setna

Weekday numbers 7-31 to 8-3

3 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

Well yes It's the same for males. If we talk about sexes as masses there are Universal appealing themes. Then of course every single individual is different and not every single female Is the same as the next near to her, same for every man. 

I mean, you can generalize and say there’s certain genres/IPs that tend to skew more male/female and that’s true. Even then, it may not be the case though, depending on various other factors. I feel like saying we need “xyz” character archetype to appeal to this gender seems pretty dated for modern times. Wonder Woman and Captain Marvel are a perfect example here. Similar archetypal characters, one movie skewed more female, the other more male. The kind of character type matters less than the execution. WW being mostly a full fledged female creative effort likely gave it the edge to resonate with that audience better. 

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

Big blockbusters feed women the same warrior woman type which is the main reason why their audience continues to skew male. Barbie is a blockbuster cause that dumb stereotype is MIA in the movie. 

Umm... they started doing that only because Katniss and Wonder Woman were so big. And it's not like other kinds of women-driven films haven't been big like Frozen, Maleficent and BatB.

Your Captain Marvel hate is needlessly showing up again methinks. Just because she isn't your cup of tea doesn't mean she didn't make 1.1B+ at the box office.

Edited by Spidey Freak
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

Females gave to Titanic the most insane legs ever. Most people here were thinking for this like 2.5 legs. As positive as i was i believe to like 160M First weekend and 470M final. Something It will kinda touch at the end of the third weekend.

The movie Is everywhere, the soundtrack is exploding with multiple hits on charts (something in common with female drive movies in the past with insane legs, see again Titanic) so Who knows and above all why at this point legs shouldn't be just surprising as every single thing about this movie chart run has been until now? .

Titanic did everything right. Rose was modern enough to be relatable to modern women but not too modern to feel out of place in that era (a mistake many movies and shows set in the past or fantasy based on past eras make). She wore beautiful dresses, had a sizzling riomance with Leo and soundtrack was the most popular thing ever. Barbie is also relatable because she is trying to find herself, isn't the smartest person in the room, certianly isn't badass ass-kicker, but wears beautiful dresses that are easily copied in real life without feeling costumy, is woo'd by ripped Ken or two and soundtrack is to die for. Neither movie deals with super powers, saving the world from aliens, monsters and other shit that men love so much.

• Like 7

I know Titanic ended up being a huge hit but you could sort of understand 20th Century Fox and Paramount's nervousness because of the huge budget, I imagine Fox were having visions of a Cleopatra style flop hit where it was successful but lose money because the budget was too hugh. 

• Like 1

Just now, Jonwo said:

I know Titanic ended up being a huge hit but you could sort of understand 20th Century Fox and Paramount's nervousness because of the huge budget, I imagine Fox were having visions of a Cleopatra style flop hit where it was successful but lose money because the budget was too hugh. 

For sure. They didn't know that you never bet against Cameron. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Cheddar Please said:

@M37 is 19 or 24 days above 10m for Barbie still likely with these numbers? 

19 days absolutely possible, but beyond that gets a little tough. Wednesday number will tell the story 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

I mean, you can generalize and say there’s certain genres/IPs that tend to skew more male/female and that’s true. Even then, it may not be the case though, depending on various other factors. I feel like saying we need “xyz” character archetype to appeal to this gender seems pretty dated for modern times. Wonder Woman and Captain Marvel are a perfect example here. Similar archetypal characters, one movie skewed more female, the other more male. The kind of character type matters less than the execution. WW being mostly a full fledged female creative effort likely gave it the edge to resonate with that audience better. 

These movies were big cause they are big franchises already launched (and for the most part with an appeal to men). They're not original stories.

The conversation was about big movies and big blockbusters. When It's about masses It's undeniable imo you need some things to appeal to certain targets, whatever the division Is, It's not only about sex.

Then of course you can make a successfull movie with a female story there is different cause women as individuals can have different taste, but It's way hardly to make It big. 

I mean Barbie promotion was colour Pink, Dua lipa on the soundtrack, shirtless Ryan Gosling as probably Barbie love affair...

Titanic has a main character wants to be indipendent and strong but also a great love story at the core. 

Then of course there are females just not interested to Barbie or Titanic. No Need to Say that. OF course exceptions can exist, Barbie used a lot Barbie and Ken as a couple in the promo but in the movie they don't have a love story and the movie It's still appealing for other things. Sure. 

We’re going in for around 2 of Barbie with my Mom, Auntie, and Grandma. Just got to the theater. I love how everyone is still obeying the dress code. It’s just a flood of women in hot pink. 🥰

• Like 3

Barbie has a pretty solid reputation for entertainment. Even growing up, my friends who didn’t play with Barbies were fans of Barbie as Princess and the Pauper, or other Barbie home movies. I’ve also heard people rave about Life in the Dream House. Even the Toy Story franchise used Barbie and Ken very well. 

30 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Soundtracks used to regularly explode and would fuel each other, so you could say argue Barbie is performing like an old school movie just at a much bigger level. 

Soundtrack massively aided TOP GUN, THE BODYGUARD, TLK, TITANIC etc. the list is long. It was one of the reasons MI2 performed well too. Worst film in the franchise but had the most killer soundtrack. It's basically free marketing that extends the buzz around the film.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Dark Alfred said:

Soundtrack massively aided TOP GUN, THE BODYGUARD, TLK, TITANIC etc. the list is long. It was one of the reasons MI2 performed well too. Worst film in the franchise but had the most killer soundtrack. It's basically free marketing that extends the buzz around the film.

That fucking Bryan Adams song that's the only reason the 91 Robin Hood film is remembered 🤮

12 minutes ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

Barbie has a pretty solid reputation for entertainment. Even growing up, my friends who didn’t play with Barbies were fans of Barbie as Princess and the Pauper, or other Barbie home movies. I’ve also heard people rave about Life in the Dream House. Even the Toy Story franchise used Barbie and Ken very well. 

I think it’s understated the impact TS2 might have had for Barbie for my gen. That movie used the character for humor really well without outright making fun of Barbie, as was common at the time. I think it definitely helped popularity and relevance of the brand with kids my age. Girls probably got more interested again, boys less likely to make fun of the character as incessantly.  

• Like 1

Exactly. Today I saw a report on a National TV news in my country specifically on the soundtrack of the movie and how It charted 3 Songs in the UK top 5. So the service was about Barbie as not only a movie event but a true cultural event etc..

Basically new promo on the national TV news 2 weeks after the movie is out. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I think it’s understated the impact TS2 might have had for Barbie for my gen. That movie used the character for humor really well without outright making fun of Barbie, as was common at the time. I think it definitely helped popularity and relevance of the brand with kids my age. Girls probably got more interested again, boys less likely to make fun of the character as incessantly.  

Yep, Barbie and Ken were also memorable in Toy Story 3. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

Umm... they started doing that only because Katniss and Wonder Woman were so big. And it's not like other kinds of women-driven films haven't been big like Frozen, Maleficent and BatB.

Your Captain Marvel hate is needlessly showing up again methinks. Just because she isn't your cup of tea doesn't mean she didn't make 1.1B+ at the box office.

Gag them a bit.

I found Captain Marvel to be a snooze and whack, but I cannot deny the basic ass public ate it up! Look at those numbers.

Wonder Woman was robbed.

Captain Marvel is the definition of a film that is perfectly fine on a first viewing in theaters and is enjoyable enough, but you really forget the vast majority of the film by the next day.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Noctis said:

Captain Marvel is the definition of a film that is perfectly fine on a first viewing in theaters and is enjoyable enough, but you really forget the vast majority of the film by the next day.

That’s like 90% of Marvel movies for me. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1