Oppenheimer (2023)  

55 members have voted

1. 1. What'd You Think?

I am a sucker "get the team together and build this thing" so everything from student Oppenheimer to Truman scene is just flawless IMO. It feels like a bit of montage but it must to capture the enormous scope of what they were doing.  

Also loved how directly it portrays the various perspectives. 

"Germany is defeated, we don't need this bomb anymore!" "well, actually, Japan still exists"

"You didn't drop the bomb. I did" 

80% of this movie just outright flawless filmmaking.

Edited by excel1

9 hours ago, ThePhasmid said:

From a technical standpoint, the first chapter was a poetic fusion of sound and imagery similar to Malick. However, it still feels slightly disconnected from the overall narrative. I have to revisit it, because it seemed like Nolan was just flexing his technical prowess.

Capturing his headspace. Like a lot of other scientists who helped bring quantum physics to the limelight, Oppenheimer had this intuition about the way the world worked on a molecular level (these guys were fucking crazy but also smart enough to do something important with that craziness). But it's also made up entirely of fantasy. There's this wonder to discovering this hidden world that Oppenheimer saw in his head. But it's all theory. After the bomb explodes, his visions become images of people being burnt alive, suffering, and the end of the world. The consequences of uncovering that world. It serves as a juxtaposition to the ending.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 2

I thought it was very good.  My #2 film of the year at this point.  It is by no means an all time great or an instant classic, though. Somehow the least impressive technical moment was the bomb itself.  I did not care for the way it was presented.  The acting, cinematography, score, and  sound design were all superb.  Some of the anecdotes in the first 30 minutes or so seemed superfluous, but otherwise the pacing was good.  I do kind of wish the parallel stories met at the end though.  The movie loses some steam after the bomb had been dropped.

Edited by ZackM
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, excel1 said:

Does Jack Quaid even have 1 line of dialogue here?

It's becoming a trademark for Nolan, like with Spielberg and Scorsese, that during the announcement process of his movies that one of the most exciting parts is seeing which actors are the latest to claim bragging rights to having worked with them, even if they have barely anything to do in the movies themselves

• Like 1

15 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

Capturing his headspace. Like a lot of other scientists who helped bring quantum physics to the limelight, Oppenheimer had this intuition about the way the world worked on a molecular level (these guys were fucking crazy but also smart enough to do something important with that craziness). But it's also made up entirely of fantasy. There's this wonder to discovering this hidden world that Oppenheimer saw in his head. But it's all theory. After the bomb explodes, his visions become images of people being burnt alive, suffering, and the end of the world. The consequences of uncovering that world. It serves as a juxtaposition to the ending.

I saw it yesterday. I have a background in my past life in theoretical nuclear physics and I loved how the film captured his headspace and when Bohr asked if he hears the music. I know from firsthand experience what he meant and I was sold from that on. This will be most likely the defining film for physicists and especially theoretical physicists for decades to come, meaning that there won't be another film in a long time that gets to a theoretical physicist's headspace and is a masterpiece of a film. Seeing Einstein, Bohr, Heisenberg, and co. was just icing on the cake. Cillian Murphy made an Oscar-winning performance and RDJ was great too. The ending worked and made to think about the bigger picture as much as one man's journey, calling, and sacrifice. It didn't feel as a three-hour movie at all. Because I spend everyday time in that hidden world and fantasy unless I suppress it and cover it with other noise, I might not be the best to review this but with the impact I felt, 5 stars for sure and 10/10. I came out from the theater eyes wide open like Oppenheimer and stared at nothingness for about 10 minutes. A lot to process.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ZackM said:

My #2 film of the year at this point.  It is by no means an all time great or an instant classic, though.

May I ask? Out of curiosity and in need of recommendations during my free time, What pray tell would your top film of the year? 

Can’t be bothered to write a big review but first impression is that it was superb. By the end you’re every bit as battered as its titular character. I may cool on it upon further viewings but the dizzying, operatic ferocity of it all is hard to deny. 

This would have benefited from a different structure in the first part, i.e. cut out about half an hour of introductions to unimportant characters and just get into it. Really liked 2nd and 3rd acts, though it was weird seeing a villain reveal twist in a movie like this.

It is truly Nolan's magnum opus. I loved everything about it. Maybe the first half an hour was a bit too slow, but it gets better with multiple viewings. I liked how he didn't put Op on a pedestal, really examined the character from all angles and portrayed all of his traits, his flaws as well. Incredible ensemble, everyone brought their A game. I loved how the film didn't end on the Trinity test, that was a huge moment and you thought that how can it go on much longer after that, but Nolan really brought all his craftsmanship on the home stretch, pulsating final act. "Amateurs chase the sun and get burned. Power stays in the shadows." line was delivered masterfully by RDJ and I adored the nod to JFK. We are so fortunate that we are witnessing the era of 70mm IMAX mastered by Nolan. The highest quality film (from a technical standpoint) ever made. I suppose most of you have seen it in that format, but in case you haven't, go watch this in 70mm IMAX, no matter how far you have to go or how long you have to wait to grab tickets.