Eric Lasagna

C’MON BARBIE LET'S GO PARTY...AT LOS ALAMOS | BARBENHEIMER WEEKEND THREAD | We’re Thriving in our Plastic Fantastic Era | Mother Mothered with 162M | Daddy Exploded with 82.4M

Your Barbenheimer weekend plans  

175 members have voted

1. 1. What are you going to watch this weekend specifically?

12 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Warner Bros is absolutely going to take the wrong lesson from this and start greenlighting a bunch of corporate schlock that Will Ferrel's character was essentially parodying. They did it with the LEGO Movie, and they're going to do it with Barbie. 

I'm not totally sure it's the wrong lesson, but WB will definitely do that.

Damn, the success of Barbie has the Box Office subreddit in a tizzy. I can't believe I'm already reading "Snow White is going to flop 100%" analysis. I feel sorry for any other movie perceived as woke in the next year, and I really feel sorry for any future films Greta Gerwig is attached to (she's apparently one of Snow White's writers!?!).

Charlie mentioned way upthread that he thought Barbie stood a chance to hit $30M today. Unless there is a widespread small market collapse, I think $30M is easily achievable. Some screenings I checked in a variety of cities were almost as full as the weekend. Barbie certainly is giving signs that Mario’s reign atop the 2023 list may be coming to an end.

• Like 1

Just now, Marathon said:

Is 200 pages equivalent to a $200m opening weekend?

Well lets say its a feat that 2 years ago at the height of the pandemic seemed impossible to reach again really. Many members left during Covid and in generel, the atmosphere around the movie industry became more pessimistic and bleak.

Maybe im stretching a bit here, but i feel like a weekend thread reaching 200 pages is a very nice throwback to this forums glory days.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Redolent said:

The way Barbie is packing out UK cinemas on weekdays is pretty sensational.

At my theater, we did around 67% occupancy over the weekend for Barbie and 70% for Oppenheimer, however, we did have double the screens for Barbie so that is outrageously good, however, I feel if we had more showings for Oppenheimer like we are having for Barbie it would be doing near but not as well as Barbie is doing which is nuts. 

Sales for both today were crazy, we doing around 3.2k admits when our Sunday number was around 4.8k 

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

Damn, the success of Barbie has the Box Office subreddit in a tizzy. I can't believe I'm already reading "Snow White is going to flop 100%" analysis. I feel sorry for any other movie perceived as woke in the next year, and I really feel sorry for any future films Greta Gerwig is attached to (she's apparently one of Snow White's writers!?!).

Barbie hit the ‘nostalgia’ factor partly because it had Margot Robbie, aka the ‘ideal’ Barbie - slim, white, pretty, blonde - front and centre in the marketing.  When people were mocking the idea of Amy Schumer as Barbie, it’s not just because they don’t like her or her comedy, but also because she’s basically seen in some quarters as “fat and ugly” (sorry).

So in some ways, Barbie was absolutely marketed as classic nostalgia fare. No commentary yet on Snow White and how it manages to achieve that or not.

Edited by Redolent

6 minutes ago, Redolent said:

Barbie hit the ‘nostalgia’ factor partly because it had Margot Robbie, aka the ‘ideal’ Barbie - slim, white, pretty, blonde - front and centre in the marketing.  When people were mocking the idea of Amy Schumer as Barbie, it’s not just because they don’t like her or her comedy, but also because she’s basically seen in some quarters as fat and ugly (sorry).

So in some ways, Barbie was absolutely marketed as classic nostalgia fare. No commentary yet on Snow White and how it manages to achieve that or not.

Did you just bring up Amy Schumer to call her fat and ugly? I mean, she was attached to this film once upon a time, but nothing came of it, so she's rather irrelevant to the conversation.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

Did you just bring up Amy Schumer to call her fat and ugly? I mean, she was attached to this film once upon a time, but nothing came of it, so she's rather irrelevant to the conversation.

No, those were the kinds of nasty comments Schumer was eliciting - everywhere -  when she was mentioned in relation to the movie. And it was ‘oh I’m so glad we got Margot’ instead. 

This is about the nostalgia factor and how it’s triggered when people feel you’ve cast a Barbie who looks like a ‘Barbie’.

Is Barbie ‘woke’? In some ways yes, but in other ways, not at all.

Edited by Redolent
  • Like 2