katnisscinnaplex

Weekend Thread 7/28-7/30 - Barbenheimer Week 2; Barbie 93M/Oppy 46.2M - Haunted Mansion & Talk to Me OW; Mansion 24.2M, Talk 10M

1 hour ago, Celedhring said:

The LOTR trilogy is one of the most memorable moviegoing experiences in my lifetime. It hit me at the right age (in my early 20s), at a time where big budget fantasy/sci-fi movies were still uncommon, and it was the rare ocasion where the film's quality managed to match and exceed the hype.

I only worry that the CGI has - understandably - not aged well and it won't look supergreat on a PLF screen.

Some moments like the ghost army in ROTK look a bit jank but I rewatch it almost every year and everything else has held up really well. The Balrog in FOTR still looks outstanding 22 years later.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, IronJimbo & Sheldon's Son said:

Some moments like the ghost army in ROTK look a bit jank but I rewatch it almost every year and everything else has held up really well. The Balrog in FOTR still looks outstanding 22 years later.

I actually think the balrog has some of the worst aged shots in the trilogy, though it does look great in others

Either way LOTR really holds up, the trilogy really is a timeless masterpiece

1 hour ago, Celedhring said:

The LOTR trilogy is one of the most memorable moviegoing experiences in my lifetime. It hit me at the right age (in my early 20s), at a time where big budget fantasy/sci-fi movies were still uncommon, and it was the rare ocasion where the film's quality managed to match and exceed the hype.

I only worry that the CGI has - understandably - not aged well and it won't look supergreat on a PLF screen.

the LotR is an interesting one because upon release it was generally agreed that RotK was its (hur hur) crowning achievement  but many now consider it the worst, and I’ve no doubt it’s due to its excessive cgi and overindulgence in a type of spectacle that hasn’t aged well.

7 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

I actually think the balrog has some of the worst aged shots in the trilogy, though it does look great in others

Either way LOTR really holds up, the trilogy really is a timeless masterpiece

LOTR is definitely the best example of "do it right the first time". Every decision taken made the movie better, from book plotlines cut to the way everything was filmed to the casting not to mention the large amount of pre-production time before a single shot was filmed.

There's a reason a reboot has not yet been approached by anyone despite 20+ years, because it's really hard to do better than they did. 

Now The Hobbit on the other hand has a lot of room for improvement.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, grim22 said:

LOTR is definitely the best example of "do it right the first time". Every decision taken made the movie better, from book plotlines cut to the way everything was filmed to the casting not to mention the large amount of pre-production time before a single shot was filmed.

There's a reason a reboot has not yet been approached by anyone despite 20+ years, because it's really hard to do better than they did. 

No. No. No.  (Faramir, The Ents, Denethor, Theodor, etc) 

Still a great series of films and done immeasurably better than The Hobbit.

15 minutes ago, grim22 said:

I don't know about every decision (there's still stuff I wish was in the films, or done differently!)...but it's as close as one can get

In fact I'd argue LOTR not only set an impossible bar for any attempts at tackling the material again, but really for every other fantasy epic to come out since, or prior

Edited by JustLurking
  • Like 2

If Deadpool 3 doesn't make 2024 then don't see how Joker 2 will miss 400M. It's got all the makings of a breakout much bigger than the original film: More pent-up demand for an actually anticipated CBM, some of the memeable Barbenheimer dynamic with Gaga's Harley opposite Joaqer, and the inclusion of musical elements has made even the naysayers of the first film curious.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Just hit me that I completely forgot about that Miyazaki movie... How Do You Live... Which, I believe is now called The Boy and the Heron? How'd that do in Japan? When does it release stateside?

It had a strong debut but really poor holds afterwards, sub 10b finish looking rather likely for it at this point, probably the most disappointing run of the year as far as I'm concerned

Edited by JustLurking
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

It had a strong debut but really poor holds afterwards, sub 10b finish looking rather likely for it at this point, probably the most disappointing run of the year as far as I'm concerned

Hmm. So word of mouth not strong at all. Odd to change the title so late. Wonder what was behind that decision?