Issac Newton

Weekend Thread | Transformers $25.6M FRI

2 hours ago, WorkingonaName said:

I don't think Disney exces think of it that way. 

Disney failed it at the jump, with the budget.  If they had reined Mermaid in to a movie with a $150M budget, especially since they didn't cast expensively, it would be a definite win.

As I said a few days ago, Mermaid and Fast X had the same problem, probably made worse by COVID delays/restrictions/etc - good (but not "wow" great) theatrical performances, but just too high budgets.  So, going forward, both need tighten the strings on follow on movies, but those movies can still be made - a certain level of audience will be there...

And both movies are movie theater successes.  Mermaid more DOM and Fast X more overseas, but both filled seats for May when GOTG 3 was the only other big draw...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, DTP said:

I'm surprised Madagascar hasn't gotten a proper sequel in over a decade.  I liked those movies.

There actually was one in the works for a 2018 release during the early-to-mid-2010s. It, along with the original Arabian Nights iteration of Puss in Boots 2 and many others got scrapped after the studio was restructured in early 2015 after a string of disappointments up until then. After the success of the Puss 2 we got I imagine they'll look into another Madagascar eventually, although that'll depend on if Gloria and Marty can get along nowadays.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, stripe said:

Magic Mike.

Isn't Magic Mike mostly just a weird situation where WB used it as a test case for alternative distribution strategies (significantly reduced theater count with promised local monopolies). Pre-pandemic, you can see films like Logan Lucky or Snowpiercer get dinged for this sort of thing. 

20 hours ago, Gopher said:

Maybe this is just me following this stuff for 15 years (christ) but I've never seen the climate both on these boards and in general trade reporting so concerned with using whatever statistics we have access to in proving what's doing "well" or not-- while at the same time, these statistics have never been less transparent to independent observers. The budgets reported for these tentpoles are always lies, all of these movies were mega-inflated by covid shutdowns over the past few years. At the same time studios post-covid are making an absolute killing on $25 VOD rentals, which we'll never see the full result of, and according to the people who theoretically lost money on movies (again, huge grain of salt) that 17-day window system is actually putting theatrical bombs like The Northman into the black. We used to get data about what was selling on VHS/DVD, now we don't. Little Mermaid, Spiderverse and Transformers all made an untold killing through merchandising and marketing tie-ins. There's never been more we don't know, in my opinion, and that's how the studios like to have it (also why industry creatives are striking this year).

Don't we get some ordinal rankings from DEG and major platforms release their top sellers weekly? I don't really know how to translate those (because there's obviously not a uniform weekly home video market gross to split up) but I imagine there's at least some way to use those to estimate how a film like Northman or Woman King did post-theatrically. 

16 minutes ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

Isn't Magic Mike mostly just a weird situation where WB used it as a test case for alternative distribution strategies (significantly reduced theater count with promised local monopolies). Pre-pandemic, you can see films like Logan Lucky or Snowpiercer get dinged for this sort of thing. 

Yes, but that situation was a result of WB weird postCovid strategy. In normal situation it would have grossed more than it finally did.

1 hour ago, Boxx93 said:

Yes, Universal really went overboard with that budget. 340 million is simply too much, even for the Fast franchise.

About the other movies, I didn't even knew that Margaret movie existed until it opened and Renfield I didn't really cared about. But those are low budgeted movies, they dont do much damage if they loss money (unless you're Amsterdam or Babylon). Its the big tentpole ones like Fast X, Shazam 2, Dungeons and Dragons, and pretty much all Disney movies that do damage their wallets when they fail. This industry needs to be more fiscally responsable for the sake of the studios themselves and their audience. The more the budgets in general rises, the more movie tickets tend to rise to cover their losses.

Thank god we have movies like Mario and John Wick 4 and pretty much any Blumhouse movie to buck that trend.

The problem is, those low-budget films aren't even breaking even before leaving theaters. If we're getting well-reviewed films with a $30 million budget that can't even make that back in theaters, what's the point?

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, grey ghost said:

Isn't the hippo Jada Pinket and the zebra Chris Rock? :sparta:

They can record in different times/studios/or rooms. Plenty of aninated movies now have their VA's voice act in isolated rooms without any other VA.

1 hour ago, grey ghost said:

How do they view TLM being the top selling toy in North America?

I've understood the toys sales of TLM in North America were pretty good. It may be similar in other countries where the movies was popular.

That said, I know movies could be created to promote merchandise, but people seem to forget that the creation of merchandise like toys has its own costs. It's unlikely Disney (or any company) will be happy to use the income from toys to cover a loss in theaters.

Edited by Kon
  • Like 1

Wow! Stay above 60m to 61m!

Date Rank Gross % Change Theaters Per Theater Total Gross Days
Jun 8, 2023 P $8,800,000   3,100 $2,839   $8,800,000  
Jun 9, 2023 1 $25,649,418   3,678 $6,974   $25,649,418 1
Jun 10, 2023 2 $19,365,981 -24% 3,678 $5,265   $45,015,399 2
Jun 11, 2023 2 $16,030,065 -17% 3,678 $4,358   $61,045,464 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Bumblebee OW was just $21m, so $61m OW for ROTB should be considered a WIN.

Agree. However, it was just announced that it’s hitting digital platforms on July 11 (Spiderverse on July 18) so that might impact its legs…

On another note, I’m disappointed so many huge movies are releasing in such a short time. Would have loved to see Transformers, Fast X, and Indiana Jones in cinemas, but I already saw the little mermaid twice and I don’t have *that* much money (I’m willing to bet I’m not the only one, so why did the studios do this?).

22 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Wow! Stay above 60m to 61m!

Date Rank Gross % Change Theaters Per Theater Total Gross Days
Jun 8, 2023 P $8,800,000   3,100 $2,839   $8,800,000  
Jun 9, 2023 1 $25,649,418   3,678 $6,974   $25,649,418 1
Jun 10, 2023 2 $19,365,981 -24% 3,678 $5,265   $45,015,399 2
Jun 11, 2023 2 $16,030,065 -17% 3,678 $4,358   $61,045,464 3

:insane:

• Like 1