Eric the Fall Guy

THE LITTLE MERMAID WEEKEND THREAD

7 minutes ago, Mulder said:

Aladdin's WOM was considerably more mixed then it seems TLM is getting.

Really? Aladdin has really good WOM, which is the reason why it has good legs.

Why do you think TLM's WOM is better?

Edited by Kon
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

36 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

well fwiw I think TLM with Zendaya would have done a lot better OS.

though Aladdin did well because it was an excellent film which had a great response in Asia. its opening wasn't particularly high which is where star power mostly matter but legs were great.

Agree, Halle was perfect, but Zendaya is a black actress that is considered to not be a threat and safe because of her looks and being biracial. I def think this would have reached over $1 billion if Zendaya was in the lead.

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 1
  • Knock It Off 1

10 minutes ago, joselowe said:

Agree, Halle was perfect, but Zendaya is a black actress that is considered to not be a threat and safe because of her looks and being biracial. I def think this would have reached over $1 billion if Zendaya was in the lead.

threat? safe? what do you mean that Halle is a threat and not safe?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, jedijake said:

threat? safe? what do you mean that Halle is a threat and not safe?

I think he meant Zendaya already a big star, is easily accepted across different races and globally. Similar to how Will Smith movies are popular overseas as well. 

• Like 5

51 minutes ago, Boxx93 said:

It hurts me to say this because I love this company very much... But Disney is a tarnished brand. Star Wars is in the gutter, Marvel is overproducing too much mediocre products (I haven't seen Guardians 3 so I don't have an opinion about that) and Disney Animation is flopping hard in theaters (I hope Elemental and WISH break that trend). And the live action movies after TLK have been borderline unwatchable (i.e. Mulan, Pinocchio, Peter Pan and Wendy).

While I agree with you wholeheartedly that Disney is in  a downward spiral and not nearly the fun-loving company, at least by reputation, as it used to be, I don't see The Little mermaid falling 65% even if it's second weekend is after Memorial weekend. I don't know how loved or how to despised or in between the movie is going to be but it's 65% drop is usually reserved for films with a massive midnight number or Thursday night preview number. Little mermaid definitely does not have that.

1 hour ago, grim22 said:

People always seem to get confused when a Hollywood musical flops in India because they think all Bollywood movies are musicals so musicals should do well in India. But Indians do not like Hollywood musicals, songs in Indian movies are a break from the narrative or emphasize something in the narrative but for the most part are non-essential to the movie. Songs which are actually the plot sung through is not our idea of musicals.

As @charlie Jatinder said, music doesn't matter if music isn't hit.

Indians don't watch many Indian movies if music isn't hit then Hollywood is not even in conversation.

Hollywood movies music don't pkay here on Music channels, Indians don't prefer that. 

For Hollywood movie to work in India, it needs to have Brand Recognition and sometimes Big stars can help, but Brand Recognition is of paramount importance. 

Something like The Jungle Book had incredible brand recognition, The Lion King and Aladdin had Brand Recognition too and the fact that Aladdin did less in India is all on Disney, they should've promoted it better and get some Indian Stars to dub for it and it would've done much better than what it did.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

should have cast deepika perhaps :P

I genuinely don't know why playback singing and lip syncing is looked down upon in Hollywood musicals. There's a lot of people cast for their singing ability as opposed to acting abilities. Instead cast the best actors for the role and have them lipsync to better singers as needed. As long as they don't hide the fact, it shouldn't be an issue.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Blankments said:

Saw the little mermaid earlier. It’s not really my thing but as I left, an African-American grandma stopped me and asked me to take a picture of her with her granddaughter (who was dressed up as a princess) with the standee of Ariel so honestly hoping for the best for this movie because that kid looked so happy with what she just watched and honestly that’s who these movies are really for

Most of the commercial tentpoles are made to give entertainment and joy to the masses, the children the families the youth.

1 hour ago, Deathlife said:

(The Lion King and Alaadin were monsters on release, BaTB was pretty big itself). 

Beauty & The Beast (2017) grossed $300,000,000 more than Aladdin did, so I’d say that and TLK were the monster hits of the three.