upriser7

Weekday numbers July 24-27

52 minutes ago, baumer said:

To this day, I still don't know how it grossed 357 million in one weekend. That number is just stupid.

That weekend was WILD.  I remember the weekend thread and the numbers just kept going up and up and up and up and people were losing their minds. My Dallas area theaters were showing EG around the clock and they were selling out 3AM shows. It was really, really an amazing weekend for Marvel fans and people who enjoy box office in general.

• Like 4

Endgame was probably on a record number of screens as well. Over 4,600 theaters, I’d imagine at least 20,000 screens domestically. It’s $357m number isn’t as impossible to imagine when you factor in the screen count. TDK was on like 9,000 or so and Spider-Man 3 around 10-11,000. Add on the development of premium screens, IMAX, and 3D.

12 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Can someone please explain to me why nobody is reporting that Barbie crossed 400M WW on Monday. It should have been around 415M. Oppie crossing 200M WW was reported but not this. :angry:

they can't make the same article everyday, so they're waiting for the 500M it will reach just on wednesday 😇

Edited by vale9001

OT: So, streaming is still in trouble...after finishing up my free TMobile year of AppleTV in March, I just got another 6 months free today from TMobile in a TMobile Tuesday deal...I guess I'll redeem it if only for Charlie Brown Christmas in December, and maybe I'll find another movie or two to watch (I watched so little of this service compared to my others, so maybe that's why they wanted me to try again, b/c not every TMobile user got the deal)...

13 minutes ago, upriser7 said:

What exactly were Disney thinking by allowing 160M budget to Haunted Mansion ? Feel like this has chance to become part of top3 bombs of year alongside Flash, Indy

They don’t know how to make these things cheap. It’s why every biggest money loser is a list of Disney films… 

17 minutes ago, Austin said:

Would any of you guys recommend Succession? I've heard it has its own brand of palatability and wanted to know if it's worth getting invested into.

Just finished Severance and omg that finale was probably one of the best episodes of television I've seen since Ozymanidas in Breaking Bad. Perfectly paced and edited with peak tension built up throughout the episode.

Succession is a top 5 TV drama.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Can someone please explain to me why nobody is reporting that Barbie crossed 400M WW on Monday. It should have been around 415M. Oppie crossing 200M WW was reported but not this. :angry:

Patriarchy.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

22 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

At this point, Barbie movie overcoming 400M WW was formality. They will wait until Barbie reaches 500M.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, upriser7 said:

What exactly were Disney thinking by allowing 160M budget to Haunted Mansion ? Feel like this has chance to become part of top3 bombs of year alongside Flash, Indy

It’s a little bit like Indy. The movie has been in development hell since like 2010. I remember being excited about the announcement back then because GdT was supposed to write and direct. But he eventually dropped out and then there had to be a new script and new director and yadda yadda yadda all the usual stuff. And even then it was supposed to be out three years ago. So bottom line is the budget is bloated because it’s covering 13 years of spending.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

OT: So, streaming is still in trouble...after finishing up my free TMobile year of AppleTV in March, I just got another 6 months free today from TMobile in a TMobile Tuesday deal...I guess I'll redeem it if only for Charlie Brown Christmas in December, and maybe I'll find another movie or two to watch (I watched so little of this service compared to my others, so maybe that's why they wanted me to try again, b/c not every TMobile user got the deal)...

Lol. I got six months free when I bought some other piece of tech and I forgot to cancel so they got me for a month, but then today I got three months free from O2 here in the UK.

Definitely the one service I use the least, but they have some great shows. Slow Horses is brilliant, For All Mankind is top tier alternative history drama, Foundation is absolutely gorgeous sci-fi. Prehistoric Planet is some really great Attenborough, and some of the movies aren't too bad. Tetris was quite fun. I fucking hated Ted Lasso, though.

The issue Apple has is they have very low volume of content. Most of the other ones have so much back catalogue as well as a "see what sticks" approach so that they're sort of always there in your mind, in a "I'll find SOMETHING to watch" way. With Apple, it feels as if it's appointment TV, for those few shows each year, and nothing to fill the void in-between. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JustWatching said:

It’s a little bit like Indy. The movie has been in development hell since like 2010. I remember being excited about the announcement back then because GdT was supposed to write and direct. But he eventually dropped out and then there had to be a new script and new director and yadda yadda yadda all the usual stuff. And even then it was supposed to be out three years ago. So bottom line is the budget is bloated because it’s covering 13 years of spending.

I'm still upset we didn't get GdT's Hobbit

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

Lol. I got six months free when I bought some other piece of tech and I forgot to cancel so they got me for a month, but then today I got three months free from O2 here in the UK.

Definitely the one service I use the least, but they have some great shows. Slow Horses is brilliant, For All Mankind is top tier alternative history drama, Foundation is absolutely gorgeous sci-fi. Prehistoric Planet is some really great Attenborough, and some of the movies aren't too bad. Tetris was quite fun. I fucking hated Ted Lasso, though.

The issue Apple has is they have very low volume of content. Most of the other ones have so much back catalogue as well as a "see what sticks" approach so that they're sort of always there in your mind, in a "I'll find SOMETHING to watch" way. With Apple, it feels as if it's appointment TV, for those few shows each year, and nothing to fill the void in-between. 

I did like Tetris - that was one of the few things I watched:)...

45 minutes ago, Austin said:

Would any of you guys recommend Succession? I've heard it has its own brand of palatability and wanted to know if it's worth getting invested into.

Just finished Severance and omg that finale was probably one of the best episodes of television I've seen since Ozymanidas in Breaking Bad. Perfectly paced and edited with peak tension built up throughout the episode.

I highly, highly recommend Succession. It works on all levels - top tier television.

Side note: I also love Severance, and appreciate that incredible finale. I eagerly await a season 2. 

Peace,

Mike

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

ted-lasso-yikes-nly7jptcz7jbexfi.gif

Ted Lasso is life.

18 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

May I ask why you disliked Ted Lasso?

1 hour ago, TwoMisfits said:

To try to keep it above MI7 final DOM??

Plus, if they want Haunted Mansion to try to get kids/families, that won't help with Elemental still there...

If they wanted the Elemental children's audience they would have gone for a PG rating. Haunted Mansion isn't really direct competition imo. 

4 minutes ago, Dragoncaine said:

I'm not OP, but s3 of Ted Lasso was bootycheeks. Flanderization of every single character

Haven't gotten around to S3 yet, but the first two seasons were heartwarming though!

• Like 1