kayumanggi

2024 Box Office Predictions and Discussion

On 1/3/2024 at 9:19 PM, Relevation said:

Yeah

- People love the first Inside Out, it’s 9 years out putting it in a good time space for a big nostalgia boost

- Pixar nostalgia direct sequels kinda have a perfect track record as of late (Toy Story 3, Finding Dory, Incredibles 2, Toy Story 4)

- The Pixar brand is still very strong theatrically (they launched an original fantasy romcom to global numbers bigger than 6/8 superhero movies last year, one dud with a whole host of unique handicaps is not emblematic of an entire brand’s strength)

- I expect it to at least get very good audience reception with its touching on mental health and anxiety likely resonating big time with audiences and crucially with Gen Z and the 18-24 demographic, a major fueler of recent young skewing breakouts (Mario, The Rise of Gru, Barbie)

- It’s in a wide open June with no other strong 4 quadrant blockbusters, and I expect it to have good legs

- The anticipation and hype is very big, it launched to the biggest 24hr trailer views for a Disney animated film ever 

So yeah, all those factors combined are why I’m pencilling in a prediction of $135M OW / $540M DOM (4x legs) / $1.175B WW and by a significant margin the biggest movie of 2024

Fun Fact: Overseas, Elemental beat 7/8 superhero movies in 2023, and that's with a very minimal China gross ($16M). 

Edited by HummingLemon496

On 2/26/2024 at 5:52 PM, stripe said:

Looking at March, I would say 600-700M is the range. In 2023, the gross was around 640M.

Openers (500-575M) - THEY WILL GROSS 640M

Dune part 2: 180-190M - IN THE END, AROUND 253M

Cabrini: 30-40M - SLIGHTLY UNDER 20M 

Imaginary: 35-45M - A BIT OVER 25M

Kung Fu Panda 4: 90-100M - OVERPERFORMED TO AROUND 150M

Arthur the King: 40-50M - CLOSE TO 20M

One Live: 5-10M - CLOSE TO 5M

Ghostbusters: 70-80M - OVER 75M

Godzilla x Kong: 40-50M - IT LOOKS LIKE A 65M+ OPENING

Rest of openers: 10M - AROUND 30M (GREAT!)

Holdovers (100-120M) - IN THE END, AROUND 75M

Bob Marley - 35-40M - WAY SHORT, TO 21M

Ordinary Angels: 20M - LEGS WERENT AS I GUESSED, JUST 10M IN MARCH

Madame web: 10M - NOT EVEN MANAGED TO REACH THAT MARK, 6M

Chosen: 5-10M - SPOT ON, 6M

Oscar Expansions: 5-10M - ABOUT 6M

Rest: 20M - OVER 25M

Bolded the probable final March grosses. Was too cautious with tentpoles and too optimistic with minor wide openers & holdovers.
Anyways, good news this month. It will close to around 720M.

Next week I will try to take a look at April.

• Like 1

What are everyone's predictions for Ryan's World The Movie: Titan Universe Adventure releasing in 2,100 theaters on August 16th?

It's a real movie coming out and no joke I think it has the chance to be the next Oogieloves.

Edited by BoogieFever

19 minutes ago, BoogieFever said:

What are everyone's predictions for Ryan's World The Movie: Titan Universe Adventure releasing in 2,100 theaters on August 16th?

It's a real movie coming out and no joke I think it has the chance to be the next Oogieloves.

Probably won’t crack the top 50. 🙃

On 2/25/2024 at 8:09 PM, JimmyB said:

February is finally over.  360m'ish gross for the month under 1996 February's box office.

I was thinking March 2024 would match March 2023 but digging deeper into the numbers the holdovers from February are super weak but I think the smaller films like Cabrini, Arthur the King and Imaginary close the gap. I think March grosses 620m a little under March 2023 638m.

Dune 180m

Kung Fu Panda 100m

Cabrini, Arthur the King and Imaginary 50m each.

Ghostbusters 80m.

Kong 60m.

February holders 50m.

Boxofficemojo has March's box office at 752m could go up or down a little once actuals come in but a solid 18% increase over March 2023.  2015-2019 March box office averaged 925m.  So, still down alot vs pre covid.

What I got right about March 2024 was February holders were going to do poorly and they did.  Everything else I got wrong, lol.  Dune just carrying the month. Grossing around 34% of the entire month's box office. 

The new comers that weren't known IP did poorly.  Imaginary (26m), Cabrini (18.1m), Arthur (19m), Love Lies Bleeding (7m), Immaculate (11m). Wish something would have broken out for at least 40-50m.

April 2024 is going to be all about the March holdovers.  Kong, Dune,, GB, Panda and the other holdovers 210m.  

New comers...Monkey Man and the Omen both 25-30m.  Civil War 50m. Abigail 30m. Ungentlemanly Warfare and Spy X  both 15m. Challengers 25m.  Other films 20m.  420m for the month. Just a BRUTAL month unless one of the new releases pops.  

April ‘24 might not be amazing for the box office, but it looks really great from a quality pov imo. Hopefully we got a breakout or two as well, but considering how dry the year has been so far outside of Dune - it’s pretty cool to finally have projects to look forward to

• Like 1

On 3/29/2024 at 11:46 PM, BoogieFever said:

Interestingly enough that movie's having its premiere at the Cleveland Film Festival next week. Either they have legit confidence in it or they assume it's an obscure enough local festival that word of its quality won't get to NY/LA tastemakers. 

It's part chibi-anime so that probably gives it a little more mainstream interest.  

Edited by AniNate

1 hour ago, HummingLemon496 said:

I'm convinced Inside Out 2 is blowing up, the same guy who predicted Mario and Barbie to blow up pre-tracking is also predicting Inside Out to explode

Is inside out 2 the only film his prediction to explode this year so far?

Looking at April, it’s full of uncertainty. But in a fascinating way, IMHO. I like this kind of months, with many quality offers and original movies. I would say crossing 500M is the baseline, and match 2022’s 570M a very good end. Not fair to compare it with April 2023, when SMB exploded.

Openers (275-325M)

Monkey Man: 60-70M

First Omen: 25-30M

SUGA: 20-30M

Civil War: 70-80M

Ministry of Ungentlemenly Warfare: 15-20M

Abigail: 35-40M

Challengers: 10-15M

Unsung Hero: 10M

Rest of openers: 30M

Holdovers (225M)

GxK - 100M

Ghostbusters: 35M

Dune 2: 25M

KFP4: 25M

Rest: 40M

• Like 1

6 hours ago, HummingLemon496 said:

Domestic? Maybe!

Worldwide? Just. . .fuck no

Yeah, I meant domestic. Even if it disappoints, Joker 2 could gross about 400M worldwide
From those predictions I would change Mufasa's becoming biggest WW film of the year, and replace it with Inside Out 2

Edited by stripe

To be honest seeing how much hype Joker has: the first teaser poster went viral everywhere and trended like crazy I have a hard time seeing it under 200m DOM. Imo it will do close to 150m OW alone.