Eric Prime

WGA/SAGAFTRA Strike Discussion Thread | SAG Ratifies Contract

3 hours ago, Plain Old Tele said:

Not Funny Lol GIF by WWE

I’ve passed into the West when it comes to fandom these days. :lol: I steer clear of pretty much any and all discussion. 

Got to admit, I still wonder occasionally What Might Have Been if you had landed a certain job that ended up going to a friend of yours.

(Okay, prob not much if anything - still, who knows? :rock:)

Edited by Porthos

36 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Got to admit, I still wonder occasionally What Might Have Been if you had landed a certain job that ended up going to a friend of yours.

(Okay, prob not much if anything - still, who knows? :rock:)

Title: Resident Star Wars Shill and Apologist 🧐😂

• Haha 1

On 5/11/2023 at 10:50 AM, Plain Old Tele said:

For anyone who’s interested in TV writing and the strike, I recommend the new special podcast episode of “Children of Tendu” — two high-level veteran TV writers breaking down how things have changed in the last decade or two. Javi and Jose are big-time nerds and their conversations are always off-the-cuff and meander into anecdotes and goofy jokes but they always give a lot of info and insight. 

https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR0cHM6Ly9jaGlsZHJlbm9mdGVuZHUubGlic3luLmNvbS9yc3M/episode/MDk3OGRjZjctNWM2NS00YWMxLThkNDQtYTQwN2RkMzQxOGJi
(or just find Children of Tendu in your favorite podcast app)

Gave it listen, really entertaining, but also kind of depressing how much things have changed, seemingly for the worse, with the rise of streaming. Appreciate the insight, and still find it crazy with the all the money being thrown around by the streamers these past few years, that they would scrimp on writing so much, or at the very least not try to provide more opportunities to develop younger talent. Seems so myopic. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, elcaballero said:

Gave it listen, really entertaining, but also kind of depressing how much things have changed, seemingly for the worse, with the rise of streaming. Appreciate the insight, and still find it crazy with the all the money being thrown around by the streamers these past few years, that they would scrimp on writing so much, or at the very least not try to provide more opportunities to develop younger talent. Seems so myopic. 

It’s totally depressing and similar stuff is happening to actors too. Overall this feels like a watershed moment in the industry: either the unions (collectively or individually) claw away enough protections and pay to avoid the worst of the exploitation, or it’ll all crumble into a gig economy where most people in the biz can’t make a functional living working in it. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

On 5/7/2023 at 3:25 PM, SpiderByte said:

DGA and SAG contracts end in the end of June, btw

Reminds me of the first writing contract I signed (I'm not in the US, so I'm not WGA) where they put in language where I gave up all royalties for the outer space and other planets if they were ever colonized. No Mars royalties for me :( 

Anyway, this is a reminder that producers will make you give up every single thing they can think of unless legally prevented from doing so - bargaining power will always be unequal - which is why this strike and the upcoming ones are so important to protect talent from predatory practices.

Also, so you know how bad things are in the ROTW, every single contract I sign nowadays has a clause where they can fire me if I ever join the WGA,

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Celedhring said:

Reminds me of the first writing contract I signed (I'm not in the US, so I'm not WGA) where they put in language where I gave up all royalties for the outer space and other planets if they were ever colonized. No Mars royalties for me :( 

Drunk The Expanse GIF by Amazon Prime Video

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 5/13/2023 at 2:26 PM, Plain Old Tele said:

It’s totally depressing and similar stuff is happening to actors too. Overall this feels like a watershed moment in the industry: either the unions (collectively or individually) claw away enough protections and pay to avoid the worst of the exploitation, or it’ll all crumble into a gig economy where most people in the biz can’t make a functional living working in it. 

which is Why I am loosing interest in movies as a serious art  from. Thank heaven for books.

On 5/12/2023 at 9:02 PM, Plain Old Tele said:

Not Funny Lol GIF by WWE

I’ve passed into the West when it comes to fandom these days. :lol: I steer clear of pretty much any and all discussion. 

Same here. I just occasionally go to the Tolkien pages just for the laughs at the silliness.

The DGA seems to be digging in as well.

I  really think we stand a prettygood chance of a total shutdown of production somewhere along theline. I think many have decided it's now or never to take a stand.

9 minutes ago, dudalb said:

I  really think we stand a prettygood chance of a total shutdown of production somewhere along theline. I think many have decided it's now or never to take a stand.

I think Hollywood would do everything to prevent total shutdown or if a shutdown did happen to not let it drag out for months. 

14 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I think Hollywood would do everything to prevent total shutdown or if a shutdown did happen to not let it drag out for months. 

I agreee, but then the Studio heads are a stubborn , arrogant lot.

4 hours ago, dudalb said:

I know people need their jobs but I could really go for no new content being released for 6 months.

There’s too many things. I have too much to catch-up on. We have access to millions of older movies I have never seen. 6 months of absolutely nothing new seems kinda peaceful.