baumer

Weekend Thread | July 7-9 | Weekend Estimates on Page 32

Checking the charts - how is it possible that WB only has one film in release - The Flash - A24, Focus, Lionsgate and even Music Box, Magnolia and Janus have more films in release.  Crazy.  I know they cut their slate but they used to have 20+ releases a year.  No wonder they have so much time, resources and money to promote Barbie.

Edited by TalismanRing

Just now, MysteryMovieMogul said:

One argument against ELEMENTAL I never understood was its trailers.

There hasn't been a single Pixar film that had amazing trailers. Some even had downright terrible trailers. And I've been a Pixar diehard since 1995.

Well, I do think they were a pretty big liability in this case, at least the final trailer and TV spots. If there were ever a box office run indicative of terrible marketing this would be it.

1 hour ago, IronJimbo & Sheldon's Son said:

Told ya it'd get to $10m!

Assuming Sunday was revised up to 3.4m... 

mon 1.7m (-50%)

tues 2.55m (+50%)

wed 1.8 (-29%)

thurs 1.65 (-8%)

fri 2.3 (+39%)

sat 3.0 (+30%)

sun 2.6 (-13%)

5th wkd 7.9 (-21%)

total: 125.22

tho based on this film's history I wouldn't be surprised at better holds and a 5th weekend over 8m. 

Edited by harry713

3 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Checking the charts - how is it possible that WB only has one film in release - The Flash - A24, Focus, Lionsgate and even Music Box, Magnolia and Janus have more films in release.  Crazy.

Because they're broke! How many theaters will The Flash even be in for Barbenheimer weekend? How much will it make July 21-23?

12 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

One argument against ELEMENTAL I never understood was its trailers.

There hasn't been a single Pixar film that had amazing trailers. Some even had downright terrible trailers. And I've been a Pixar diehard since 1995.

I love Pixar to death but outside of their teasers (which are generally very good, including Elemental's) their trailers do tend to be very hit or miss. They are aiming at kids with the trailers, tbf, so it's likely that I'm just not the target audience, but they have had a history of hiding a lot more then most other studios in an attempt to appeal to a wider audiences. Coco's trailers did the same.

• Like 2

I kind of had a feeling that sound of freedom would increase from estimates. When I saw the movie yesterday it was a half full auditorium at 4:30 in the afternoon. That seemed pretty substantial to me.

Insidious The Red Door up to $33m with actuals, nice. 

Insidious 5 had the biggest horror opening of all time in the Philippines. They had to add extra midnight screenings to meet the demand (from the OS thread). 

• Astonished 3

2 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Damn that must be some killer WOM for Elemental.

Daytime and afternoon showings at my local theater are still selling out. Kids and families are going nuts for it.

• Like 1