setna

Weekday numbers 7-31 to 8-3

2 minutes ago, Kon said:

The point of that discussion was big budget blockbusters aimed to women.

People tend to mention romance genre, because it's a pretty popular genre for women.

I'm not sure if 90s crime thrillers were pretty popular between women. Someone know the male-female ratio for some of these movies?

For what i remember my mother was obsessed with these 90s thrillers with Julia Roberts, Sandra Bullock or Nicole Kidman as main characters.

If we think about It Ghost is a great example of a great love story mixed with a mistery-thriller part.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

I can't believe this is true. Gunn and Safran can't be*that* stupid.

This year has made it very clear that people hate the DCEU, and want nothing more to do with it.

Edited by FunkMiller
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Blade Runner said:

Talking about movies centered around the female audience and the first thing y'all say is romcoms, lol. Women want stories about womanhood that are relatable, expansive, and real. That's why Barbie is thriving like this (and to an extent the reason why Taylor Swift is the biggest artist of the century). 

Don't put women inside a box. 

I don't want to put them "inside a box" but I also want them to have a nice variety of things to choose from.  Over the years I've somehow managed to be able to get girlfriends and in that time I learned that sometimes they do in fact want 'girly' things.   

1 hour ago, TwoMisfits said:

Yeah, I don't want rom coms...

I'd rather get crime thrillers...someone mentioned John Grisham's movie string from the 90s - that would be awesome to do again with a new author's stuff (or some of his later works)...

You make it sounds like we can't have both?  Obviously, movies are in a very different place today as opposed to the 90's, but Roberts somehow managed to star in a Grisham adaptation AND rom coms.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

You make it sounds like we can't have both?  Obviously, movies are in a very different place today as opposed to the 90's, but Roberts somehow managed to star in a Grisham adaptation AND rom coms.  

Can we just go back to having all the variety we had in the theaters in the 90s? Comedies being blockbusters again is my dream

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Dragoncaine said:

Y'all are really getting mad over an article where the source is comicbook.com. I would definitely pump the brakes on any outrage before that shit is actually confirmed lmao

Gal Gadot herself said that, comicbook.com was just interviewing her.

1 hour ago, TwoMisfits said:

Yeah, I don't want rom coms...

I'd rather get crime thrillers...someone mentioned John Grisham's movie string from the 90s - that would be awesome to do again with a new author's stuff (or some of his later works)...

I would love to see more films like this as well. He wrote a follow-up to A Time to Kill called A Time for Mercy and I thought it was just as good as his original novel, A time to kill. We just need studios to be willing to take a few risks.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, IronJimbo & Sheldon's Son said:

Japan is angry at WB because the official Barbie twitter account engaged with and endorsed some Barbenheimer memes that in their eyes were disrespectful to the victims of Hiroshima/Nagasaki. They're not upset with Oppenheimer, and some aren't even upset at the Barbenheimer memes, but rather the unprofessionalism of the official Barbie twitter account engaging in it.

So they ARE upset by the memes 🤔

1 hour ago, FunkMiller said:

I can't believe this is true. Gunn and Safran can't be*that* stupid.

Safran's next DC movie is apparently so unreleasable that it's had 4 rounds of reshoots and like 40 test screenings, so I wouldn't put another Gal WW movie past him lol

13 hours ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Big unforced error by Disney with Indy and Elemental going to Cannes when reviews afterwards weren't as bad as the reception there suggested. 

Well, if Elemental's test audience reception correlated with its box office legs, I can see how Disney might've gotten the wrong idea with that movie

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, baumer said:

I would love to see more films like this as well. He wrote a follow-up to A Time to Kill called A Time for Mercy and I thought it was just as good as his original novel, A time to kill. We just need studios to be willing to take a few risks.

I picked that up a couple of years ago when I was commuting on the trains without knowing anything, great book right there. 

• Heart 1

I really like the first WW and love Gal Gadot as the character IN THAT MOVIE. I think it's partly because it's a period war movie, and a fish-out-of-water story, but it all really clicks for me. Her naivete really works there. Aside from that, she's been unremarkable and possibly getting worse each time I see her, with her pointless cameos in Flash and Shazam just the icing on the shit cake.

So, hard reset please.

8 minutes ago, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

Total hogwash.

Captain Marvel is a rare example of a blockbuster that looks light on the surface and is enjoyable at a popcorn level but actually serves multiple viewings. It's a rich exploration of character the likes of which we hadn't had in a supe movie.

It's an existential superhero film that we hadn't really got before. The tagline was 'Discover what makes her a hero' - everything played into that notion.

The character is referred to as Carol, Capt. Danvers, Blockbuster Girl, Vers, Captain Marvel, and a number/codename at different points. Nearly every scene is a duologue between the character and one other person, with each of those other people perceiving the protagonist completely different from each other and wanting something something completely different from her. 

What makes her a hero is her ability to manage those expectations, embrace each of those identities and balance them...and to realise that every one of those identities are still her, other than the one that had been imposed based on deception, and prevented her from any other perception of self.

The victory moment was nothing to do with her powers- which she already had from the start of the movie - but eschewing that one personality that had been imposed by deception, and refusing to acknowledge the rules it had imposed on her.

The whole film was built around 'what makes her a hero' and marketed and delivered entirely on that promise.

I'm sick of pretending it isn't one of the best MCU movies. Most takes on it are awful and betray shockingly bad media literacy.

Man, that sounds like a great movie. Think they played the wrong one in my cinema when I went to Captain Marvel.

• Like 3
  • Haha 20