Shawn Robbins

The Box Office Buzz, Tracking, and Pre-Sale Thread

NYC Local Regal (Day 1)

Joker 2:  13/1962

So far not so good.

I didn't track Joker out this far. I only started the Monday the week before it opened. 

Comps (-11)

Joker: 104/2766

Venom 2: 67/2766

Shang-Chi: 78/1402

So the first 11 days out it had  higher pre-sales of comparable CBM

By it's last week was even more front loaded in terms of pre-sales

Comps (-4)

Joker: 328/3536 (Previews: #13.3m)

Venom 2: 131/2766  ($11.6m)

Black Widow:  239/3584 ($13.2m)

Shang-Chi: 190/1402  ($8.8m) (over indexed here by 35%)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

do you really believe some post around about reviews can kill that kinda of hype of a movie in this "tragic" way? so why didn't happen with Deadpool and wolverine and so many other movies?

And we're really not even talking about disastrous reviews. It's not like a 20% on RT, right now it's a 60% on RT, so i would call average reviews, not bad reviews.

It's not just about the number, it's about the vibes. No one really seems that passionate about it positively or negatively save for Pete Hammond. Even angry hatred can draw morbid curiosity under the right circumstances, but indifference has been shown to be a killer for many a film this year already.

Honestly we kinda saw this with the two most unfavorable comparisons drawn up here in The Flash and Marvels. Yes, they both had other factors at play, but if there's no one who's really willing to get behind a movie in a real enthusiastic way, it doesn't compel a lot people to book tickets.

Edited by AniNate

9 hours ago, AniNate said:

I can't believe presales would be this weak if the Venice buzz were more along the lines of "Better than the first! Gaga gives an all out Oscar caliber performance!" CBM fans are the most online of any and they know full well what the reviews are saying even if they don't like it. It has definitely muted the interest.

Those review made the movie sound boring with a half-arsed musical aspect thrown in. Incredible stuff.

• Like 7

10 hours ago, emoviefan said:

I mean after Indy and Elemental at Cannes last year and Horizon this year and now Joker in Venice maybe studios should make dam sure these movies are going to be really well received before they take the chance and put these movies in a hole they have to dig out of. Although Joker may just be a no thank you we were good after one of these movies. It happens.

In fairness, I think the first Joker also was a Venice premiere

56 minutes ago, TheFlatLannister said:

Nothing to see here. Gaga walkups will save it This Is Fine GIF

oh trust gaga fans are not happy about this movie for the most part and i say this as a gaga stan myself. mainly cause of the apparently big cuts regarding her character and screen time after having her promote the movie this whole time and market her as a co-lead for the most part (trailers and posters suggest so) 

still we will be supporting her ofc and are happy her performance is being highlighted but most of us already lost some faith in the movie anyway

I don't think taking Joker to Venice was a bad idea since those international critics liked the first way more than american critics did. They were the group of people that were supposed to be kindest towards this movie. So these mixed reviews might actually be sugarcoating how bad the reception will end up being, we'll have to see.

Edited by judestar619
  • Like 3

Longlegs and Trap remain the only non-sequel horror/thrillers this year to break above the $12M range for opening weekend, so I'm a little skeptical of SNE being able to break out above that, although reviews might help. 

52 minutes ago, JonathanMB said:

Longlegs and Trap remain the only non-sequel horror/thrillers this year to break above the $12M range for opening weekend, so I'm a little skeptical of SNE being able to break out above that, although reviews might help. 

SNE is a remake

• Like 1

I did a quick peak at Speak No Evil for my area, and its really weak.

Only 7 tickets sold for Thursday across the 4 of 5 theatres in my radius. I don't tend to track much on smaller horror films, but it's well behind totals of Trap. It's behind where Crow was. Both of those had schools closed though, and we're now back to normal schedules.

It's better than AfrAId at T-1. 

I don't think we've got great data on this one. As much as I'd love a break out horror right now, I think expectations should be pretty low.

• Astonished 1

On 9/8/2024 at 7:17 PM, Ryan C said:

Speak No Evil

T-4

Thursday: 401 Seats Sold (60.4% Increase From Last Time) 

(From 13 Theaters)

Taken as of 7:10PM Eastern Time

IMPORTANT NOTES: This is actually pretty encouraging. Unless something catastrophic happens, an opening in the double digits should be pretty likely. Now it's up to word-of-mouth and how well this continues to do in the next couple of days to see if it can possibly do better than what a lot of people are expecting. 

I still don't think this will be a horror breakout on the levels of something like M3GAN or The Black Phone, but then again, I couldn't even predict that the latter would be as successful as it was two years ago. Clearly we won't know where this is headed until at least Thursday. 

P.S. One of my theaters is showing this movie in PRIME and about a quarter of the seats I've got sold out right now are coming from those PRIME screenings. Though Beetlejuice Beetlejuice should retain the majority of the PLFs in its second weekend, this one getting any (and selling this well) is a good sign. 

Speak No Evil

T-2

Thursday: 615 Seats Sold (53.3% Increase From Last Time)

(From 14 Theaters)

Taken as of 3:50PM Eastern Time

IMPORTANT NOTES: Not a whole lot to say here. A few more showtimes were added to some specific theaters, though it's sales are nothing to go crazy about right now. 

Still thinking for an opening over $10M and early reviews being good definitely will help, but unless things really pick up tomorrow and Thursday, a breakout probably isn't gonna happen. 

• Like 1