Eric is Quiet

THE SUPER MARIO BROS MOVIE WEEKEND THREAD

I will gladly take a small increase over the flat / small decrease that the past would indicate 😁

Heres to hoping Sunday just keeps it up. At least we know, barring catastrophic things, not of the film, it should easily join the 500m club which is crazy for an animated film - especially when such ones as Dory and F2 couldn't get there. 

• Like 1

I think the thing people are maybe overlooking in SMB performance is that the character has been around for so damn long and this is it's first proper representation in a movie. It's been pretty much just games for 30 years.  This is the very first time anyone is getting to see Mario as he is in the games, but on the big screen.

From what I can tell by the wiki for Pokemon films, there was one a year for like 20 damn years!  And the first few got stateside releases and did pretty well!  But, point being,  if you have ever wanted to watch a movie with your favorite Pokemons, you could!

This is literally it for Mario, and it will never be bigger than this and Pokemon will never come close, sorry. 

• Like 12

16 minutes ago, narniadis said:

I will gladly take a small increase over the flat / small decrease that the past would indicate 😁

Heres to hoping Sunday just keeps it up. At least we know, barring catastrophic things, not of the film, it should easily join the 500m club which is crazy for an animated film - especially when such ones as Dory and F2 couldn't get there. 

Thats true however it is important to remember that Mario is the biggest IP between them by far.

Did “Air” really cost $70-90m? If so, that $5m Friday isn’t all that impressive. 

Also: Detective Pikachu was forgettable and not very good. That’s probably why it didn’t do as well as people thought it would. IMO.

Edited by Krissykins

10 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Did “Air” really cost $70-90m? If so, that $5m Friday isn’t all that impressive. 

Also: Detective Pikachu was forgettable and not very good. That’s probably why it didn’t do as well as people thought it would. IMO.

Amazon paid a ton of money for it and Air has a pretty unique pay structure for its creatives that resulted in a high budget like that due to the Artists Equity production.

Still if this did like 60-70m DOM in this climate, budget aside, that's pretty good given how poor adult dramas were doing last Fall. 

• Like 1

• Community Manager
1 hour ago, expensiveho said:

Current Pokemon generations are not accessible and not really mainstream anymore. 

Not mainstream anymore? Pokemon Scarlet and Violet have sold over 20 million copies so far. That's almost as much as Gold/Silver and more than Ruby/Saphire. Sword/Shield sold 25 million...that's more than Gold/Silver (and equivalent to sales to Super Mario Odyssey, the latest main Mario game). 

• Like 9

14 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Not too familiar with all the Pokémon games but the Pokémon anime is one of the prime Things that you like as a kid and you realize is extremely stupid as an adult. Kind of like Power Rangers 

I will never forget my brother and I going to a friend’s house. Brother was in high school and I was in middle school, and we saw our friend had Pokémon 3 on VHS. We were all so hyped and excited to relive the nostalgia again, only to discover it was the dumbest thing we had ever seen. Was probably my first instance of “wow, not everything I loved as a kid holds up.”

12 minutes ago, cheesypoofs said:

I'm happy to see this movie doing so well. Definitely the most fun I've had with an animated movie in who knows how long. And that's not a shot at other animated movies, I just really loved this a lot

you should watch rise of gru, its the same basic illumination movie as Mario but done much better

Edited by interiorgatordecorator
  • Like 3
  • Knock It Off 3

• Community Manager
2 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

you should watch rise of gru, its the same basic illumination movie as Mario but done much better

Now that you tried to build something up by tearing something else down, I now know Rise of Gru can't stand on it's own two feet and isn't worth checking out.

• Like 2
  • Disbelief 1

6 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

Uh no. In fact it's the total reverse. The only good thing about that movie is that it's better than the first Minions. That's it. The only problem is that that is an extremely low bar so.....

Edited by Starrow5722

• Community Manager
Just now, CoolioD1 said:

i think a proper pokemon movie would be the flop of the century but a digimon movie would make 3 billion dollars. Those are the facts of the case.

now yu-gi-oh that would be the real shit

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Eric is Gay for Bowser said:

I will never forget my brother and I going to a friend’s house. Brother was in high school and I was in middle school, and we saw our friend had Pokémon 3 on VHS. We were all so hyped and excited to relive the nostalgia again, only to discover it was the dumbest thing we had ever seen. Was probably my first instance of “wow, not everything I loved as a kid holds up.”

But I at least sat through Pokémon 3 in its entirety. I remember watching some clips of The Amanda Show, which was one of my favorite things to watch growing up. I could barely get through 30 seconds of that garbage as an adult. How my parents tolerated me watching it every single day is beyond me.

3 minutes ago, Torontofan said:

Another thing is mario is quite popular with females which is not true for many video game based properties that turn into movies. 

Yeah. Luigi has got a lot of sex appeal.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 2

25 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

Not mainstream anymore? Pokemon Scarlet and Violet have sold over 20 million copies so far. That's almost as much as Gold/Silver and more than Ruby/Saphire. Sword/Shield sold 25 million...that's more than Gold/Silver (and equivalent to sales to Super Mario Odyssey, the latest main Mario game). 

As a comparison, the fastest-selling first party launch worldwide in PlayStation history was last year's God of War: Ragnarök.

Scarlet / Violet almost doubled its sales (despite mixed reviews). Both at launch and 3 months later.

--------------------

As for Detective Pikachu, I remember it had weird marketing choices. They spent a lot of time and money targeting the "wrong" demographics (and taking families for granted). Like their insane placements at Coachella, for instance.