Issac Newton

Weekend Thread | Estimates - Barbie $53M (hit a billion!), Meg2 $30M, Oppy $28.7, TMNT - $27.95M (5-day $43M), HauntedMansion $8.97M

7 minutes ago, The GOAT said:

Did it even make any splash Internationally? 

If anything, it fared even worse internationally with a $9.1m opening weekend in about half of the marketplace. Granted, with a staggered release pattern things may pick up slightly later on, but the start is abysmal for sure.

10 minutes ago, Marathon said:

If anything, it fared even worse internationally with a $9.1m opening weekend in about half of the marketplace. Granted, with a staggered release pattern things may pick up slightly later on, but the start is abysmal for sure.

then it's alright bomb/flop. Disney continues an ongoing losing streak unseen by any in a long time. 

They should immediately kick-start story-boarding for an animated Kingdom Hearts movie to stop the bleeding. God knows how long they'll be in the Red 

Edited by The GOAT
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Mojoguy said:

Barbie doesn't need PLF, the next 3 months has very light competation. 

The next 6 weeks should be fun to follow, with the expected Labor Day boost. 

I think theater counts are more important, I'd love to see Barbie stay above 3000 theaters come week 10 like Top Gun 2

The Lion King 2019 was nominated for best animated feature at the golden globes. It’s an animated movie.

”But Favreau said it’s live action” okay, if JJ Abrams said Rise of Skywalker was filmed on Mars would that make it true? If Colin Trevorrow said Jurassic World used real life dinosaurs, would that make it true? No, it wouldn’t.

Edited by Bob Train
  • Thanks 1

Delaying Dune would cost them a terrific exclusive IMAX window, would hurt the chances for legs generated by Oscar buzz, and would balloon the budget more as delays always do. It is also a known property that doesn't need the cast out there promoting as much as other movies. I just really don't think it is moving. One or both of Color Purple and Wonka will move. Aquaman seems like it is staying. Hunger Games and the two musicals are the big remaining questions to me. I could also see Napoleon moving, not that Joaquin is Mr. Charm on the press tour, more because apparently the movie wasn't done in time for the fall festivals and is still testing.

Edited by Cmasterclay
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Marathon said:

It's crazy that Haunted Mansion is such a massive flop but is consigned to a footnote due to mega-bombs like Indy and Flash.

Haunted mansion is no less a mega bomb than either of them, the actual reason it is a footnote is that no one cares about it online

Edited by JustLurking
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Marathon said:

It's crazy that Haunted Mansion is such a massive flop but is consigned to a footnote due to mega-bombs like Indy and Flash.

MI7 is the most interesting 200m bomb, cause it has another bomb waiting to happen, at best it can move to holiday release to break even

• Like 1
  • Knock It Off 1

30 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Delaying Dune would cost them a terrific exclusive IMAX window, would hurt the chances for legs generated by Oscar buzz, and would balloon the budget more as delays always do. It is also a known property that doesn't need the cast out there promoting as much as other movies. I just really don't think it is moving. One or both of Color Purple and Wonka will move. Aquaman seems like it is staying. Hunger Games and the two musicals are the big remaining questions to me. I could also see Napoleon moving, not that Joaquin is Mr. Charm on the press tour, more because apparently the movie wasn't done in time for the fall festivals and is still testing.

Wonka feels like the most likely to stay put over Christmas. Everything about that movie screams "we are going to consume everything in our path at Christmas". Movie is primed to be a giant everywhere

• Like 2

September is gonna be really interesting to watch since a lot of films there are gonna be star driven. How’s Equalizer 3 gonna do compared to the last two with the lack of Denzel promoting it, or Dumb Money not having any of its cast out there? The only movies that aren’t as reliant are Nun 2 (more on the franchise as a selling point) and The Creator (which is selling Gareth Edwards and it being a “theatrical event” more than the actors). Also have the start of festival season with Venice and Toronto, but with little red carpet activity this time.

1 hour ago, MovieMan89 said:

Avatar movies are also animation then. CGI striving for hyper realism should not count as “animated films”

Avatar movies have a bit of live-action in them and performance-capture characters. The Lion King is 100% CGI. Disney's Dinosaur (2001) is less animated film than TLK, 2019 (real backgrounds, flora) and it is an animated movie.

1 hour ago, MovieMan89 said:

Avatar movies are also animation then. CGI striving for hyper realism should not count as “animated films”

Actually there are way more practical effect or real components hidden in Avatar than most people realised. Just many are unable to differentiate it. 

Not to mention the whole performance capture that already deemed as "non-animation" by industry consensus.   

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

MI7 is the most interesting 200m bomb, cause it has another bomb waiting to happen, at best it can move to holiday release to break even

You know you were shit talking this movie before it even came out. It's really gotten old. 

4 hours ago, Austin said:

I just watched Mad Max: Fury Road and I am just blown away. There's now a new film at the top of my list of movies I wish I saw in theaters, right ahead of Interstellar.

However many times I saw it in the theaters it wasn’t enough 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Juby said:

Avatar movies have a bit of live-action in them and performance-capture characters. The Lion King is 100% CGI. Disney's Dinosaur (2001) is less animated film than TLK, 2019 (real backgrounds, flora) and it is an animated movie.

Ok but even Favreau admitted it doesn’t seem appropriate to call it “animated” given the style they were going for, which he cited outright as being a “BBC documentary”. It has far more in common with how it looks to watch a movie like Avatar than Toy Story 4, even if no live action and mo cap was used.

With Dinosaur, the characters at least look like animated characters so I have less qualms calling it animated, but still don’t love that classification for it either. It’s a hybrid like Roger Rabbit. 

Edited by MovieMan89