103 Pinocchio
104 The Innocents
105 Ticket to paradise 
106 Mrs Harris goes to paris
107 Kimi
108 The Roundup
109 Till
110 Matchmaking
111 The School of Good and Evil
112 Clerks 3
113 Return to Seoul
114 You Won't Be Alone
115 Bobs Burgers
116 See how they run
117 Uncharted
118 Inu-Oh
119 Brahmastra
120 This Place Rules
  • Like 5

55 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Reveal hidden contents

Genuinely surprised it's this low on the list.

3 hours ago, grim22 said:

Hide contents

AFTERSUN

DUsmHvx.png 

nTmqatP.png 

A great movie I will only ever watch once. As the dad of 2 daughters, this movie left me hugging my kids a but harder. At its surface, it’s a dad-daughter bonding movie but just off screen there’s tragedy hiding in plain sight. A great great performance by Paul Mescal and his natural chemistry with Frankie Corio really brings the dad-daughter relationship to life.

User reviews:

This movie is a gem. It floored me but I loved it so, so, so much. Terrific performances, and a dark subtext. Deserves all the love and awards it's getting. 

@Ed Raven

hadn't seen it when I turned in my list; would have made my top 5 

• Like 1

I just checked the list I sent and apparently I just wrote Pinocchio, without specifying further, when I meant the GDT version. I hope this didn't hurt its ranking. 

10 hours ago, grim22 said:
101 Hocus Pocus 2
102 Pacifiction 
103 Pinocchio
104 The Innocents
105 Ticket to paradise 
106 Mrs Harris goes to paris
107 Kimi
108 The Roundup
109 Till
110 Matchmaking
111 The School of Good and Evil
112 Clerks 3
113 Return to Seoul
114 You Won't Be Alone
115 Bobs Burgers
116 See how they run
117 Uncharted
118 Inu-Oh
119 Brahmastra
120 This Place Rules

While I'm sure it won't make it very high anyway, this is the second time Bob's burgers shows up in the lower ranks.

On 3/28/2023 at 3:54 AM, grim22 said:

One other small fact - this year also sees a major first, something that has not happened since I started doing these lists. Not even in the Year-End 2020 list. I will reveal what exactly that is once #1 is revealed but it will be obvious prior to then.

First time no SH movie in the top 25? 

Spoiler

TURNING RED

uv2Shl2.png 

uUoQzrX.png 

A movie which, as the meme goes, did not deal with 9/11. Pixar returned in 2023 with a theatrical movie about a man behind a toy but not the toy (or some such nonsense) and one streaming direct with Turning Red. One of many movies about generational trauma between Asian moms and daughters, this was by far the best Pixar movie of 2023. With a great voice cast and some good songs by BTS stand-ins, this was a genuinely good movie to watch.

User reviews:

New favorite Pixar movie, certainly up there with The Incredibles, Ratatouille, Inside Out, etc.

I like how frank this movie can be, like when Mei's mother accuses Devon (dairy clerk) of using drugs.

The climax was kind of a surprise for me.

@cannastop

Start was a bit jarring and the lead came of annoying but once the "turn" happens she is pretty good and emotional state is conveyed pretty well and love this movie was kind of fun and mildly edgy in a fun way that blends will with the theme of the movie. 

Some bits of the third act didn't come well together but overall I enjoyed the film.

Is it Pixar at its best . Not quite but still another solid Pixar outing.

A- 

@Liiviig 1998

An absolute delight. The script has a depth to it that we don't often find in kids fare, the message is presented well without any preachiness, the Toronto 2002 setting is used well, the jokes land, the soundtrack is great (I'm gonna be listening to those 4*TOWN songs for a while), the animation is beautiful (and would've been great to see on a big screen), and the voice performances (from newcomer Rosalie Chiang and the always wonderful Sandra Oh) are excellent. I'm not quite sure I would name it among Pixar's very best, but it's another winner that serves as a reminder of why they along with Disney remain the unopposed Kings of Animation. A-

@filmlover

• Like 10