kayumanggi

2024 Box Office Predictions and Discussion

I will say it’s been ages since a disaster movie has… err, hit at the box office, but I don’t think that means it’s time I think it means it’s a fully dead genre. Just even further proof to me Twisters is a ridiculous notion in 2024. 

19 minutes ago, Relevation said:

Season 5 Omg GIF by NBC

Hide contents

I’m not on the Madame Web $100M+ DOM train by any stretch but come on lmao

$15-20M OW ($27-35M 6-day) / $30-40M DOM / $70-100M WW

The Marvels, a sequel to one of the biggest grossers of all time, couldn’t scratch 100 DOM and you think Madame Web has even 1/4 of the interest? I’ll believe it when I see it.

Ready to call it at 25 being the ceiling barring the shock of the century and people actually loving the movie. Floor basically doesn’t exist for it 

Edited by MovieMan89

On 1/5/2024 at 3:17 PM, M37 said:

2024 Predictions

Starting with the caveat that pre-release forecasts are not really my forte, as I rely more on data, and a lot of “buzz” tends to happen outside of my radar [I rely a fair amount on what y’all say on these boards tbh]. But with that said here are my predictions for 2024 releases (domestic only)

$400M+ Chart Toppers

Reveal hidden contents

$300M Club

Reveal hidden contents

$200M Range

Reveal hidden contents

$150M Performers

Hide contents

Same as above, a soft threshold (more like $135M+), but in the range of $150M

8. Sonic 3 $40/$170 – weak legs on last one has me skeptical its due for another increase, but could be missing the hype on this one

9. Venom 3 $70/$165 – Joker is both grabbing the October release spot, bumping Venom out of spooky season, and IMO taking the wind out of its sails more broadly by opening first. Drops off to around Black Adam level

10. Bad Boys 4 $60/$160 – BB4L was a $200M grosser (even losing some late legs to pandemic) in 2020, but is there the same appetite for one more? Should be a decent popcorn action flick regardless

11. Fall Guy $50/$155 – While definitely think there is potential here, not quite sure where to place this one, but riding a post-Barbie Gosling wave (and weak May) to a pretty solid domestic total at minimum to Free Guy level is where I'm starting

12. Furiosa $55/$150 – Sure? I’m not the person to ask about this one, as part of the 5% who didn’t enjoy Fury Road, but in same ballpark as the original seems fair

13. Quiet Place Day 1 $50/$140 – Even with an anticipated franchise fatigue drop-off, P2 making $160M during semi-pandemic times should leave a solid floor around Nope range

14. Twisters $55/$135 – As much as I’m a fan of the original, really starting to get ID4: Resurgence vibes here, and DP3 swoops in for week 2 to cut off legs, even if WOM is good

Some of you may have noticed a few high profile films absent so far …

$100M+ Solid Performers (or Disappointments)

Hide contents

15. Godzilla X Kong $60/$130 – Along with Dune 2 as the only big action flicks of the first 4-5 months (well, maybe a 3rd😉), could lead to a big opening but perhaps not much beyond that

16. Kung Fu Panda 4 $40/$120 – Franchise grosses have gone $215 --> $165 --> $143, so what am I missing here? Also isn’t much of a mid-tier these for animated films post-pandemic, with only Elemental getting over $120M among the smaller releases (and only by long legs), most clustered around $100M

17. IF $40/$115 – won’t be surprised IF this goes higher, IF it manages to strike the right tone and not come off too campy/childish

18. Ghostbusters Frozen Empire $35/$115 – feels like Afterlife scratched a nostalgia itch more than opened a franchise door, and the frozen theme seems out of place for Spring

19. Gladiator 2 $40/$110 – another sequel essentially in name only, and I fear yet also an historical/action film way overvalued by the demo skew of this community; goes more of the way of Napoleon

20. Madame Web $35 ($55 6-day)/$105 – Yeah, I’ve seen the reactions to the trailer, and that’s the only reason I have it down here and not even higher. The 6-day Valentine’s to Presidents Day opening has a lot of potential for what will be a pretty starved market by then, even if legs collapse after

21. Garfield $30/$100 – a totally fine animated film that gives families and option and doesn’t bother anyone, much like Trolls 3 or Super Pets

22. Imaginary $30/$100 – think this one has potential to be yet another horror hit, has a run similar to M3GAN or maybe even Smile

23. Planet of the Apes $35/$100 – Last offering only managed $148M, down from over $200M, and also get the sense Disney has already given up on this one (not securing PLFs nor moving release date, same behavior we saw with Marvels…). In running for biggest bomb of the year

SUB-$100 (or are they?)

Hide contents

Notable films I won’t project to reach $100M, but something on this list is going to pop and shoot past that threshold

Smile 2 $90M – should open higher than the first, but with weaker legs and finish around the same range

Transformers One $80M – I’m definitely keeping an eye on this one closer to release

Karate Kid $75M – down here almost entirely based on poor release date, but could have some potential

Wicked Part 1 $70M - Hmm, could have sworn so many people lamented that having "part 1" in the title was a death sentence for a release? [In all seriousness, think this is being way overestimated, and Rent where its for fans mostly, less GA, but I could be missing the boat]

Project Artemis [working title] $65M – are we going to see a rom-com resurgence?

Ballerina $65M – sure, I guess?

Argylle $60M – Pre-Super Bowl weekend is almost a cursed release date at this point, and I suspect a lot of disappointment when it opens

Alto Knights $55M - don't think gangster films have the same theatrical appeal as they used to

Alien Romulus $50M – another Fox property Disney seems to be dumping, now in August

Trap $45M – next M. Night offering, little details, but starting with Old range for now

I look forward to the totally rational discourse that will follow

Come At Me Bring It GIF by Game of Thrones

how about the LOTR anime?

21 hours ago, wildphantom said:

I still think Twisters is going to do really well. I think some here are going to be shocked.  

As someone who's fascinated by tornados I could see it doing really well if it doesn't suck. A lot of other disaster films aren't very realistic but tornados are something that hits a little closer to home.

• Like 1

On 1/6/2024 at 2:53 PM, AMC Theaters Enjoyer said:

DP3 feels strangely difficult to pin down because of the uncertainty surrounding the genre at the moment. I have no doubt in my mind it will have a big opening but its total gross feels like something that is gonna boil down to response after that opening weekend. 

But the hype is there, So I’ll say for now a $115-125M DOM opening for that.

$115-125M would be pretty bad for Deadpool 3 (in my opinion, or at least compared to what it could've done released in May 2022) but I actually agree with this range. 

On 1/3/2024 at 2:34 AM, Bob Train said:

DOMESTIC

1. Joker 2 (154/419)

2. Gladiator 2 (122/374)

3. Despic4ble Me (87/154/370)

4. Inside Out 2 (102/344)

5. Garfield (79/239m)

6. Sonic 3 (59/231m)

7. Beetlejuice 2 (101/231)

8. Deadpool 3 (109/229)

9. Wicked (54/81/203)

10. Horizon: Part One (52/201)

WORLDWIDE

1. Joker 2 ($1.2b)

2. Gladiator 2 ($1.1b)

3. DM4 ($1b)

4. Inside Out 2 ($850m)

5. GxK ($700m)

6. Dune 2 ($650m)

7. Garfield ($600m)

8. Twisters ($550m)

9. Sonic 3 ($500m)

10. Wicked ($500m)

$229M domestic total for Deadpool 3 would be beyond horrendous, Josstice League levels of bad

Though, it's not completely off the table if it gets a B like. . .4 out of the last 6 Marvel films :sadfleck:

Edited by HummingLemon496

On 1/7/2024 at 1:58 PM, Flip said:

how about the LOTR anime?

Hoping it’s Spider-verse 2.0. Gonna fly under the radar with a likely low-ish OW bc it’s animated and the franchise has been in a long slump. But maybe it will get great reviews and rally the fanbase in a way we haven’t seen since the trilogy to spectacular holiday legs 

It looks like January 2024 will close around 475M, slightly better than expected.

February, I would say 350M at the most, unless Argylle or Madame Web surprise.

Argylle: 60-70M

The Chosen: 25-30M

Madame Web: 50-60M

One Love: 30-35M

Lisa Frankestein: 15-20M

Drive Away Dolls: 10M

Demos Slayer: 10M

Ordinary Angels: 5M

Rest of openers: 10M

Oscar Expansions (Poor Things, American Fiction, Holdovers, Oppenheimer, Killers...): 30M

Rest of holdovers: 50M (Wonka, Migration, Mean Girls, Anyone but you, Beekeeper...)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, stripe said:

It looks like January 2024 will close around 475M, slightly better than expected.

February, I would say 350M at the most, unless Argylle or Madame Web surprise.

Argylle: 60-70M

The Chosen: 25-30M

Madame Web: 50-60M

One Love: 30-35M

Lisa Frankestein: 15-20M

Drive Away Dolls: 10M

Demos Slayer: 10M

Ordinary Angels: 5M

Oscar Expansions (Poor Things, American Fiction, Holdovers, Oppenheimer, Killers...): 30M

Rest of holdovers: 50M (Wonka, Migration, Mean Girls, Anyone but you, Beekeeper...)

March 1 could not come soon enough.

Feb 360, not great bob.

Incidentally Bob Marley saved the month by overperforming (at least by my own expectations).

March I'll say about

650:

120 from holdovers

200 Dune

180 for the March 8th releases

40 for the March 15th releases

50 for the March 22nd releases, I'm not feeling much for ghostbusters, but I know many other are so we'll see. 

Godzilla and Kong manage to squeeze their OW into the month, maybe 50m. 

February is finally over.  360m'ish gross for the month under 1996 February's box office.

I was thinking March 2024 would match March 2023 but digging deeper into the numbers the holdovers from February are super weak but I think the smaller films like Cabrini, Arthur the King and Imaginary close the gap. I think March grosses 620m a little under March 2023 638m.

Dune 180m

Kung Fu Panda 100m

Cabrini, Arthur the King and Imaginary 50m each.

Ghostbusters 80m.

Kong 60m.

February holders 50m.

• Like 2

On 1/22/2024 at 12:46 PM, stripe said:

February, I would say 350M (IN THE END, 360M) at the most, unless Argylle or Madame Web surprise.

Argylle: 60-70M - IN THE END, IT WILL REACH 43M

The Chosen: 25-30M - IN THE END, IT WILL GROSS AROUND 25M

Madame Web: 50-60M - NOT GOING TO REACH 38M 

One Love: 30-35M - OVER 75M IN FEBRUARY

Lisa Frankestein: 15-20M - IN THE END, ALMOST 10M

Drive Away Dolls: 10M - AWFUL LAUNCH, 3.5M IN FEBRUARY

Demos Slayer: 10M - OVER 14M IN FEBRUARY, NOT BAD!

Ordinary Angels: 5M - IN THE END, OVER 8M IN FEBRUARY

Rest of openers: 10M - IN THE END, THEY GROSSED 15M, MORE OR LESS

QUITE OFF WITH THIS: IN THE END, A BIT UNDER 20M

OVER 100M! THEY SAVED THE MONTH

Bolded the final results of February.

Looking at March, I would say 600-700M is the range. In 2023, the gross was around 640M.

Openers (500-575M)

Dune part 2: 180-190M

Cabrini: 30-40M

Imaginary: 35-45M

Kung Fu Panda 4: 90-100M

Arthur the King: 40-50M

One Live: 5-10M

Ghostbusters: 70-80M

Godzilla x Kong: 40-50M

Holdovers (100-120M)

Bob Marley - 35-40M

Ordinary Angels: 20M

Madame web: 10M

Chosen: 5-10M

Oscar Expansions: 5-10M

Rest: 20M

• Like 2

The closer we are to Dune 2, I am more confident it can confortably reach more than 300M DOM.

90M 1st weekend

35M rest of week

50M 2nd weekend

20M rest of week

35M 3rd weekend

14M rest of week

25M 4th weekend

10M rest of week

50M+ for rest of run

I’m really starting to think that the Lord of the Rings animated movies has a good shot of exploding. December is pretty empty except for that Lion King movie that I’m not so sure about. And given how so many people from the movies are returning behind the scenes there’s a good chance this could be good.

Especially overseas, the potential is huge. Could see it over 500m WW.

4 hours ago, James said:

I’m really starting to think that the Lord of the Rings animated movies has a good shot of exploding. December is pretty empty except for that Lion King movie that I’m not so sure about. And given how so many people from the movies are returning behind the scenes there’s a good chance this could be good.

Um. Sonic 3? Karate Kid reboot?