Issac Newton

Weekend Thread | Friday #s: Mario 14.1, Evil Dead 10.3, Covenant 2.25, John Wick 1.6, Air 1.4

Imo, The Little Mermaid is the only movie that has a real chance of breaking out (touching a billion). Elemental is going to struggle methinks. It will either bomb or just medium. I just can’t see it doing anything big.

Spider-Verse 2 will increase, but my biggest problem after seeing the trailer is that they are doing way too much with this art style. The first movie was nice, but this is like going so overboard that it is not aesthetically pleasing anymore. It’s unnecessary busy visual noise that could potentially turn a lot of people off. It’s just not very mainstream-looking, if that makes sense—less so than the first one even. It looks more and more like an art-house indie short film. Those don’t do well because of the weird art styles. It just looks niche.

I can’t see families with kids going to see it either (the visuals, the flashing lights, idk). Also, It feels very young male adult/teen oriented. 

Edited by OceanBlvd

I think I've got Spidey #1, MI7 #2, and then throw the rest at the wall and see which one is allowed to eke out late legs to beat the others or which one offers a $5 deal to spur in GA or which one actually is spectacular...aka, the battle of the $200-$299s DOM movies...

33 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

army of darkness is my favourite evil dead movie because i'm a dumbass who thinks those goofy skeletons are funny. liked the remake and looking forward to rise but lets get another evil dead with that vibe.

Do you like Drag Me To Hell?

38 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

army of darkness is my favourite evil dead movie because i'm a dumbass who thinks those goofy skeletons are funny. liked the remake and looking forward to rise but lets get another evil dead with that vibe.

Dr. Strange 2 though...

One day the internet will realize how fun that movie is

• Like 1
  • Disbelief 1

FRIDAY

MIDDAY: Illumination/Universal’s Super Mario Bros Movie, of course, remains a huge reason to go to the movies in its third sesh which is looking at $13.5M today, and a third weekend of $56M at 4,350 theaters, -39%, sending the Nintendo movie to $432.1M by Sunday. Big theater average over $12K here.

And despite two horror movies going at it last weekend, Universal’s Renfield and Screen Gem’s Pope’s Exorcist, which filed in the high single digits, the arrival of a third this weekend is proving reason for horror fans to go out as they’re spending $9M+ today (including last night’s $2.5M previews) and between $18M-$22M for the Sam Raimi executive produced Evil Dead Rise. Rivals see the pic’s 3-day higher, but like all horror films, it comes down to Saturday night as business is typically frontloaded for such fare.

The rest of the chart looks like:

3) Guy Ritchie’s Covenant (MGM) 2,611 theaters Fri $2.1M, 3-day $5.7M/Wk 1

4) John Wick: Chapter 4 (LG) 2,685 theaters Fri $1.4M (-33%), 3-day $5.3M (-34%), Total $168.4M/Wk 5

5.) Dungeons & Dragons (Par) 2,960 theaters, Fri $1.35M (-31%), 3-day $5.2M (-30%), Total $82M/Wk 4

6) Air (AMZ) 2,823 theaters Fri $1.4M, 3-day $5.1M (-35%), Total $41.4M/Wk 3

• Like 3

Also from Deadline

Notables:

Renfield (Uni) 3,378 theaters, Fri $1M (-68%), 3-day $3.4M (-58%), Total $13.9M/Wk 2

Beau is Afraid (A24) 926 theaters, Fri $1.3M (+822%), 3-day $3.3M (+931%), PTA $3,5K Total $3.8M/Wk 2

Chevalier (Sea) 1,275 theaters, Fri $440K, $902 PTA, 3-day $1.15M,/Wk 1

1 hour ago, TMP said:

sneider heard it was a bit of a disaster, with duelling edits rn

I haven't personally heard it's a disaster but dueling edits is possible, I know it's tested a bunch of times and is going again on Monday in Orange.

Air is realy starting to look like a big flop. 50M total. Superbowl spot. Major marketing push. Rave reviews. Can't even do like 70M like Moneyball. People are not going out of the house if it isn't horror or big commercial blockbuster. 

• Like 3
  • ...wtf 1

7 minutes ago, CJohn said:

People are not going out of the house if it isn't horror or big commercial blockbuster. 

Crawdads Sings, Elvis, Everywhere Everything All At Once, Sonic 2, Puss In Boots, Cocaine Bear 

1 hour ago, keysersoze123 said:

I hope the numbers stick for the holdovers(except mario). They are all very good holds. Evil Dead should hit 20m+ if it has 6.5m+ true friday. Covenant is a huge bomb. 

do you think $15M Friday doable for Mario?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Air is realy starting to look like a big flop. 50M total. Superbowl spot. Major marketing push. Rave reviews. Can't even do like 70M like Moneyball. People are not going out of the house if it isn't horror or big commercial blockbuster. 

Air is just such a watch at home movie. I mean, nothing about it screams “spend $22” which is what it now costs in NYC

25 minutes ago, nerves said:

do you think $15M Friday doable for Mario?

I think I am mostly wrong on this one :-) To me its defying gravity. Ratios seen are hitherto unseen. 

That said Its too early for me to chime in even if I can. Let us see where things are later this evening. You never say not possible for this one for sure. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3