Rumpot

Weekdays Thread (6/5-8)

3 hours ago, M37 said:

Why would TLM definitely not match that? A big Tue for sure, and Wed over Mon is unusual, but this particular week typically sees a lot of K-12 schools finishing, so weekdays get wonky. Last year Bad Guys (the highest grossing family film) had a $432K Mon (6/06), $628K Tue (+45%) and $535K Wed

Fwiw, my expectations generally are that TLM's weekdays will actually be a little bit stronger (relatively speaking) than Aladdin given the audience is skewing both female & to metros, but then with lower increases/multipliers for the weekends. We saw that last weekend (5.89x Thursday for TLM vs 6.67x), but difficult to judge given ATSV opening and loss of PLF

Unfortunately, I couldn't find data on % schools off but I was thinking if the holidays were earlier this year because last weekdays felt stronger.

The Little Mermaid is doing pretty well DOM, unfortunately not OS but it is mainly because of Asia rejection. It is keeping it pretty close to Aladdin domestically but probably won't match Aladdin's late legs, which were amazing, so something like $300-325m at the end. 

One thing I am seeing, particularly for this movie, is how little people know about the box office outside of this forum. I've seen multiple people say TLM is an absolute disaster or TLM is a massive hit depending on whatever number they want to pick and compare it to whatever number they want. I saw someone comparing TLM WW total as of now to Beauty and the Beast OW and how because it is higher it will reach a billion. Similarly, I've seen people say it won't reach $400m WW because of China's drop...

Edited by AN9815
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, across the Jat verse said:

Unfortunately, I couldn't find data on % schools off but I was thinking if the holidays were earlier this year because last weekdays felt stronger.

You may be right, but anecdotally my local school district usually has one of the earlier calendars, starting in early Aug and ending as close to Memorial Day as possible. Their last day is this week 

I think the way Xmas holidays/break fell this year may have pushed K-12 a bit later, but not sure 

1 hour ago, SchumacherFTW said:

I think most of the live action Disney remakes have had talk of a sequel around the release. Only one that materialised was Alice in Wonderland which was an astonishingly big bomb. Probably put them off doing the sequels going forward for good reason. 

Mufasa

1 hour ago, janedoe said:

But back to my original question. If you think Massoud deserves an apology, what do you think Halle Bailey deserves?

She deserves not to be called all the things you said, and apology too, not a rocket science.

Were you expecting me to say something else.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AN9815 said:

The Little Mermaid is doing pretty well DOM, unfortunately not OS but it is mainly because of Asia rejection. It is keeping it pretty close to Aladdin domestically but probably won't match Aladdin's late legs, which were amazing, so something like $300-325m at the end. 

One thing I am seeing, particularly for this movie, is how little people know about the box office outside of this forum. I've seen multiple people say TLM is an absolute disaster or TLM is a massive hit depending on whatever number they want to pick and compare it to whatever number they want. I saw someone comparing TLM WW total as of now to Beauty and the Beast OW and how because it is higher it will reach a billion. Similarly, I've seen people say it won't reach $400m WW because of China's drop...

its 2023 where movie boxoffice runs are now political battlefields lol 

Since when saying it won't match Aladdin Tuesday and Wednesday doomposting .

STill have this doing 315m+ comfortably. 

Maybe I'm wrong but I don't think it's gonna jump that big on Tuesday and yeah Wednesday can  increase from Monday but i think it will be below 5.1m.

Will see tommorrow . 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Is Wonder Woman a good comp for Spider-verse 2 to see if Spider-verse 2 can cross 400m?

What about Spider-man 1?

Wonder Woman - probably not, b/c it only opened to $103M...so Spidey starts $17M higher as a baseline...

• Like 3

Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse Totals $133.66 Million in Four Days Domestically

Tuesday, June 6, 2023 (Morning Update)
After debuting with $120.664 million over the weekend, Sony's Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse continued to impress at the domestic box office on Monday with an estimated $13.00 million for the day. That represented a 58.5 percent decline from Sunday's performance. The four-day domestic start for Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse stands at an estimated $133.66 million. That places the film 5.0 percent ahead of the $127.339 million four-day start of Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 last month (which declined 71.6 percent on its first Monday to gross $8.93 million). At this rate, Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse will be zooming past the $190.24 million final domestic gross of 2018's Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse before much longer. With the aid of both strong critical reviews and strong initial word of mouth (Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse received an A rating on CinemaScore), going forward Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse will have a strong chance of holding up well for a high-profile comic book based sequel.

5 hours ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

On that note, why hasn't Disney greenlit Aladdin 2, while they are busy sabotaging themselves by foolish decisions like Live Action Moana.

Common Sense says that Aladdin 2 and Moana 2 animated is the way to go.

I'm willing to bet that both Aladdin 2 and Moana 2 would make more than Live Action Moana.

Massoud was great in Aladdin. He and Naomi Scott knocked it out of the park. I was sceptical until I was fifteen minutes into the movie and they just were the characters.  Just as Bailey has pulled off with Ariel. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

Since when saying it won't match Aladdin Tuesday and Wednesday doomposting .

STill have this doing 315m+ comfortably. 

Maybe I'm wrong but I don't think it's gonna jump that big on Tuesday and yeah Wednesday can  increase from Monday but i think it will be below 5.1m.

Will see tommorrow . 

Since there's no way to say that based on anything we saw. Monday's number was identical to Aladdin's second Monday. So there's no indication that TLM won't match Aladdin's Tuesday, Wednesday, and any other day.

• Like 1