kayumanggi

Weekend Thread | May 12 - 14 | Weekend Actuals | 62.01M GOTG III | 12.61M MARIO | 6.68M BOOK CLUB: THE NEXT CHAPTER

11 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

I honesty had never even heard of Knights of the Zodiac until it appeared on the tracking chart the other week. Luckily Sony's strong summer is coming up to wash out the bad taste from these obvious duds from the past few months.

8 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I honesty had never even heard of Knights of the Zodiac until it appeared on the tracking chart the other week. Luckily Sony's strong summer is coming up to wash out the bad taste from these obvious duds from the past few months.

It’s a Saint Seiya movie. An absolutely huge Japanese franchise that’s been trying and failing to attain English Language popularity since I was child (like a UK band trying to ‘crack’ America). 

Edited by AJG

3 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

I am amused that while the video game was not allowed to be referenced for disappointing presale to final Friday numbers, 2 mid-playoff basketball games could be blamed instead:).

Of course, if that's the case, Sunday will be ugly on the East Coast...

Are we blaming video games for a 300000 miss?

25 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

What the hell is hypnotic LOL I honestly never heard of this movie.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

Well this is a candidate for not only for flop of the year but flop for all tine...literally never even heard of this before I saw it in the tracking thread....strange for a movie they spent 80 million on...and it won't even make more then the rotj rerelease...

8 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

Shawn expected $5M OW some weeks back...

Its release changed too though if I remember right? Wasnt it originally scheduled to go wide? Thats a major difference when its in under 600 theaters. Still a bomb, but its understandable. 

Just now, narniadis said:

Its release changed too though if I remember right? Wasnt it originally scheduled to go wide? Thats a major difference when its in under 600 theaters. Still a bomb, but its understandable. 

Yeah, the release scale was changing rapidly due to disastrous PS

Few weeks back -

https://www.boxofficepro.com/long-range-box-office-forecast-book-club-2-knights-of-the-zodiac-and-love-again-plus-an-evil-dead-rise-update/

5/12/2023 Knights of the Zodiac $5,000,000 – $10,000,000   $11,000,000 – $25,000,000   Sony Pictures

4 hours ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Because we've seen on numerous occasions that video games don't affect box office. Sport is only live once, a video game is ever present. 

It’s rare for a video game release to be a true event though, that’s why the discussion doesn’t get brought up. I’d argue the last one before now was GTA V a full 10 years ago. And as I said, that was mid September so it’s a total moot point regarding box office. 

2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

It’s rare for a video game release to be a true event though, that’s why the discussion doesn’t get brought up. I’d argue the last one before now was GTA V a full 10 years ago. And as I said, that was mid September so it’s a total moot point regarding box office. 

If you think a Zelda game is on the same level as a GTAV you're absolutely deluding yourself. 

• Like 12

5 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Holdover numbers are very, very impressive all around and people are still going on about Zelda. 

I mean we did have insiders claiming as high as 17 yesterday am and afternoon. So either said people need to reevaluate how they forecast box office so early, or something slowed it down… 

But it’s a great hold for any cbm sequel. Let’s see what Sat does. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • ...wtf 1
  • Knock It Off 1

52 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

26 minutes ago, baumer said:

What the hell is hypnotic LOL I honestly never heard of this movie.

The distributor is "Ketchup Entertainment" and it was the Regal Mystery Movie last week. I saw a lot of comments from that calling it a Dollar Store Inception.