Eric Prime

WGA/SAGAFTRA Strike Discussion Thread | SAG Ratifies Contract

16 minutes ago, Youngstar said:

They probably applied for that interim agreement at least 1 month ago. (I have seen several projects take forever to get one).Has probably nothing to do with the current status of the negotiations.

I could in fact see it as a, perhaps minor, pressure tactic on the part of SAG.  If there are some last minute minor hangups that could possibly be sticking points, SAG might be using this as a "Well, look, we're already making deals with semi-major players and your productions are gonna be at a disadvantage if you continue to hold out over super minor points."

Could be a coincidence.  But, man, timing smells... interesting is how I would put it.  Hell, could be that a deal is in fact "all but done" and Lionsgate wanted to be the first out of the gate and get a leg up on competition when it comes to promotion.  "Daylight's burning" as the phrase goes.

As for asking for a waiver a month ago?  Think if that was the case they would have tried harder to get it sped up since Saw X was coming out around then.  But, yeah, could have been applied a while back.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Mind, I do get it, @Bob Train.  The bigger story is Lionsgate agreeing to SAG-AFRTA's proposed contract terms.  Or at least should be.

Back in 2008, a WGA/Lionsgate agreement was one of the signs of the dam breaking and an incoming overall deal with the AMPTP:

Now I don't know if a SAG-AFTRA/Lionsgate deal is actually new info or not, as I really don't recall.  But them getting one is absolutely significant as even if they aren't as big as they once were Lionsgate isn't exactly that small.

ETA:::

Checking around 100% new information, as I thought.  Though, again interestingly, I'm not seeing much framing about this AS a SAG/Lionsgate agreement.  Though, again again, searching Twitter via Nitter isn't exactly easy.

Well, the interim agreements will adapt to the new deal (when studios and actors reach one). 

For example: The Hunger Games prequel won't likely go onto streaming until they reach a deal. So, the rules of the new deal will be applied instead of the intering agreement rules.

1 minute ago, AMC Theaters Enjoyer said:

Ticket sales for Hunger Games start tomorrow right? Rather perfect timing, things are looking a bit better for it.

All the talk shows are hungry for content, so THG actors should easily get spots over the next few days while the other Nov and Dec movie actors are still blocked from appearing. This is a tremendous advantage.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Porthos said:

I could in fact see it as a, perhaps minor, pressure tactic on the part of SAG.  If there are some last minute minor hangups that could possibly be sticking points, SAG might be using this as a "Well, look, we're already making deals with semi-major players and your productions are gonna be at a disadvantage if you continue to hold out over super minor points."

Could be a coincidence.  But, man, timing smells... interesting is how I would put it.  Hell, could be that a deal is in fact "all but done" and Lionsgate wanted to be the first out of the gate and get a leg up on competition when it comes to promotion.  "Daylight's burning" as the phrase goes.

As for asking for a waiver a month ago?  Think if that was the case they would have tried harder to get it sped up since Saw X was coming out around then.  But, yeah, could have been applied a while back.

2 minutes ago, AMC Theaters Enjoyer said:

Ticket sales for Hunger Games start tomorrow right? Rather perfect timing, things are looking a bit better for it.

Yeah, the timing of this is incredible. It’s also horrible timing for Marvels/Disney! I expect they’re feeling a lot of pressure right now,  because if Hunger Games prequel manages to get a lot more awareness now, and considering it comes out a week after The Marvels, it could end up actually stealing some audience from The Marvels, and well, that movie is even more screwed than we thought then! I’m sure Disney is keenly aware of it.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, AMC Theaters Enjoyer said:

Double checked, and according datpepper, looks like it's Wed (unless plans changed).  But close enough, sure. 

3 minutes ago, Maggie said:

I wouldn't think much of this Hunger Games update. According to the interview i posted on the last page, things are far from over

I wouldn't take anything either side says in public as gospel right now when it comes to the length of the strike or how close they are to a deal as negotiators have... let's call them "incentives" to not show their hand until an agreement is actually reached.

(in fact, as tone goes, that's a rather optimistic tone from a labor negotiator, at least IMO)

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, AMC Theaters Enjoyer said:

46 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Double checked, and according datpepper, looks like it's Wed (unless plans changed).  But close enough, sure. 

Turns out I missed an update on my double check and it is indeed tomorrow (Oct 31).  So, never mind me. Oops. :lol: 

3 hours ago, Porthos said:

TBH Expendables 4 was doomed either way and Saw X wouldn't have needed much promo from actors since it's a long running franchise. Hunger Games is really Lionsgate's last hope for 2023. 

Will definitely be the biggest test yet as to how much actor promotion affects movie marketability since most of the movie's that received interim agreements these past few months have been too niche in appeal. The stars for Priscilla have been doing the rounds, but everyone already knew that movie was always going to be lucky to make 1/10th of what last year's flashy Elvis biopic did.

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

Will definitely be the biggest test yet as to how much actor promotion affects movie marketability since most of the movie's that received interim agreements these past few months have been too niche in appeal. The stars for Priscilla have been doing the rounds, but everyone already knew that movie was always going to be lucky to make 1/10th of what last year's flashy Elvis biopic did.

THG got an interm agreement, by far the biggest movie yet. Should be interesting comparing THG and Marvels, if the strike still isn't resolved by the time that movie opens.

Edited by Mojoguy

From the Deadline piece:

EXCLUSIVE: “There’s still a lot of work to be done.” 

That’s the word from a well-positioned individual today on the true state of a new three-year contract between striking SAG-AFTRA and the studios.

“There’s a lot of common ground now, and we are building on that,” a studio source close to the talks said of recent movement between the parties. “Details still have to be determined, but we’re heading in the right direction,” a wary guild insider told Deadline, noting at the same time that there is some “significant steps” before a tentative agreement is anywhere near on the table.

The AMPTP, a quartet of studio CEOs and guild leaders have been in direct talks since October 24. Following the sudden suspension of renewed talks by the studios on October 11, this latest round of negotiations came out of a call from Disney’s Bob Iger to SAG-AFTRA chief negotiator Duncan Crabtree-Ireland on October 21, the 100th day of the strike.

Moving towards Halloween, as a new set of rumors that a deal in the nearly 110-day strike is just a day or two away swirl around Tinseltown, numerous sources on both sides tell us the buzzwords remain “caution” and “optimism. A studio source advises: “Things are moving along, but everything takes time.”

Sounds good.  I'll take this state of negotiations over this time last week.

“Anyone who tells you there’s a done deal just doesn’t know what’s really going on,” an industry eminence also warned

@Plain Old Tele has been promoted to "INDUSTRY EMINENCE"!!!!!!:ohmygod:

(more deets at the piece in question)

I know the chances of this are practically zero, but when this is all said and done if word ever comes out that Some Rando got their wires crossed about the interim deal between SAG and Lionsgate taking shape before it was officially announced and somehow conflated that with a deal with SAG and the AMPTP proper, I will laugh and laugh and laugh and laugh.

I'll then pause and laugh some more for good measure. 👍

Edited by Porthos

20 minutes ago, Porthos said:

I know the chances of this are practically zero, but when this is all said and done if word ever comes out that Some Rando got their wires crossed about the interim deal between SAG and Lionsgate taking shape before it was officially announced and somehow conflated that with a deal with SAG and the AMPTP proper, I will laugh and laugh and laugh and laugh.

I'll then pause and laugh some more for good measure. 👍

Me too! Who doesn't dig a fun snafu story (see the Best Picture mix-up at the Oscars in 2017, or even better, the Steve Harvey/Miss Universe mess)?

• Like 1