upriser7

Weekday numbers July 24-27

1 hour ago, IronJimbo & Sheldon's Son said:

Okay I'm well on board the $100m+ second weekend for Barbie now. I don't see how it misses the 4.8x Thursday IM it needs to get there when basically every big July release in the past managed to do that or better including children's animated movies and heavily frontloaded genres like CBMs. Unless the trackers have data showing a big dropoff in sales this is happening IMO. 

isnt it losing all plfs to haunted mansion?? no imax no dolby cheap tickets won't it affect the gross heavily compared to past july releases like dark knight?

21 hours ago, Redolent said:

In my local UK cinemas, Barbie seems busier during these last weekdays than it will be during the upcoming weekend. Similar with Oppenheimer but to a lesser extent.

How is it looking now?

8 hours ago, Mango said:

Damn, MI7 is going to end up at under 2000 theaters by its 5th weekend unless it stabilizes like crazy this weekend.

Still not too early to change the title of the next one to MI8

Didn’t make a difference to the rest of the world that it had part one in the title. So didn’t to Americans either. 
Just bad scheduling. 

24 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Didn’t make a difference to the rest of the world that it had part one in the title. So didn’t to Americans either. 
Just bad scheduling. 

I don't think it's scheduling. It's already low box office from first week. The run is more like the flash but better legs. At least in north America.

27 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Just bad scheduling. 

The theater count in 3rd weekend is even lower than TROTB

1 hour ago, lalalandism said:

isnt it losing all plfs to haunted mansion?? no imax no dolby cheap tickets won't it affect the gross heavily compared to past july releases like dark knight?

for what i red year it's losing plfs only on thursday, not in the weekend. 

3 hours ago, IronJimbo & Sheldon's Son said:

Okay I'm well on board the $100m+ second weekend for Barbie now. I don't see how it misses the 4.8x Thursday IM it needs to get there when basically every big July release in the past managed to do that or better including children's animated movies and heavily frontloaded genres like CBMs. Unless the trackers have data showing a big dropoff in sales this is happening IMO. 

TDK($16.4M/$75.1M)=4.58x

5 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Cult classic? A Billion dollar grosser will be a cult classic?

Cult doesn't mean only unknown or niche movie, but something particular, different or very specifical to a target etc. 

Very successfull movie can be cult too.

Edited by vale9001
  • Like 1

Assuming the Thursday is at about $40M total box office across all films, July 2023 is going into the final weekend $18M behind the total July 2022 gross. July 2022 is by far the best month post pandemic.

Not only that, if the weekend holds are good, and total gross can be about $220M this weekend, July 2023 will be the highest grossing month dating back to 2016-17 or so.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Well, there are one or more certain billion dollar-grossing movies amongs the $1B+ list that became cult classics either instantly or as the years would pass. So yes, there can be some of the highest grossing films of all time, that are considered cult-classics. Look at Titanic for example. 👩🏻‍💼💁🏻‍♀️

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, grim22 said:

I know a few people have taken this up already, but just to put a concrete example out there: Doctor Who.

Doctor Who (at least in the UK) is both primetime Saturday evening mass appeal entertainment AND an undisputed cult show. And always has been and has sustained that dichotomy for 60 years now.

I suspect (I'm not in the fandom) Next Generation is pretty similar. 

Could even put in the argument for The Matrix.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

Well, there are one or more certain billion dollar-grossing movies amongs the $1B+ list that became cult classics either instantly or as the years would pass. So yes, there can be some of the highest grossing films of all time, that are considered cult-classics. Look at Titanic for example. 👩🏻‍💼💁🏻‍♀️

Back to the future was an instant smash at the box office (with inflations Is at like 500m domestic i Guess) and it's considered One of the cult movie by definition for Its big influence in all the culture, not only on cinema. 

1 hour ago, vafrow said:

Assuming the Thursday is at about $40M total box office across all films, July 2023 is going into the final weekend $18M behind the total July 2022 gross. July 2022 is by far the best month post pandemic.

Not only that, if the weekend holds are good, and total gross can be about $220M this weekend, July 2023 will be the highest grossing month dating back to 2016-17 or so.

July has been very good, on track to finish more than 5% ahead of the 5-year pre-pandemic average, only the third month to reach 90% of before times level (April +1.6%, thanks to Mario, as well as last July at just -9.4%)

April through July has been solid, only -7% from 5YPPA

But for the calendar year, still down 17% from 5YPPA overall, and the upcoming releases through at least October are weak, with some of the Nov & Dec slated titles in danger of moving because of strikes. This week is almost certainly the peak (as it was last July)

We're going on over a year now (well, really 2) of the rolling 52-week average gross hovering in the $140-$150M range, or $7.3-$8.0 Billion annually, still way below the $11B+ pre-pandemic. That just seems to be the water level for now, with some room to improve if we can ever get a 12 month period with a robust/full release calendar, though looking now probably not until at least sometime in 2025 after strike delays. The highs are still there, but the lows are lower and more prolonged

Edited by M37
  • Like 2