The Wild Eric

C’MON BARBIE LET'S GO PARTY...AT LOS ALAMOS | BARBENHEIMER WEEKEND THREAD | We’re Thriving in our Plastic Fantastic Era | Mother Mothered with 162M | Daddy Exploded with 82.4M

Your Barbenheimer weekend plans  

175 members have voted

1. 1. What are you going to watch this weekend specifically?

9 hours ago, swearwords said:

ft4w7aw6tidb1.jpg

Lmao there is currently a large mechanized land war on this continent involving the biggest nuclear power that only seems to be heading down a path of indefinite escalation and most of it is more interested in the silly doll movie over the very relevant, timely, and excellent Oppenheimer, including the two countries at war.   God help us all.

• Knock It Off 1

More Dolby screens would be very welcome, they're almost always fully booked for big movies. I have a theater less than 5 minutes away from me but they only have 1 mediocre Imax screen. Would definitely go more if they built a Dolby theater. 

• Like 2

so we are a few hours from media declaring barbie the biggest ow of 2023; made me wonder: is there an agreed-upon method, among box office followers, of converting 6-day, 5-day, or 4-day ows into 3-days?

if there is, what would mario be? guessing something like 180, but I'm just going off a hunch

Edited by interiorgatordecorator
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, AdrianL said:

More Dolby screens would be very welcome, they're almost always fully booked for big movies. I have a theater less than 5 minutes away from me but they only have 1 mediocre Imax screen. Would definitely go more if they built a Dolby theater. 

Agreed. Plus with monthly subscription plans it renders the extra cost of Dolby obsolete. I pay $25 a month for my Stubbs A-List membership at AMC. I don’t know why anyone who frequents the movies wouldn’t get that or the equivalent at a competitor. I’ve seen 4 films already this month in Dolby and I’ve still only spent the $25. 

1 minute ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

so we are a few hours from media declaring barbie the biggest ow of 2023; made me wonder: is there an agreed-upon method, among box office followers, of converting 6-day, 5-day, or 4-day ows into 3-days?

if there is, what would mario be? guessing something like 185, but I'm just going of a hunch

My method is find a comparable Friday opening during the same month, Furious 7 in 2015 for example opened over easter weekend as well, then compare the first 7 days and take the weekend ratio. 180-something is what I come up with as well.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

Lmao there is currently a large mechanized land war on this continent involving the biggest nuclear power that only seems to be heading down a path of indefinite escalation and most of it is more interested in the silly doll movie over the very relevant, timely, and excellent Oppenheimer, including the two countries at war.   God help us all.

If Putin was Barbie, Russia wouldn't have been in this spot in the first place.

We need the ghost of Catherine the Great to haunt his ass and knock some sense into him

ELLE FANNING as CATHERINE in THE GREAT (2020 -) - Tumbex

2 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

if there is, what would mario be? guessing something like 185, but I'm just going of a hunch

For 5-day openings, I like to take the average of the 5-day total and 3-day weekend. An example would be Spidey 2 as a Wednesday opener with 5-day total of $152M and 3-day weekend of $88M. This averages out to $120M for a Friday opening weekend. 

It’s trickier to use this approach on 6-day, 7-day openings. I just kind of shrug my shoulders on that type of opening. Hard to compare it with a Friday opening. 

• Like 1

I don't think this will happen, in fact I give it less than a 10% chance of happening; but could Oppenheimer cross $100M on Monday?

F: $33M

S: $28M (24% increase from True Friday, $61M cume)

S: $25M (11% decrease, $86M cume)

M: $14M (44% decrease, $100M cume)

IMAX and other PLF screens will stay packed/sold out all week and they are already comprising about 50% of the film's gross. That percentage will only increase as time passes. $100M after four days seems improbable but it's not impossible. 

• Like 1

MI now seems like a real flop. 

And wouldn't be surprised if part 2 even makes less.

They should really come with something different than tom is 75 years old and he can drive a plane. It's fun the first - second time  then give us something girl....

Edited by vale9001
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

I don't think this will happen, in fact I give it less than a 10% chance of happening; but could Oppenheimer cross $100M on Monday?

F: $33M

S: $28M (24% increase from True Friday, $61M cume)

S: $25M (11% decrease, $86M cume)

M: $14M (44% decrease, $100M cume)

IMAX and other PLF screens will stay packed/sold out all week and they are already comprising about 50% of the film's gross. That percentage will only increase as time passes. $100M after four days seems improbable but it's not impossible. 

Possible, I have penciled in a 50% drop for Monday but that's probably too conservative, the spillover effect could easily be bigger. 

Honestly always though indiana would bomb cause an action blockbuster with someone 80 years old as the lead is the worst idea ever on Hollywood history. 

Never saw MI doing this low, I thought as almost everyone about that TG2 effect so even bigger than the usually. 

6 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

i hope this pushes Cruise to act in real movies again , need another collaboration with Spielberg

He'll be clamoring to work with a big name director again; yet it won't be Spielberg, not after seeing a 3 hour, R rated biopic with minimal violence outgross the latest edition of his pet franchise in less than a week.

9 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

MI now seems like a real flop. 

And wouldn't be surprised if part 2 even makes less.

They should really come with something different than tom is 75 years old and he can drive a plane. It's fun the first - second time  then give us something girl....

MI7 is an excellent movie of its own. Part ii will do probably better. Is just Barbie i like James Cameron Titanic getting the attention.

23 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

if there is, what would mario be? guessing something like 180, but I'm just going off a hunch

IMO, the best (but imperfect) way to compare openings, not just mid-weeks but across seasons, is to use the first full week 

Mario, after 7 days, with some Easter break inflation but no previews, had just over $240M - that’s the mark to beat. BPWF = $220.7, Avatar 2 = $197.7, Thor = $187.3, ATSV = $170.0, GOTG3 = $152.7

Edited by M37

Just now, Day and Date The Best said:

MI7 is an excellent movie of its own. Part ii will do probably better. Is just Barbie i like James Cameron Titanic getting the attention.

I'm seeing it doing better in the US probably but WW the part 2 of an action movie (same for fast and furious) imo lands to lower numbers with the second part.

3 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

Honestly always though indiana would bomb cause an action blockbuster with someone 80 years old as the lead is the worst idea ever on Hollywood history. 

Never saw MI doing this low, I thought as almost everyone about that TG2 effect so even bigger than the usually.

Indiana Jones just looked like some more unspectacular formulaic factory film making from Disney, same with The Flash/WB.  The fact that those two movies bombed and Barbie/Oppenheimer are over-performing is excellent for the business.  Now hopefully Napoleon/Killers of the Flower Moon do really well.

• Like 1