katnisscinnaplex

Weekend Thread 7/28-7/30 - Barbenheimer Week 2; Barbie 93M/Oppy 46.2M - Haunted Mansion & Talk to Me OW; Mansion 24.2M, Talk 10M

• Founder / Operator
19 minutes ago, filmlover said:

It really is wild how overcrowded the studios made this summer while leaving not much else for the rest of the year in retrospect, especially now that the strike is looking to have a potential ripple effect. Hindsight is 20/20 but there are a number of tentpoles from this summer that weren't press tour dependent that could've easily fit in the fall, especially that first weekend of October that's now empty after Kraven was banished to next year (Killers of the Flower Moon opens limited that weekend but won't release wide until 10/20).

Agreed. I've been soapboxing this issue since late last year when studios still had time to rearrange the summer and Q4 schedules. Disney (Marvels) was one of the few smart ones to avoid Barbenheimer before Barbenheimer was really a thing, though I'm sure that was not their only consideration.

I guess Spiderverse will just fall a bit short of 700m. I think a few weeks ago it looked like it will make it to 400m DOM but might struggle for 300m OS but the oppossite happened.

Still a huge hit I'm not complaining, but I hoped it could pass Fast X worldwide.

• Like 1

Just now, Shawn said:

Agreed. I've been soapboxing this issue since late last year when studios still time to rearrange the summer schedule. Disney was one of the few smart ones to avoid Barbenheimer before Barbenheimer was really a thing, though I'm sure that was not their only consideration.

Disney did still release Haunted Mansion this weekend. The Marvels would have likely been hurt pretty badly as well but like you said there were other considerations in moving that one.

11 hours ago, ZattMurdock said:

Ant-Man and the Wasp was released between Infinity War and Endgame. It made $622m WW, including China and Russia, with only $216m of that coming from Domestic. For all the people that keep saying that Captain Marvel and Black Panther were only popular thanks to Infinity War and Endgame, it seems like it didn’t help that film that much. 

Wasn’t Ant-Man and the Wasp released when they were riding much more momentum than now? So why this one didn’t make anywhere close to $1B WW too? Maybe because Ant-Man was always the smaller of the MCU franchises, perhaps?

Not sure if anyone else has already pointed this out, and I agree broadly with most of your points....

But the overlooked factor in most North American discussion of Ant-Man and the Wasp box office is the extent to which the worldwide released dates were affected by the World Cup. 

It was released in fits and starts everywhere, with no ongoing momentum, and in some markets well after a month post-USA which is unheard of otherwise from the MCU in places like Europe.

Basically they rightly identified attention on the film would be hit by the world cup but then massively overthought it.

It's 100% arguable that it wouldn't have done much more anyway but in terms of why AM&TW didn't have the momentum of every other film in the MCU in that 3 year corridor that would be it.

• Like 2

The movie is on course to earn $95 million or more in its sophomore outing, one of the best second weekends of all time at the North American box office and the best second weekend gross ever for Warner Bros., not adjusted for inflation. That includes a $29 million Friday.

The female-fueled Barbie, which continues to shatter any and all expectations, should finish Sunday with a domestic cume around $350 million. Detractors had predicted it would fade away quickly after a history-making debut over the July 21-23 weekend, but that isn’t the case. Barbie is looking at a scant decline less than 41 percent, a rare hold for a pic opening to such a big number.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/haunted-mansion-box-office-opening-haunted-mansion-1235547428/

2 minutes ago, Shawn said:

Agreed. I've been soapboxing this issue since late last year when studios still time to rearrange the summer schedule. Disney was one of the few smart ones to avoid Barbenheimer before Barbenheimer was really a thing, though I'm sure that was not their only consideration.

It's going to look even more foolish if the Sony moves yesterday were the beginning of a chain reaction where every studio starts to push major fall titles to next year (there's a solution to all of this that could be resolved today but you do you, AMPTP).

The Flash: one of the biggest bombs of 2023 but also one of its bigger cinematic trendsetters (since every movie in the foreseeable future will have to be promoted without the actors)? That movie didn't die for nothing after all!

• Like 1