Rumpot

Weekdays Thread (6/5-8)

So, I said Spidey was gonna win the summer in April...

Well, I watched the movie...damn...if I'd have seen that before making my guess, I'd have been all-in on my guess.  What a GREAT movie!

It's an A from me.  Yes, I haven't given an A in awhile, but it was awesome.  I took a Kid Dramamine and felt great watching, so anyone who had issues with the last (like me), well, I can say meds work and it was so worth it.  The only reason it's not an A+ is b/c I think they could have found a better stop than they did - but that's such a small quibble.

The spouse and 2 oldest girls also gave it an A, and want to rewatch before the next movie comes out.  The boys gave it B+s. 

Wow, wow, wow!  As a Spidey fan, I'm so happy this is just done so right!

PS - Now, I'm not 100% certain Mario wins the domestic year.  My theater was BUZZING at the end...this will have legs, lots and lots of legs.  It couldn't happen to a better movie!

PPS - Maybe those who didn't like my DnD taste will like my Spidey taste more.  Gonna copy this to the Spidey thread, too! 

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 5

Super Mario was a sort of fun movie but DANG the plot was rather juvenile and overly simplistic and formulaic. But it goes to show that people are more likely to cling to simpler plots in movies that are fun I guess.

51 minutes ago, jedijake said:

Super Mario was a sort of fun movie but DANG the plot was rather juvenile and overly simplistic and formulaic. But it goes to show that people are more likely to cling to simpler plots in movies that are fun I guess.

With how ATSV is looking BO wise, people are down for both a good time (Mario) or a complex character driven story. You just have to do the right things right when doing one or the other. I loved both films for different reasons.

• Like 2

I was just scrolling through a reddit thread of a post with a link to one of you guys talking about The Flash's OW probabilities, and ran into this comment and thought it was pretty funny as new a user on BOT.

AJFCJaWZ_ZbE4Ix8rNNSTL04Db8xSjfOCcX449Yd

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Smaller increase than Wonder Woman's +22% which might indicate that there was a little spillover on Monday. Then again I think someone on here said that Tuesday jumps aren't as big nowadays as they were a few years ago so maybe this is still very good? Wednesday will make things more clear, I'm hoping for 10m to keep the 500m pipe dream alive, if not then we're probably looking at 400-450m.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, IronJimbo & Sheldon's Son said:

Smaller increase than Wonder Woman's +22% which might indicate that there was a little spillover on Monday. Then again I think someone on here said that Tuesday jumps aren't as big nowadays as they were a few years ago so maybe this is still very good? Wednesday will make things more clear, I'm hoping for 10m to keep the 500m pipe dream alive, if not then we're probably looking at 400-450m.

TGM increased just 11% in first Tuesday of June.

• Like 1

Is PVOD really relevant when it comes to box office? Personally I can’t imagine dropping that much money to watch a movie at home when I could see it at a cinema for less. 

I guess if your whole family watches, it makes financial sense. But I remember recently Puss in Boots (which is a family movie) was totally unaffected by the PVOD release. Are there recent examples of it actually cutting into the box office?

4 minutes ago, Dephira said:

Is PVOD really relevant when it comes to box office? Personally I can’t imagine dropping that much money to watch a movie at home when I could see it at a cinema for less. 

I guess if your whole family watches, it makes financial sense. But I remember recently Puss in Boots (which is a family movie) was totally unaffected by the PVOD release. Are there recent examples of it actually cutting into the box office?

most of us are convinced it makes little difference. More catching the crowd who were never going to go anyway. 

I still think 21 days is crazy though for a movie like this.  Should be 5 or 6 weeks minimum. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, IronJimbo & Sheldon's Son said:

Also might indicate more child tickets are selling. I'm still thinking 425M~ DOM finish regardless. Far too much competition and early loss of PLFs to coast as SMBM. Even if AtSV doesn't lose them all this weekend to TRotB, it will absolutely have lose them all when Flash and Elemental release the following weekend.

I know it a different release date and everything but Dead Man's Chest has great audience reactions. 135M OW DOM for a 425M DOM TOT. My feeling is that AtSV finishes with a similar DOM TOT as PotC:DMC. Just a gut instinct. No data to back that up.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Also might indicate more child tickets are selling. I'm still thinking 425M~ DOM finish regardless. Far too much competition and early loss of PLFs to coast as SMBM. Even if AtSV doesn't lose them all this weekend to TRotB, it will absolutely have lose them all when Flash and Elemental release the following weekend.

I know it a different release date and everything but Dead Man's Chest has great audience reactions. 135M OW DOM for a 425M DOM TOT. My feeling is that AtSV finishes with a similar DOM TOT as PotC:DMC. Just a gut instinct. No data to back that up.

I’m definitely hopeful for $400M+, and PLF loss will hurt. But the reality is that the rest of the summer slate isn’t looking like much of a gauntlet: Transformers and Flash will offer some direct competition, but not on a massive scale, and after that there (IMO) really isn’t much in the way of posting sub-40% if not 30% drops from weeks 4 and beyond 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, M37 said:

I’m definitely hopeful for $400M+, and PLF loss will hurt. But the reality is that the rest of the summer slate isn’t looking like much of a gauntlet: Transformers and Flash will offer some direct competition, but not on a massive scale, and after that there (IMO) really isn’t much in the way of posting sub-40% if not 30% drops from weeks 4 and beyond 

Isn't 400M+ the more likely outcome right now, atleast given how the data is tracking so far? Or are you waiting for Wed numbers to see if it was spillover?

4 minutes ago, Bobzaruni said:

Isn't 400M+ the more likely outcome right now, atleast given how the data is tracking so far? Or are you waiting for Wed numbers to see if it was spillover?

I personally would be surprised if AtSV doesn't at least get just over 400M+ DOM. I think that's the floor. That said, like I said earlier my gut instinct is something around 425M DOM give or take 15M in either direction up or down.