Eric the Fall Guy

THE LITTLE MERMAID WEEKEND THREAD

2 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

jasmine actress is gujju.

In a way, her mother was Gujju descent, but was born in Uganda. And she was born in UK. 

Plus she's Hollywood actor, Hollywood giving Indian actors lead roles in big franchises lol. Pipe dream.

1 hour ago, AMC Theaters Enjoyer said:

I just assume he’s responsible for everything bad in the world.

His lack of talent is really something. For years I heard about him being a genius, EGOT, etc etc. Finally I had the misfortune of hearing his music and was floored. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, grim22 said:

I genuinely don't know why playback singing and lip syncing is looked down upon in Hollywood musicals. There's a lot of people cast for their singing ability as opposed to acting abilities. Instead cast the best actors for the role and have them lipsync to better singers as needed. As long as they don't hide the fact, it shouldn't be an issue.

A question only an American can tell the answer to.

Or anyone else who knows inside workings of Hollywood.

1 hour ago, wildphantom said:

Just got out. It’s pretty good. Way better than I expected. I think audiences are going to lap this up, and Halle Bailey is terrific. 

Decent preview number but can’t believe word of mouth won’t be very solid for it. I expect good legs. 

Both part of your world and under the sea got applause at the end, and big applause at the end of the movie.

• Like 1
  • Heart 1

14 minutes ago, grim22 said:

I genuinely don't know why playback singing and lip syncing is looked down upon in Hollywood musicals. There's a lot of people cast for their singing ability as opposed to acting abilities. Instead cast the best actors for the role and have them lipsync to better singers as needed. As long as they don't hide the fact, it shouldn't be an issue.

Dubbing and lip syncing are big no-no’s. 

People get ridiculed for that because it’s…. not talent. 

Just now, THUNDER BIRD said:

Singing isn't a talent? 

You misread the post. I didn’t say anything about singing lol. 

Lip syncing isn’t a talent. Especially in response to the suggestion that they lip sync to… someone else’s voice. 

4 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Dubbing and lip syncing are big no-no’s. 

People get ridiculed for that because it’s…. not talent. 

Why are they big no-nos is the question. Like SRK and Aamir Khan are great actors, they can convey more with one facial expression than most people can with full monologues, but they are awful singers which we know because we have heard them sing and it was awful. Sonu Nigam is an amazing singer with great range but is an awful actor, we know because we have seen him trying to act. Combine Sonu's voice with SRK's acting and we have magic on screen, which again we know because Kal Ho Na Ho and Dil Deewana exist.

So someone singing for them and them adding their strength of acting and dancing to someone else's strength of singing just makes the entire thing better. 

• Like 4

Just now, grim22 said:

Why are they big no-nos is the question. Like SRK and Aamir Khan are great actors, they can convey more with one facial expression than most people can with full monologues, but they are awful singers which we know because we have heard them sing and it was awful. Sonu Nigam is an amazing singer with great range but is an awful actor, we know because we have seen him trying to act. Combine Sonu's voice with SRK's acting and we have magic on screen.

So someone singing for them and them adding their strength of acting and dancing to someone else's strength of singing just makes the entire thing better. 

I’m not familiar with any of them or the films so maybe it’s a country by country or culture thing. 

Pop stars get slated if they mime. Lip syncing to someone else’s voice just gives off cringe and second-hand embarrassment I guess. 

If Meryl Streep mimed to Celine Dion’s singing voice in Mamma Mia I think we’d all be in fits of laughter. 

Just now, Krissykins said:

I’m not familiar with any of them or the films so maybe it’s a country by country or culture thing. 

Pop stars get slated if they mime. Lip syncing to someone else’s voice just gives off cringe and second-hand embarrassment I guess. 

If Meryl Streep mimed to Celine Dion’s singing voice in Mamma Mia I think we’d all be in fits of laughter. 

Pierce Brosnan should have lip synced and saved us all second hand embarrassment. I genuinely don't get the argument against it. Meryl Streep is a great actress, let her handle that part and let a singer take the reins for the rest 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Krissykins said:

Obviously you don't pick completely different tonal singers for the dub...

Frankly speaking don't think it really matters, it's a film not a singing competition. So long as the transition between the two isn't jarring I don't really care who's doing the singing.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Actors who can't sing, singing a song and destroying it is just as much embarrassment and just as much cringe.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

The domestic skew this movie's going to have will make Jordan Peele blush. Absolutely crazy for a family blockbuster.

Y'all are so hyperbolic man. The DOM-INT skew will be bad but it won't be THAT bad.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kon said:

Really? Aladdin has really good WOM, which is the reason why it has good legs.

Why do you think TLM's WOM is better?

Yeah Aladdin had some of the best WOM of any modern summer blockbuster. The legs were crazy for an MD opener especially, which are notoriously frontloaded since MD is usually such a major moviegoing holiday. I won’t be surprised if TLM gets great WOM, but it would be a pretty crazy ask to expect better than Aladdin’s.