kayumanggi

Weekend Actuals (Jun 23 - 25) | 19.00M ATSV | 18.44M ELEMENTAL | 15.14M THE FLASH | 15.00M NO HARD FEELINGS

2 hours ago, cookie said:

Where NHF fails for me, at least in how the marketing presents it, is that JLaw's character has an external reason for why she tries to bang the kid: she's not completely detestable or crazy, she's financially desperate, and the parents are tricking the kid into it because they subscribe to rather insane beliefs about how he needs to "enter into manhood". That makes everything that happens afterward a whole lot less funny and it instead makes things uncomfortable and weird, and I can't buy into the premise because of that.

The marketing may lead someone to believe that above but the movie follows an entirely different course. JLaw’s character (Maddie) does not sexually prey on him (Percy). She is forward, yes, but she is not some sort of sexually aggressive villain a la Sharon Stone in Basic Instinct. In fact, she is the butt of almost all of the jokes in the film and she actually tries to do the right thing a few times. There are some sweet moments in addition to some hilarious ones. Any moral objections to the film based on the marketing are completely overblown. If the film is not a huge hit theatrically, I could see it becoming a minor breakout once it streams because the film is ultimately very wholesome.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, IronJimbo & Sheldon's Son said:

What are we thinking, 4.5, 6, 4 for $14.5m (-74%)?

Whatever path gets it to $14.73M 😎