Eric the Fall Guy

Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning Part 1 (2023)

Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning Part 1 (2023)  

15 members have voted

1. 1. What'd You Think?

Absolutely loved it. Have it just above FALLOUT atm. My 2nd favorite MI film. Ranking the action sequences:

DESERT SHOOTING 5/10 (it was nice, but too short to have a great impact)

INTRO 6/10 (nice start, but nowhere near as good as GHOST PROTOCOL and the first MI)

WASHINGTON DC (classic IMP trickery, Kittridge was very good, overall the film's first half an hour was a bit meh, but then boy did it pick up)

MOTORBIKE JUMP 7/10 (it looks gorgeous on the big screen, but it's over quickly and seen everything in the the featurette before, so it softens the impact)

VENICE 7/10 (obviously some important stuff is going down, we have seen better club scenes and fights before. Have no problem with Ilsa's fate, she is busy with other projects, so better to give an on-screen death than outright leave her out from the next one. Thought the sweet moments before the big meeting between Ethan and Ilsa were beautiful)

SPEED FLYING 8/10 (ok, it is not a big moment in the film, probably overlooked how difficult that is and how effortlessly Cruise lands with it so close to the camera coming down with high speed, very cool moment, I loved it)

ROME CAR CHASE 10/10 (it's crazy that's only the third best set piece of the film, it's beautifully done, funny, exciting and Hayley and Cruise are just played it perfectly, Pom is having fun here, too. Yellow FIAT for MVP)

TRAIN SEQUENCE 10/10 (what a climax, just amazingly put together, it has everything and everyone plays a part, truly heart-in-the-mouth stuff)

AIRPORT SCENE 10/10 (now this might come as a surprise that this would end up my favorite part so early on the film, but this is MI at its best and proves how good of a writer/director McQ is. All the major characters introduced and goes to show that you don't need big explosions and fight scenes to create a great, tense sequence. Instant chemistry between Ethan and Grace, funny gromaces by Whigham and sets up the whole film nicely)

I had no issue with the plot, I thought it was clever and very topical and clearly we'll get know get to know more about the Entity and Gabriel in Part Two

Overall 9/10

• Like 2

Thought this was fantastic, as per usual with this series. I think it might be the lesser of the three McQuarrie films by default of it being a Part One (and a nagging plot decision that I'm not huge on) but that's like saying "this is the weakest pizza", like it's still pizza. It's a technical feat, that's for sure - every setpiece is wonderful with the standouts being the entire Venice sequence and the train climax. Both Cruise and Atwell have amazing chemistry and I sincerely hope to see more of them together in these films going forward, and I really like Esai Morales' villain. Klementieff was a standout too, she is having a hell of a year. I think the decision to shoot this on digital means it's not as immediately beautiful as Fallout was but I love the modern edge this purposefully gives it. Considering the nature of the story, this is an M:I grabbling with the future in a lot of ways and the series is clearly evolving.

It's good fun. I kinda feel the same way about all these movies. I don't feel super strongly about them but they're enjoyable to watch. Honestly it seemed like the other movies had more impressive stunts. Not that I want to take for granted how impressive the motorcycle jump is, but at this point I feel like I've seen it 50 times. There weren't any big showstopper setpieces like the Dubai tower or the helicopter sequence.

Hayley Atwell is pretty hot though.

• Like 1

The worst by default since MI3 but less because of anything wrong with it and more because the last three have been perfectly tight, action perfection in every way. This is messier and a bit more muddled but it is still brilliant fun and so much better staged than most blockbusters. Def feels more Part One-y than some of the more glowing reviews make it seem though tbh.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Cmasterclay said:

The worst by default since MI3 but less because of anything wrong with it and more because the last three have been perfectly tight, action perfection in every way. This is messier and a bit more muddled but it is still brilliant fun and so much better staged than most blockbusters. Def feels more Part One-y than some of the more glowing reviews make it seem though tbh.

Oh it's absolutely a Part One. Half of it is setup and exposition, though considering how many moving parts there are to this story I get the need to split it (seriously there are like 3 antagonists in this). I feel like Part Two will easily trounce this one.

Somehow, 27 years in, the Mission: Impossible film franchise remains as fresh and vital as ever with Dead Reckoning Part One. In a series that has already delivered more than its fair share of memorable, elaborate action sequences and followed certain traditions and story beats with reliable precision, director and co-writer Christopher McQuarrie continues to bring a strong sense of cleverness and invention that makes the proceedings so dynamic and exciting that it hits objectives without ever feeling like it’s checking off boxes. Even when it engages in franchise mainstays like chasing a MacGuffin, disarming a bomb, or latex mask disguises, it does so in ways that feel organic to the plot and elevate the stakes the characters face. The result is a film whose 163-minute runtime zips by as the narrative glides from one breathtaking sequence to another, and the climax ranks among the most ambitious, exciting, and visually stunning pieces across the entire franchise; that said, there’s also a car chase through Venice whose sheer propulsive energy places it a close second. Even though the film explicitly bills itself as the first part of a larger story, it also feels like a mostly complete and satisfying story, ending on more of a pause between acts than the kind of cliffhanger one would normally expect from a part one. As always, Tom Cruise is in his element as Ethan Hunt, working his charm and physicality to brilliant effect; even in his sixties, Cruise approaches his many ridiculous stunts with the same swagger and verve he has possessed throughout his entire career, and he’s as fun as ever to watch. The supporting stalwarts are all a delight to see again, especially Henry Czerny in his first time back since the 1996 original with the same level of command he possessed back then and Vanessa Kirby in a performance that takes surprisingly effective physical and comedic turns. The new cast members are also rock-solid, with Hayley Atwell in a highly entertaining performance as a slippery, reluctant sidekick who shares fun chemistry with Cruise, Esai Morales in an effectively intimidating performance as the new (human) heavy, and Pom Klementieff as a cool henchwoman who gets some suitably badass moments. Franchises that run this long normally see diminishing returns and exist as shells of their former selves, but Dead Reckoning Part One successfully takes the Mission: Impossible series to ever more impressive places and – best of all – still feels like it’s gearing up for something even bigger and better without sacrificing any of its effectiveness in the here and now. 

A- 

And now, the more spoilery stray thoughts:
- I was hyped as soon as Henry Czerny showed up in the trailer last summer, and his return as Kittridge does not disappoint. I loved the subversion of the callback when Ethan responded nonchalantly to Kittridge's "I know you're very upset" line.

- Watching this film after listening to most of Blank Check's coverage of Buster Keaton's films, it's hard not to see the Keaton influence here. McQuarrie's approach to focus on the action sequences first and build a story around them has paid off beautifully in the last three films, as it has allowed for the action to be more audacious and elaborate while also not making the surrounding plot points feel convoluted or overstuffed.

- Not gonna lie: I feel like the filmmakers must have looked at their watches while seeing No Time to Die and said "Let's go even further into the runtime before hitting the opening credits. And yet, much like in that film, I can't imagine a break in the action coming any earlier without feeling obligatory or rushed.

- The decision to shed more light on Ethan's origin and the IMF inner workings is really well done. It's done in such a compelling fashion that it doesn't just feel like a retcon, and it retroactively adds layers to his characterization and that of other IMF folks, and all without bogging down the narrative. I'm excited to see where they go with these ideas in the next film.

- I low-key loved how the film paused to show Grace tying her hair back after moving to the exterior of the train. One of those little things you almost never see, even when it makes perfect sense for a character to do.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Webslinger said:

- I was hyped as soon as Henry Czerny showed up in the trailer last summer, and his return as Kittridge does not disappoint. I loved the subversion of the callback when Ethan responded nonchalantly to Kittridge's "I know you're very upset" line.

Yeah he's got great presence as a shady government agent guy, I always thought the series should've used him more

• Like 1

Another terrific and exciting entry in the exhilarating Mission: Impossible series. Ethan Hunt is the closest character the Hollywood studios have come to finding its American James Bond, and I appreciate these movies for their ability to balance high-octane set pieces with compelling storytelling and haven't become bogged down in absurd plot twists or action sequences that have absolutely no basis in reality (see: the silly live-action cartoons the Fast & Furious movies have become). It adds up to an adventure that delivers many exciting moments (my favorite: the train scene although the car chase is a very close second) across its long but not exhausting 163 minutes.

And oh man, what perfect timing for a movie in which the primary villain is AI considering everything that's going on in the entertainment industry right now. :lol:

Tom Cruise remains a certified Movie Star even at 61, and the cast that surrounds him (both new and returning) is utilized well. Hayley Atwell is a strong addition, and it's cool to see a completely different side to Pom Klementieff free of her Mantis getup. Pretty epic seeing Henry Czerny again. My only real complaint with the movie is that the connection between Cruise and Rebecca Ferguson has never been strong enough that Ilsa's death has the impact that it should, but that's a minor complaint. Esai Morales is stuck with a really bland antagonist (at least in this movie), but then again, these movies have always struggled with creating memorable or compelling villains (perhaps not to upstage Cruise), so it's hard to remove points for that.

As the title implies, this is definitely a Part One, but it still comes across as a self-contained movie compared to this summer's other Part One titles that end on big cliffhangers (Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse, Fast X). I'm definitely excited to see how this story concludes when the next one arrives, whether it's next year or in 2025.

A-

• Like 2

It's probably the weakest of the last three if only by default because it's still very very good. The action is so crisp and so well staged, it pretty much mops the floor with any other action blockbuster that came out this year. The mega set piece at the end especially was masterful. The way they kept delaying the motorcycle jump that;s been the most publicized stunt of the movie was really well thought out and dare I say with a meta wink at the audience. The new additions are also great, I was worried Pom Klementieff might be a wordless henchman that will just die in the end, but thank god. If anything this movie lacks compared to the last 2 McQ movies is efficiently given economic exposition. There's a few too many scenes of characters sitting around explaining obvious things to each other that kinda hurts the pace of the movie. But the thing that really bugged me was Ilsa's death. It was both so uneccesary and anticlimatic, it almost gave me Black Widow in Endgame flashbacks. I guess I'll have to wait for part 2 to make it definitive and that there's no mask silly buisness involved, but at the moment it feels like the first big moment the franchise has bungled in ages.

• Like 1

Obviously covid changed some plans. I think Ferguson was simply busy, so couldn't commit to Part Two at the time. On the other hand, Angela Bassett was also meant to come back, but we got Czerny instead, which worked out pretty well. Shea Whigham was a cool addition as well and there's more to discover between him and Ethan. Morales is ok, nothing special. Again, his part was supposed to be Hoult. So scenes are clearly re-written and don't flow great in the movie. Give credit to him doing the stuns with Cruise, though. Definitely more to come from his chararcter in DR2 and they have the time now to write the part better for him. Pom's character arc is very intriguing, curious how it pans out.

Edited by The Dark Alfred
  • Like 1

Some immediate post-viewing thoughts.

The high points are very high. The Rome car chase and the entire train sequence are beautifully done, and I genuinely had to catch my breath by the final bridge/crash/ravine segment. Also - I'm happy with any film that homages the trailer sequence from The Lost World: Jurassic Park. Tom Cruise has never been more Tom Cruise. Hayley Atwell is a fine addition to the team. Vanessa Kirby is going for a mega-camp vibe (kind of from nowhere) and I'm here for it. 

The tone of the film feels much more zany and outlandish than any of the others. It also feels more Bond-ian than any of the others (the 'fridging' of Faust doesn't exactly help this). Having just re-watched Fallout, it definitely feels a lot messier and less tightly plotted. I couldn't follow what was happening at the big showdown in the Venice party, and all of the double crossing on the train. I might have missed it but why does Ving Rhames disappear in the last act? The two 'agents-in-pursuit' cliche is tiresome and slows the entire film down whenever they appear.

The cliffhanger actually kind of works in a horcrux-y set-up kind of way. I yo-yoed on whether AI as villain works or not... For now I think it does.

Definitely not as sharp as the prior two but when it flies it really soars. A- 

Current MI series ranking

Rogue Nation A+

Fallout A

Ghost Protocol A

MI 1 A-

Dead Reckoning pt 1A-

MI 3 B+

Am I missing something?

• Like 2

Fantastic movie. The action set pieces are great. There is more humor in this installment compared to the last 3. Solid performances and score. Haylee Atwell is a good addition. Several scenes with the two agents after Ethan Hunt were hilarious.

A

Some of the most fun I've had in theaters in a long while. Brilliant set pieces (the train sequence is exhilarating), the acting from Cruise, Atwell, and Kirby are great; it's just so much fucking fun. We lack movies like this these days.

A 

• Like 2

On 7/17/2023 at 1:17 PM, IndustriousAngel said:

entertaining sets and stunts but the plot was overly complicated and convoluted ... pretty silly imho but time flew by nontheless.

MI plots are supposed to be complicated...that is one of things from the TV seres that McQuarrie brought to the franchise that had been missing.

2 hours ago, Noctis said:

Some of the most fun I've had in theaters in a long while. Brilliant set pieces (the train sequence is exhilarating), the acting from Cruise, Atwell, and Kirby are great; it's just so much fucking fun. We lack movies like this these days.

A 

and now thanks to it flopping we will get even less

Hadn’t been to a Dolby theater in a minute and wow… my ears are still ringing a couple days later.

A solid entry into the MI franchise, which remains the best action thrillers Hollywood has to offer. In this one, the highlights of the previews movies continue: the thrilling set pieces, the fun twists and cat-and-mouse games, the on-location shooting, and the emphasis on practical effects. At this point, you know why you watch Mission Impossible, and this brings all of it to the table.

On the flip side, there a few creative choices in this one that don’t click, and I think watching all the past films so recently made those a bit more glaring. First and foremost for me were some of the directorial choices; particularly with the framing. An over-emphasis on extreme close-ups and Dutch angles, an obvious callback to the first film (and, I’m convinced, a convenient way to shoot during the extreme covid measures this had going on during its filming). It’s just too much and actively distracted me from some of the scenes. A few of the screenplay choices also didn’t hit, for me, but this is a part 1, so it’s hard to judge without seeing part 2.

Where it stands, I had a blast (the train sequence… just wow), but this ranks a little lower than most of this franchise’s movies in my book :(

8/10