Oppenheimer (2023)  

55 members have voted

1. 1. What'd You Think?

This movie has some amazing, breathtaking,exhilarating scenes that are top Nolan at its finest, maybe top cinema. But they are to few and far between. The overall movie feels to much as a disjointed documentary then a movie. I felt this mostly in the first hour of the movie. The movie could have used a few more fleshed out characters beside RDJ and Cillian Murphy. I like the last 2 hours quite a bit more and this is by no means a bad movie, but man if it had matched the hights this movie showed this could have been the movie of the last 2 decades.

B+

• Like 1

One of the greatest movies every made 

one of the greatest ending to a movie ever made

best Nolan movie 

best biopic ever 

that ending was like a ton of bricks falling on me .

and ending everyone will remember for a long time 

A++++++

• Like 3

Immediate post screening thoughts.

For a film this long, it completely flies (especially towards the end). The cast is insanely stacked. Despite occasionally feeling like stunt casting (as in - surprise! Here's Casey Affleck/Gary Oldman/Rami Malek), everyone works. Might go down as one of the great ensemble casts of all time. Murphy and RDJ are expectedly incredible - it's a joy to see RDJ having such a meaty role to sink his teeth into. Matt Damon is a low key MVP - brings some much levity to the proceedings.

The script and story structure is his best since The Prestige. It all builds beautifully towards the final 10 minutes. It's the absolute opposite of most paint-by-numbers biopics.

I wasn't quite as enamored with the Trinity Test scene as some of the reviews I've read - it felt a little 'small' and underwhelming after all yhe build up. A rare occasion where a bit of CGI might have helped. Definitely not a patch on the Twin Peaks version of the same test.

Ultimately though, it's a marvel. A 3 hour drama told with an insanely huge cast via multiple cross cutting perspectives and timelines should feel like an effort, and it really doesn't. It's Nolan at his most Nolan-y but with a layer of poetic surrealism that feels entirely new. 

It genuinely deserves it's inevitable success (and Nolan absolutely needs that Best Director Oscar now)

• Like 8

Incredible movie, very Nolan. The sound is almost overwhelming, the music builds and holds the tension very well. I'm not the person to judge acting but for me it all worked, Cillian Murphy is great, always has been. 

One thing I missed is Rami Malek was in there for like a minute before be was giving apparently very credible, convincing testimony that completely took down Strauss, and I didn't see why his character asserting everything should be the last word on the subject. 

It's almost a horror movie-like ending,  it was a success, they did it,  but that win is inextricable from the rest of history up to today and the permanent risk that is with us every day now. 

• Like 2

The structure and pace is really well handled. Intercutting 4 timelines for 3 hours straight should be impossible, I am amazed that it works so well.

The 3 hours is a non issue. It did not drag at all.

Cillian Murphy is amazing.

The sound design is phenomenal. The stamping feet gets inside your head. In the very final scene, when the world is blown up, the entire imax auditorium was shaking. Really visceral experience. which I wasn't expecting given it's a drama.

My gripes:

- I wish Strauss and Kitty were better developed.

- Dead wife being the motivator behind the protagonist's emotional arc... made me sigh. I get that it's obviously a true story, but still. Nolan gonna Nolan.

• Like 1

Always one for big swings, Christopher Nolan tackles one of his most ambitious undertakings to date in Oppenheimer, a three-hour adaptation of a nonfiction book released in the heart of the summer blockbuster season. The result is a triumph that resides right alongside the other crown jewels in Nolan’s filmography. Though the film is considerably more dialogue-driven than many of Nolan’s past efforts (and than the slickly cut trailers might lead one to believe), it is riveting throughout its entire running time. 

On a storytelling level, it is an engrossing biopic whose criss-crossing through different timelines heightens the urgency of the proceedings and successfully primes viewers to see the longer-term consequences that will spring from Oppenheimer’s involvement in developing the atomic bomb. The nonlinear approach across the first two hours helps to highlight the ramifications of the main storyline it focuses on in the development of the bomb, all leading up to a third hour where the threads tie together in compelling fashion that explores both the unraveling and resetting of Oppenheimer’s legacy. It’s also quite intriguing to see Nolan, a director who clearly seems to think of himself as an auteur and often demonstrates precise control over his films, explore another kind-of auteur and how he responds to his “art” being taken out of his control and used to horrifying ends. There’s a constant sense that Nolan is fascinated with Oppenheimer’s process (and makes that fascination vivid for viewers), but also sympathizes with the man’s horror over what that process wrought and how it has cast him as a vilified figure in numerous arenas afterward. 

Beyond the narrative, which could read like a standard biopic in other hands, Nolan heightens the film’s effectiveness through numerous choices that pay off beautifully. Part of why this film feels so riveting is because of the constant (yet meticulously controlled) camera movement from Hoyte Van Hoytema and dynamic musical score from Ludwig Goransson, both of which lend extra flourishes of excitement that illustrate how virtually every moment felt essential to the characters in the film. Van Hoytema’s cinematography is as striking as it has ever been (even with his IMAX footage cropped to a 2.20:1 ratio), and the occasional segues into visualizations of atomic reactions are stunning. Though the real showstopper is, unsurprisingly, the film’s recreation of the Trinity test, the rest of the proceedings have no shortage of flair. 

As is also customary in a Nolan film, the acting is superb. Cillian Murphy has long seemed like an actor who has not gotten his proper due, and his plum role as Oppenheimer helps to rectify this oversight. Murphy is dialed in every step of the way and delivers a performance that simmers with quiet intensity and ultimately gives way to a haunted edge. His steady hand and successful channeling of his character’s many enigmatic qualities and contradictions makes for an enthralling performance. The cast around Murphy is so stacked that it practically requires the viewer to stick around through the credits (or scan IMDB afterward) to check out who they caught and who they missed. In one of his first big post-MCU performances, Robert Downey, Jr. plays the role of shady bureaucrat Lewis Strauss with plenty of aplomb and venom. There’s also memorable work from Matt Damon, Kenneth Branagh, Jason Clarke, David Krumholtz, and even Dane DeHaan in roles of varying size – plus other stellar contributions from the sea of other men in the cast. Though I suppose the film does little to address the tendency for women to have little presence in Nolan’s films, there is also stirring, effective work from Emily Blunt and Florence Pugh, both of whom elevate their respective roles with stinging emotional depth that shows the more personal consequences of Oppenheimer’s obsessions. 

In considering the film’s place in Christopher Nolan’s full oeuvre, it’s hard to place where exactly Oppenheimer ranks, but I’m very tempted to slot it at least near the very top. Even amid switching studios after a highly entertaining but somewhat less intellectually fulfilling film in Tenet and releasing into a theatrical marketplace that seems more risk-averse than before in the shadows of streaming and the pandemic, Nolan delivers a fiercely compelling gem that makes one of the grandest possible cases for theatrical viewing and leaves plenty of meat for viewers to gnaw on after the credits begin to roll. It’s utterly masterful work from a master filmmaker.

A

• Like 4

Been thinking about this one ever since it ended. It's a tremendous work; a film of such dense scale and theme that it's likely going to take several days and viewings to truly parse it all out. Out of the gate though, Nolan really outdid himself directing wise here, with pitch-perfect precise editing and incredible sound work that gets you into the headspace of Oppenheimer himself. I like how the movie seems to be almost about control and whether or not we can truly control everything around us. Oppenheimer has a need to control the atom and science itself, Strauss wants to control the Congress and weapons of mass destructions, even characters like Grove want to control Oppenheimer. It's a complicated film with a complicated lead subject and I think that's ultimately it's strength and why so many people are responding to it; it never gives an easy answer, hell I don't think it has answers. Instead it presents the life of an enigmatic man as is and asks a simple question - did we start the fire?

One of my favourites of the year.

• Like 2

Christopher Nolan's Oppenheimer stands as the director's latest achievement, boasting an exceptional performance by Cilian Murphy. It emerges as a strong contender for Best Picture, likely garnering numerous nominations. Nolan's masterful direction, characterized by his signature time jumps, provides an intimate glimpse into the life of the man responsible for developing the Atomic Bomb. The portrayal highlights both his strengths and weaknesses, while the supporting cast delivers excellent performances.

However, some aspects warrant criticism. Once again, Nolan's dialogue suffers from clarity issues, requiring a concerted effort to catch what characters are saying due to poor sound mixing and background music. Additionally, I wanted more spectacular visuals and effects of the bomb, to include footage of the bomb detonations in Hiroshima and Nagasaki. I understand why they didn't want that to be the focus. Still, I wanted more pizzaz. The preference for more flair and fewer Congressional hearings and depositions leads me to slightly lower my grade from an A to an A-.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

Robert Downey, Jr. plays the role of shady bureaucrat Lewis Strauss

Is this all Strauss is portrayed as?  I read a review that said he was a mediocre man jealous of a brilliant one.  But Strauss was far from mediocre. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lewis_Strauss

Strauss was very flawed, like Oppenheimer himself. Self made (and taught) millionaire financeer. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

Is this all Strauss is portrayed as?  I read a review that said he was a mediocre man jealous of a brilliant one.  But Strauss was far from mediocre. 

He is portrayed as a self-made man of considerable influence who made a fateful decision out of spite -- one that would cost him his legacy. Which seems more or less accurate (obv a bit of added drama thrown in). It is quite an embarrassment to be rejected by the Senate in those days, ESPECIALLY in a roll call vote.

Edit: And now you got me reading this, which is a fascinating piece of history: https://www.senate.gov/about/powers-procedures/nominations/strauss-nomination-rejected.htm and a nice companion to the film. Maybe they can make a sequel about Strauss where Oppenheimer is only in part of it 😂

Edited by Derpity
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The movie play like a JFK + Good Night, and Good luck mash up.

The first 2 hours was a pure gold but step-down a little in the last hour (especially last 40min). 

Two point I have to point out.

1. R-rated was not really necessary.

2. IMAX was not really necessary.  

• Like 1

The more I think about the movie the less I like it. I have to admit that maybe I duped myself, but I thought going into it that more time would be spent on the actual making of the bomb. I tried to like it but it’s plodding along for a large portion of the screen time, and the last hour or so verges on dull boredom. Nolan really wasn’t the right choice to make this movie, it needed less of a technician and more of a sharp writer (which he isn’t).

5/10

it really makes me emotional realizing something I never noticed before. Why didn't Oppenheimer fight back like Kitty wanted him to and Oppenheimer in the movie responds "I have my reasons". and remembering the final scene, it made me realize its because he viewed his own suffering as miniscule compared to the chain reaction his creation would unleash on the world

Also in the Jean Tatlock suicide scene there is a 1/2 a second shot of a black glove coming out of the water which hints to the theory of Pash dealing with Tatlock as an assassination for being a communist

Edited by hasanahmad
  • Like 4

10 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

Both RDJ and Nolan have called Strauss a complicated guy, and I think that lines up with how they portrayed him in the movie. He does some shady stuff, but I also think he (and others) had legit reasons to be very concerned about Oppenheimer's background. Oppenheimer himself was a complicated guy. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Both RDJ and Nolan have called Strauss a complicated guy, and I think that lines up with how they portrayed him in the movie. He does some shady stuff, but I also think he (and others) had legit reasons to be very concerned about Oppenheimer's background. Oppenheimer himself was a complicated guy. 

Oppenheimer had flawed ambitions, Strauss had a flawed ego 

It remains a simple fact that someone was going to discovering the technology sooner or later and the best hands were always going to be Americans. I feel like this is a simple 'end of the day' reality. Not saying Hiroshima or Nagasaki were or were not justified, it is just a good thing for all of humanity that USA was in front of it as opposed to playing catch up to someone else. Not every country has leadership that eventually answers to the general public one way or another.

I get the ending but its kinda missing the forrest for the trees with the broader statement that gets implied. I totally get Oppenheimer being haunted by what's happened but its basic reality. 

Edited by excel1
  • Haha 1