Rumpot

Weekdays Thread (6/5-8)

10 minutes ago, across the Jat verse said:

TLM 4.6

Slightly below 4.7m for Aladdin . It's gonna start separating from Aladdin.

It had 7.8m on Tuesday and 5.1m  on Wednesday and yeah tlm definitely ain't muching that . Aladdin weekdays were pretty strong.

18 minutes ago, Into the Legion-Verse said:

???

TLM was like 2% behind on the weekend, 2% behind on Monday wouldn’t exactly be crumbling. 

This is how it starts.

Hopefully 300M still happen.

26 minutes ago, CJohn said:

This is how it starts.

Hopefully 300M still happen.

Remaining steady isn’t how anything starts though. I literally don’t understand how this number prompted or is logically related to the following posts.

Edited by Into the Legion-Verse
  • Like 9

4 hours ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

Slightly below 4.7m for Aladdin . It's gonna start separating from Aladdin.

It had 7.8m on Tuesday and 5.1m  on Wednesday and yeah tlm definitely ain't muching that . Aladdin weekdays were pretty strong.

Why would TLM definitely not match that? A big Tue for sure, and Wed over Mon is unusual, but this particular week typically sees a lot of K-12 schools finishing, so weekdays get wonky. Last year Bad Guys (the highest grossing family film) had a $432K Mon (6/06), $628K Tue (+45%) and $535K Wed

Fwiw, my expectations generally are that TLM's weekdays will actually be a little bit stronger (relatively speaking) than Aladdin given the audience is skewing both female & to metros, but then with lower increases/multipliers for the weekends. We saw that last weekend (5.89x Thursday for TLM vs 6.67x), but difficult to judge given ATSV opening and loss of PLF

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, M37 said:

Why would TLM definitely not match that? A big Tue for sure, and Wed over Mon is unusual, but this particular week typically sees a lot of K-12 schools finishing, so weekdays get wonky. Last year Bad Guys (the highest grossing family film) had a $432K Mon (6/06), $628K Tue (+45%) and $535K Wed

Fwiw, my expectations generally are that TLM's weekdays will actually be a little bit stronger (relatively speaking) than Aladdin given the audience is skewing both female & to metros, but then with lower increases/multipliers for the weekends. We saw that last weekend (5.89x Thursday for TLM vs 6.67x), but difficult to judge given ATSV opening and loss of PLF

Tue jumps have been sort of mute post covid . I don't think it's gonna jump 66% on tue .

But will see.

26 minutes ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

Prince Ali has lyrics

"Show some respect, boy genuflect, down on one knee"

Everyone who bullied him after that tweet should have their apology forms ready.

If you think he deserves an apology after people simply pointed out the anti-black dog-whistle in his tweet, then what do you think Halle Bailey deserves after the treatment she's received? Honestly, I can't stand the fact that some people are disingenuously trying to claim that he was "bullied off of Twitter." Then these same people say nothing about the fact that Halle Bailey is called a monkey, Sid the sloth, a hammerhead shark, and just straight up the N-word on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter. Which by the way, she hasn't deleted any of HER accounts.

And as far as Massoud goes, people weren't upset because he said the film wouldn't make a billion. It was because he said the film wouldn't make a billion, BUT would get a sequel. A lot of people took that to mean the old racist stand-by of Black people receiving affirmative action. From there, people dug further into his past tweets. They found another tweet where he complained about Black people being over-represented demographically in Hollywood. So that's where people are drawing their conclusions from. And its ironic that he would attack the Black community, when the whole reason his film was successful is because of a BLACK man. Massoud was entirely forgettable in the role. Will Smith was the draw.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Knock It Off 4

16 minutes ago, janedoe said:

If you think he deserves an apology after people simply pointed out the anti-black dog-whistle in his tweet, then what do you think Halle Bailey deserves after the treatment she's received? Honestly, I can't stand the fact that some people are disingenuously trying to claim that he was "bullied off of Twitter." Then these same people say nothing about the fact that Halle Bailey is called a monkey, Sid the sloth, a hammerhead shark, and just straight up the N-word on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter. Which by the way, she hasn't deleted any of HER accounts.

And as far as Massoud goes, people weren't upset because he said the film wouldn't make a billion. It was because he said the film wouldn't make a billion, BUT would get a sequel. A lot of people took that to mean the old racist stand-by of Black people receiving affirmative action. From there, people dug further into his past tweets. They found another tweet where he complained about Black people being over-represented demographically in Hollywood. So that's where people are drawing their conclusions from. And its ironic that he would attack the Black community, when the whole reason his film was successful is because of a BLACK man. Massoud was entirely forgettable in the role. Will Smith was the draw.

On that note, why hasn't Disney greenlit Aladdin 2, while they are busy sabotaging themselves by foolish decisions like Live Action Moana.

Common Sense says that Aladdin 2 and Moana 2 animated is the way to go.

I'm willing to bet that both Aladdin 2 and Moana 2 would make more than Live Action Moana.

9 minutes ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

On that note, why hasn't Disney greenlit Aladdin 2, while they are busy sabotaging themselves by foolish decisions like Live Action Moana.

Common Sense says that Aladdin 2 and Moana 2 animated is the way to go.

I'm willing to bet that both Aladdin 2 and Moana 2 would make more than Live Action Moana.

I don't know. I'm not Disney. But maybe it has something to do with the fact that Will Smith slapped Chris Rock on live TV. I hear there actually were talks about making Aladdin 2, but it fizzled out. Which just gives more fuel to the argument that Massoud is bitter about "his" film not getting a sequel despite making a billion. So for him to say that The Little Mermaid will get a sequel, even though it won't make a billion is sending vibes that I guess quite a few Black people picked up on. 

1 hour ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

Prince Ali has lyrics

"Show some respect, boy genuflect, down on one knee"

Everyone who bullied him after that tweet should have their apology forms ready.

But back to my original question. If you think Massoud deserves an apology, what do you think Halle Bailey deserves?

I think most of the live action Disney remakes have had talk of a sequel around the release. Only one that materialised was Alice in Wonderland which was an astonishingly big bomb. Probably put them off doing the sequels going forward for good reason. 

First local set for this weekend - WOW - Spidey kept a ton of its showings and all its PLF, since it only got 1/2 last weekend.  It actually starts with a higher set today than it did last Tuesday (20 showings - 4 PLF, 16 reg vs 16 total), although it was at 25 by the end of the weekend.  

So, it seems Transformers will face Spidey's problem from last weekend - only getting a PLF split, not all PLF.

For holdovers, Mermaid gets the biggest showing drop, losing all PLF and down to 8 shows (under 2 screens).  Transformers gets 3 screens, so not great, not terrible (and only a 1 screen expansion) with 5 PLF showings and 10 regular.  Fast X, GOTG 3, and Boogeyman keep a screen as the only kept holdovers (so Mario finally drops, as does everything from Mem Day weekend save Mermaid)...

Edit to Add:

And 2nd local set, too - Spidey keeps the same initial set it had last weekend, too (16 showings/4 screens).

Mermaid CRATERS to one screen (it and Mario seem to be the movies getting crushed under the weight of too many big openers this weekend).  Boogeyman, Fast X, and GOTG 3 keep a screen, 

And Transformers gets 3 screens/15 showings here.  So, same 1 expansion.

And everything else gone, including Mario.

I honestly think theaters went to Disney and said GOTG 3 drop or Mermaid showing loss, and Disney wanted GOTG 3 still in, b/c I'm shocked Mermaid went from 3.5 screens to 1 at my 2nd local while GOTG 3 still has its full screen,

it's rough that Spidey exceeded expectations for the other holdovers.  If Transformers does the same (which I don't expect, but who knows), Father's Day could be packed...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Maybe to push the convo away from TLM, we can discuss the true flop numbers this summer... Any FX Monday numbers? Has it fallen behind SMBM in dailies DOM yet?

As steep as FX's decline has been, I wouldn't expect that to happen for another 2 weeks at the earliest. That's if Mario doesn't drop hard from shedding screens itself. 

4 hours ago, Into the Legion-Verse said:

Remaining steady isn’t how anything starts though. I literally don’t understand how this number prompted or is logically related to the following posts.

Because certain users here have it out for this movie and want to see it bomb. Can't imagine why. 🙄

• Like 2
  • Knock It Off 2