setna

Weekday numbers 7-31 to 8-3

47 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

Cinemark announced that the July 2023 domestic box office performance was the company’s highest-grossing month in company history, corroborating the company’s sentiment that consumer demand for theatrical moviegoing is as strong as ever.

Eh, stretching the truth here, $1390m in july 2011 inflates to 1900 today. 

They're also showing example of the increasing winner take all nature of the market, even nominally july 2016 was higher, but not for cinemark, the pandemic hurting the smaller local chains while the bigger ones are here on the other side to take a higher share of a smaller total.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Cap said:

Like what? Women like big budget blockbusters.  They might not rush out on opening weekend, but they do go to them.  Or watch them at home later.  

Unless, are you talking about Disney being fucking cowards for not making Steve kiss all of the boy Avengers? Cause, then, yeah. Totally agree there. Big Budget blockbusters absolutely need more cute boys kissing.

If women really prefer to wait to see their blockbusters at home, that's another good reason why big blockbusters won't try to appeal to women.

Regarding your question, romance or drama are genres that attract a really good amount of women, but these genres don't tend to require big budgets.

Also, there is also a lot of competition for these genres in TV and streaming, who could offer something similar (since these genres don't tend to require so big budgets).

Edited by Kon

8 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

I think rom com is kinda dead as genre cause if you make something to appeal over 40 women under 40 women will say it's something obsolete in terms of female representations, love relationships etc.. if you make something for gen z and millenials older women will say it's something too modern and they don't feel it.

The great thing of Barbie is its feminism is basic... but non in a bad way, i mean it's very universal and not complicated, so the oldest women can appreciate it, while young women and gen-z love the more subtle level of meta satire about sexism.

It's not easy to imagine a movie can be a female blockbuster with such appeal for women from 14 to 70.

As I said for example The seven husbands of Evelyn Hugo is a mega best seller book cult on tik tok books (so very young women) but it's also a story inspired by all the hollywood divas like Liz Taylor and Katherine Hepburn and set in the classic era of Hollywood. With a great cast and the right promo could have became a big summer release with multigenerational appeal.

Sadly it's going on Netflix. I hope the success of Barbie will impact in the future the market iand producers will try more women movies for the big screen .... I'm sure it will.

I'd love for a big screen adaptation of Evelyn Hugo, but if Barbie was too "woke" for certain people, Hugo would cause a meltdown once they learned about the twist for the character and her husbands :) Daisy Jones could've been a big sreen adaptation, too, similar to Almost Famous, although the Amazon adaptation was okay (the music should've been way better). Taylor Jenkins Reid's books have a lot of potential, although idk if Netflix will do a good job (see The Witcher, which was saved by Henry C in the lead role).  

• Like 1

Anecdotal, but here in Canada, Barbie is pulling much bigger numbers today than yesterday already, and the day is just heating up. Our largest chain Cineplex does discount Tuesdays. From what I am seeing, I expect an increase today unlike last week. 

This Monday the spillover effect from the weekend was somewhat muted, making the Tuesday discount night much larger in comparison. Even with the cheaper tickets, it will far outpace that $ wise. 

For example, the Toronto theatre that was the #1 theatre in Canada on Barbie’s opening weekend, this is todays prime time showings;

4:15 - 131 tickets sold 

5:10 - 218

6:10 - 188

6:40 - 419

7:15 - 502

8:10 - 260

9:00 - 176

9:40 - 292

10:05 - 219

…and this will only increase as the day goes on. That’s some weekend type numbers right there. I suspect the other Tuesday discount chains are probably performing similarly this week for Mon/Tue will less spill over from the weekend/rush to see it asap. The audience less is likely in less of a rush to see it right away, meaning long legs ahead!

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Kon said:

If women really prefer to wait to see their blockbusters at home, that's another good reason why big blockbusters won't try to appeal to women.

Big blockbusters feed women the same warrior woman type which is the main reason why their audience continues to skew male. Barbie is a blockbuster cause that dumb stereotype is MIA in the movie. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Cap said:

As one of the like four Token Women TM on this board, it's right to mock a $130M RomCom. That budget is insane. Particularly if you are spending like a third of it on A List talent, who mostly have already peaked. You're not going to get your money back, and therefore, not going to make anymore of the

It's not a romcom but Sony spent $120m on How Do You Do Know which ended up bombing. 

Just $70M WW or less left for Barbie to overtake the chinese comedy film ”Hi, Mom” to become the highest grossing pure live action comedy (in general) of all time worldwide. Might get there in a few days or so. 👩🏻‍💼😲

Any idea where the WW-total for Barbie might end at?

Edited by MrFanaticGuy34
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

Just $70M WW or less left for Barbie to overtake the chinese comedy film ”Hi, Mom” to become the highest grossing pure live action comedy (in general) of all time worldwide. Might get there in a few days or so. 👩🏻‍💼😲

Any idea where the WW-total might end that?

Over 1.5B wherever Over lands.

58 minutes ago, Eevin said:

couldn’t give less of a fuck about little mermaid as a film but i’m happy cuz there is NOTHING that vexes me more than when a movie is like $1-2m away from the nearest $100m and there’s just no push to get it there. i’m just a nerd that way i guess but like. gnomeo and juliet made $99.967 million domestic. the studio couldn’t have found $33,000 in their pocket somewhere to push it along? disgusting!! 

Look at the effort Warner Bros put in to get Yogi Bear over $100 million. It’s hilarious reading. 

it opened on December 17, 2010 and got over $100 million on April Fools Day (?) 2011. That was Day 106 of its run. 
It took the movie 15 days to get the last $1 million. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

625-650M domestic seems kinda locked, as 700M OS (without Japan). So 1.350B now seems around the floor, with chances to get more with Japan + even better numbers domestic or OS

Edited by vale9001

11 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Big blockbusters feed women the same warrior woman type which is the main reason why their audience continues to skew male. Barbie is a blockbuster cause that dumb stereotype is MIA in the movie. 

I feel the warrior woman trope was pretty popular between women in the past, because it was pretty uncommon. Now, it's become pretty common, so I think it has lost part of its original appeal (although it doesn't seem so unpopular either).

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

"Hi Mom" didn't release in North America. Hi Mom got released in 11 markets (Mainly South East Asia, Oceania and UK). Rough $870M WW in these 11 markets. 

I don't know whether to call it fair or not but with Strong North America, Barbie is breaking through it. Though Barbie won't make $870M OS like Hi Mom.

2 hours ago, Brainbug said:

50% weekly drop - 562M Great total still

45% weekly drop - 596M Even better, but annoyingly close to 600

40% weekly drop - 638M The best total, im all for it, go Barbie!

35% weekly drop - 692M Fuck

So TGM with a considerably lower OW DOM is looking pretty safe. Nice.

12 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

"Hi Mom" didn't release in North America. Hi Mom got released in 11 markets (Mainly South East Asia, Oceania and UK). Rough $870M WW in these 11 markets. 

I don't know whether to call it fair or not but with Strong North America, Barbie is breaking through it. Though Barbie won't make $870M OS like Hi Mom.

I guess we can speculate how much NA and other markets might have contributed if released there.