Eric is Quiet

THE LITTLE MERMAID WEEKEND THREAD

11 hours ago, joselowe said:

Nah as an African American I can guarantee you this film isn’t going to attract black audiences. Spider-Man has never been big in the African American community and Miles Morales is looked at by young black kids as a Latino. Little Mermaid had tons of support for the African American community and the demographics proved it.

This is the demographics for the first Into The Spiderverse

As we mentioned previously, exit demos for Spider-Verse were 67% non-families, with men 25+ repping 41% of moviegoers, followed by men under 25 at 26%. Both enjoyed the movie, with men under 25 giving it 96% and men over 25 a 91% positive score. Boys under 12 outnumbered girls 70% to 30% in turnout. Diversity demos were 43% Caucasian, 21% Hispanic, 16% African-American and 15% Asian. 

https://deadline.com/2018/12/spider-man-into-the-spider-verse-mortal-engines-clint-eastwood-the-mule-weekend-box-office-1202520137/amp/

What really? As a Latino American I always saw Miles as a Black character or African American, always thought everyone else felt the same. 

I know there was a lot of discourse recently on Twitter about Blue Beetle vs Miles and I saw a lot of Latinos saying they saw Miles as a Black character and not a Latino character… interesting 

27 minutes ago, El Gato said:

What really? As a Latino American I always saw Miles as a Black character or African American, always thought everyone else felt the same. 

I know there was a lot of discourse recently on Twitter about Blue Beetle vs Miles and I saw a lot of Latinos saying they saw Miles as a Black character and not a Latino character… interesting 

Miles mother is Latina, but I had understood he was mainly identified as African American character. 

Miles was born and raised in US. So, it has certain sense that he isn't exactly considered Latino (even if he has ancestry).

I admit that I'm surprised the share of African-American audience in Spider-Verse is so small.

Edited by Kon

1 hour ago, grim22 said:

This is true, and it's not just Disney adaptations, it's musical adaptations as well like the random new songs in Cats and Dear Evan Hansen

Speechless was the best song of Aladdin.

&

in Hindi TLK Ho Tyaar (Be Prepared).

1 hour ago, El Gato said:

That might be why the demographics for the first film were mainly from white Americans.

2 minutes ago, joselowe said:

That might be why the demographics for the first film were mainly from white Americans.

as they should, because you know more than half the country is white. 

also, Spider-verse still did under-index white, not to degree of black panther though, but still. 

also also, lately minorities are overindexing a lot for almost everything, not sure if that is polling error or if it is actually happening. expecting black demos to be around 25% for spider-verse 2.

• Like 1
  • Knock It Off 1

2 hours ago, grim22 said:

This is true, and it's not just Disney adaptations, it's musical adaptations as well like the random new songs in Cats and Dear Evan Hansen

I thought "Beautiful Ghosts" was fine, but Cats the show doesn't have a ton of showstopper songs, anyway, just "Memory". I started to think, "Maybe the Academy doesn't like Taylor," when she couldn't even make the Oscars shortlist that year. Surely they could have made room for Swift over the annual Diane Warren nomination?  I love that so many random movies are Oscar nominated because of her.

I would say most new songs added musicals for Oscar eligibility are on the bland side. The best move is probably just to make it a credits song so it doesn't bring the movie to a screeching halt. Dreamgirls IMO is an exception with multiple original songs that blended into the story really well.

An Anastasia remake? I don't think any company--but especially Disney--wants to revisit how to make that story historically accurate (which 2020s media scrutiny would require) but still child-safe by contemporary standards.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl

2 hours ago, grim22 said:

I look forward to whatever lame original song Ariana/Cynthia have cooked up for Wicked. 

53 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

An Anastasia remake? I don't think any company--but especially Disney--wants to revisit how to make that story historically accurate (which 2020s media scrutiny would require) but still child-safe by contemporary standards.

I think a possible (if dicey) route for an Anastasia remake would be to pretty much admit upfront that it’s a ”what if” scenario inspired by the myth of her survival. A historically accurate version would’ve been five minutes long.

Edited by cookie
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

I started to think, "Maybe the Academy doesn't like Taylor," when she couldn't even make the Oscars shortlist that year. Surely they could have made room for Swift over the annual Diane Warren nomination?

Swift should have gotten nominated for Carolina god damn it. Excellent song.

1 hour ago, druv10 said:

Anything on GOTG? It had the best hold on Sunday, so potential is there for another great hold on Monday.

Same hold as TLM gets it to 6.3m (up from 5.7 est)

2 hours ago, Flopped said:

Taylor has no talent. She's the human equivalent of a Target store: popular but bland. When I think of her, I think of white women who buy beige home decor from Target while her music plays. 

I know, right!  Someone who writes their own music, wins countless awards, including the most prestigious ones in her field, has both arguably the most successful music career of the past 15 years and universal critical acclaim, and is nearly constantly working, definitely has "no" talent.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Krissykins said:

That’s good. -16% from Sunday, if it stays at $23m. 

Had to figure the number rival studios had (119M) would be more accurate than the number Disney provided (117.5M). Glad that turned out to be the case. Really a fine OW DOM for TLM. Just not great OS. So Mouse House did a nice job selling this stateside but not so much overseas.

I was hoping for a Billion for TLM but I underestimated this market.  It's not fully back yet guys.  I'm lowering all my projections for this summer.  I'm sorry I have to.    So I'm going to judge "TLM" against the market.  Domestically it's a pretty good opening.  Obviously overseas leaves more to be desired.    The reason I felt a Billion could be possible is because "The Little Mermaid" though not as popular as "TLK, Aladdin or BATB" was a huge home video seller in the 90's including two straight to video sequels.   But that's the biggest difference.   The other 3 were big in the theater and home video.   "TLM" only did decent numbers theatrically but exploded on Home Video.   

Looking at it's numbers compared to the other 3, I guess the Big 4 is going to be just like it did original.  "TLK" being the biggest and most popular.   The difference is "BATB" did better on Live Action were as "Aladdin" did better on Animation.   Hailey did a great job as Ariel by all accounts.   But she's still a rising star.   "BATB" had Emma coming off "Harry Potter" fame.   "Aladdin" had Will Smith who one of the last draws in Hollywood that can sell a movie off his name and "TLK" had Beyoncé who also did the soundtrack.   

All three of those stars were really huge sellers for those remakes.     As for next week, "Spidey-Verse 2" should do good but some of the huge projections I don't agree with.  Yes it won the Oscar and is much more popular now so I expect a bigger OW.  But some seem to think "No Way Home" success will also give it a bump so we'll see.   "Fast X" is stalling domestically, again Overseas will have to save the day.  It's already over 500 Million.  Mario is headed for 1.3 for sure but 1.4 isn't looking as likely anyways, it's going to win the Year most likely.   Also congrats to the "John Wick" Franchise hitting a Billion, it just keeps getting bigger and bigger at the box office.  "Chapter 4" was fantastic, cool to see Keanu still killin it 20 years after "Matrix Reloaded".   Could we see another increase on the sequel?   Bring on Chapter 5.   Lastly GOTG 3 legged it's way to very solid numbers.    

Edited by filmscholar
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

43 minutes ago, filmscholar said:

I was hoping for a Billion for TLM but I underestimated this market.  It's not fully back yet guys.  I'm lowering all my projections for this summer.  I'm sorry I have to.    So I'm going to judge "TLM" against the market.  Domestically it's a pretty good opening.  Obviously overseas leaves more to be desired.    The reason I felt a Billion could be possible is because "The Little Mermaid" though not as popular as "TLK, Aladdin or BATB" was a huge home video seller in the 90's including two straight to video sequels.   But that's the biggest difference.   The other 3 were big in the theater and home video.   "TLM" only did decent numbers theatrically but exploded on Home Video.   

Looking at it's numbers compared to the other 3, I guess the Big 4 is going to be just like it did original.  "TLK" being the biggest and most popular.   The difference is "BATB" did better on Live Action were as "Aladdin" did better on Animation.   Hailey did a great job as Ariel by all accounts.   But she's still a rising star.   "BATB" had Emma coming off "Harry Potter" fame.   "Aladdin" had Will Smith who one of the last draws in Hollywood that can sell a movie off his name and "TLK" had Beyoncé who also did the soundtrack.   

All three of those stars were really huge sellers for those remakes.     As for next week, "Spidey-Verse 2" should do good but some of the huge projections I don't agree with.  Yes it won the Oscar and is much more popular now so I expect a bigger OW.  But some seem to think "No Way Home" success will also give it a bump so we'll see.   "Fast X" is stalling domestically, again Overseas will have to save the day.  It's already over 500 Million.  Mario is headed for 1.3 for sure but 1.4 isn't looking as likely anyways, it's going to win the Year most likely.   Also congrats to the "John Wick" Franchise hitting a Billion, it just keeps getting bigger and bigger at the box office.  "Chapter 4" was fantastic, cool to see Keanu still killin it 20 years after "Matrix Reloaded".   Could we see another increase on the sequel?   Bring on Chapter 5.   Lastly GOTG 3 legged it's way to very solid numbers.    

Honestly, I don't think star power could really change the box office for The Little Mermaid.

We should consider that Aladdin will only get a much better box office in the DOM market than The Little Mermaid due to its incredible legs (both movies have similar DOM OW). So, I don't think Will Smith has really so much influence in the Aladdin's box office.

Regarding overseas market, there are countries where the Little Mermaid's box office is really horribe. I really doubt star power could change that.

Edited by Kon

16 hours ago, eddyxx said:

So I just bought 3 tickets for TLM for 6pm showing in 3d. I did not even want 3d, the price for tickets in 3d even for children is outrageous. I spent 73 dollars on my tickets. I could not find hardly any showings that were not sold out here. I haven’t had this much trouble finding tickets since the avengers films which is crazy considering how low the box office for this is. I guess urban area is just coming out hard for the movie. I’m in Charlotte NC.

Turns out I bought amc Dolby 3d tickets and didn’t know it. I didn’t even know that theater had Dolby and never been in one before. My seat was vibrating during any action scenes. Was interesting!