katnisscinnaplex

Weekend Thread 7/28-7/30 - Barbenheimer Week 2; Barbie 93M/Oppy 46.2M - Haunted Mansion & Talk to Me OW; Mansion 24.2M, Talk 10M

• Founder / Operator
7 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

Will GKIDS report SLAM DUNK #Friday Numbers?

Not sure, smaller distributors sometimes don't on Saturday. I remember when A24 wasn't even very regular about it.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, ChipDerby said:

Is a 40% or less drop not "stabilizing"?

If it is 40% or less but now it is looking more like near 50% drop after second weekend drop of 65% . And Thursday number was actually very encouraging at 38% drop week-to-week, suggest that the carry over effect should bring weekend drop closer to 35% drop, had more theater keep the movie around this week.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Shawn said:

Mission 2.975

Nobody could have foreseen "Barbenheimer." That's a once-in-a-decade zeitgeist smash that we all live for.

But what kills me is that even Stevie Wonder saw the impending failure of Indiana Jones & the Dial of Destiny coming and there was no reason in the world they couldn't have slotted Dead Reckoning the week after that instead.

"Barb" still decimates it two weeks later. But at least it gets those premium-format screens and certainly opens where we all expected it to have.

Obviously with the delay in filming thanks to the duel-strikes, no way Dead Reckoning Part Two isn't delayed to 2025.

Just be smart and slot it ahead of time to July 25, 2025 (two weeks after Superman: Legacy) and lockdown those PFSs.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CoolioD1 said:

Haunted Mansion flopping and simultaneously the news that Justin Simien got booted off the Lando show. Star Wars curse claims another victim.

Granted, he left Lando ages ago in order to focus on Haunted Mansion. Although personally I think he knew the movie would end his career after reading the script, so he left Lando beforehand to avoid the humiliation. Looking at Haunted Mansion's performance, I can't blame him.

One thing to note: holdovers outside of the two biggies should do better for the weekend than they post for Fri (% wise). Looking at daily numbers, appears theaters tried to catch up to Barbenheimer demand on Sat & Sun, dropping other shows, and that shouldn’t repeat 

It really is wild how overcrowded the studios made this summer while leaving not much else for the rest of the year in retrospect, especially now that the strike is looking to have a potential ripple effect. Hindsight is 20/20 but there are a number of tentpoles from this summer that weren't press tour dependent that could've easily fit in the fall, especially that first weekend of October that's now empty after Kraven was banished to next year (Killers of the Flower Moon opens limited that weekend but won't release wide until 10/20).

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, across the Jat verse said:

from presales 18.5-19 oppy. 32 barbie.

Your Friday morning projection was 97% accurate on Oppy. I find that amazing given how early it was. Well done! Hopefully Saturday is a pretty similar accuracy. This 18.5-19 number sounds great. 👍👍

8 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Granted, he left Lando ages ago in order to focus on Haunted Mansion. Although personally I think he knew the movie would end his career after reading the script, so he left Lando beforehand to avoid the humiliation. Looking at Haunted Mansion's performance, I can't blame him.

He didn't. He said he hadn't heard anything about Lando after handing in the scripts in interviews for Haunted Mansion. He was looking forward to returning on Lando so it was a surprise to him as well.

1 minute ago, kayumanggi said:

Dropped from Thursday's number. I hope ELEMENTAL holds better.

Spidey's showings got eviscerated (I think 70%ish drop)...that hurts, even if it is a weekend.  

Elemental's showings also got halved, so it will also hurt, although 50% is better than 70%...

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, across the Jat verse said:

from presales 18.5-19 oppy. 32 barbie.

At the start of the summer, those numbers for the Saturday of opening weekend, heck maybe even the entire opening weekend, would have led to champagne bottles being popped. For those to be the Saturday numbers from the second weekend is now simply obscene. 

Someone is going to earn an MBA by writing a paper on these films' marketing and promotion campaigns coupled with the Barbenheimer event. 

1 minute ago, TwoMisfits said:

Spidey's showings got eviscerated (I think 70%ish drop)...that hurts, even if it is a weekend.  

Elemental's showings also got halved, so it will also hurt, although 50% is better than 70%...

Maybe 800K - 900K for ELEMENTAL.

• Like 1