Cap

THE UNMARVELOUS WEEKEND THREAD | FEATURING MELTDOWNS, ARMCHAIR ANALYSIS, AND SEXISM

3 minutes ago, Willowra said:

Then explain me how things work. As per a survey around 10% people have subscribed to D+ only because of D+ mcu series and around 40% people have subscribed to D+ because of Marvel content. They will obviously lose subscribers & hence billions of dollars per year if they stop putting new MCU content to D+ & this is how you determine a MCU project worth.

I'm not sure what you mean by "stop putting Marvel content on Disney+"  they are Disney...   and furthermore,  Disney+ is losing money for Disney as well. Lol.  It's not a success story with or without Marvel. 

These are the reasons why their stock is in the tank. How much is it worth to Disney to have their stock drop from $200 per share to $85 per share?   It's literally billions in market cap wiped out over the last two years. 

13 minutes ago, TheFlatLannister said:

Yeah. I had it at $350M WW but I did not anticipate something like sub $200M 

Yeah, that's the thing - til we saw these presales, it was hard to comprehend how low this could go b/c you figured Flash was a good "absolute" minimum b/c Disney has a HUGE MCU base...well, I guess it's HAD b/c they did not show...

I remember thinking $65-$75M DOM before presales, and it's why I took so late to go in to FNAF (going in right before FNAF presale start) - I wasn't sure $65M for FNAF could beat Marvels (and I wasn't sure FNAF could go much higher than $65M)...

Well, FNAF got to $80M and Marvels might eke out $50M (but it's unlikely), so I was $15Mish off each way on a decision I thought was gonna be really close...and instead, is a landslide...

2 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

Deadline...

Marvels - $47-55M OW / $21-22M Total Friday

https://deadline.com/2023/11/box-office-the-marvels-1235599363/

FNAF will take 2nd - $2.6M Fri / $7.8M weekend

I was never a huge MCU fan(and even had plenty to say on its negative impact on the industry as a whole imo) but I could appreciate the genuine scale of excitement people had for those movies all the way up to Endgame, and yes they were objectively of much higher quality back then.  Admittedly the Endgame trailer was even pretty hype with Thanos' "you could not live with your failure, where that did that bring you..." yadayada for a jaded man like myself.

This movie and OW is just a sad little whimper in comparison.  MCU's fall is much more suprising than Star War's IMO because the quality of the MCU was pretty strong and consistent for a solid decade whereas SW fell off almost immediately after TFA.  I mean Endgame was only 4 years ago.  Lol what the hell happened?

Edited by Ozymandias
  • Like 8

5 hours ago, CoolioD1 said:

Loved The Killer. Gonna see if I can catch Dream Scenario sometime in the next couple days which I'm surprised is playing at my local. that looks like a lot of fun. great weekend for the movies!

Anatomy of a Fall. Got back from that. Great movie. Liked it!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

I was never a huge MCU fan(and even had plenty of say how its negative impact on the industry as a whole imo) but I could appreciate the genuine scale of excitement people had for those movies all the way up to Endgame, and yes they were objectively of much higher quality back then.  Admittedly the Endgame trailer was even pretty hype with Thanos' "you could not live with your failure, where that did that bring you..." yadayada for a jaded man like myself.

This movie and OW is just a sad little whimper in comparison.  MCU's fall is much more suprising than Star War's IMO because the quality of the MCU was pretty strong and consistent for a solid decade whereas SW fell off almost immediately after TFA.  I mean Endgame was only 4 years ago.  Lol what the hell happened?

Feige was done and worn out after Endgame, I am convinced. Whether he has forced himself to remain at the head out of ego, or Disney forced him out of fear no one can replace him is anyone’s guess.

2 hours ago, abracadabra1998 said:

This is late af and I am doing my homework catching up on this interesting thread but DAMN I aspire to be as good at anything as you are at data analysis 

As much as I appreciate that compliment ... it also comes from a lot of experience, seeing the flow and grouping of people translate into numbers, and only through countless iterations, later being able to read between the lines and translate partial numbers into people

My original presale tracking spreadsheet (which I haven't been able to locate 🙁) went as far back as the Twilight franchise and the tail end of Harry Potters (circa 2009)

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

It isn't like some people didn't see it coming but they were shut down with the usual sexist this sexist that labelling.

Sorry, but this is BS. I see plenty of criticisms thrown THE MARVELS' (and CAPTAIN MARVEL's) way that aren't labeled sexist. It's the ones that obsess negatively about the gender of the lead/leads that get hit with that label - because that's sexism.

I think GHOSTBUSTERS 2016 is a bad movie. I've said so a number of times in private and publicly on social media. I have never once been called sexist for it because none of my complaints have anything to do with the gender of the characters.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, Maggie said:

In retrospect it does make sense, but i still can't believe Barbie was such a hit when Ken was not really a love interest to barbie (which i argue women like to see a love story) and the movie itself was kinda hating on men. I think it's a miracle Barbie was such a success, but i guess once things got rolling with the huge OW, nothing could stop the hype machine

Barbie was not hating on men. It's funny how misunderstood it remains in that regard but that's not what it did or intended to do. She Hulk, however, absolutely 100% did. 

7 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

From the recommended posts that's still going on

well, that's how echo chamber is created that one day leads to a 250M costly bad decision. If fans cannot express their opinion how are studios going to know what doesn't work? If you can't say I wouldn't have seen CM had it not been promoted as crucial to understanding Avengers how are they going to know that perhaps the sequel isn't such a good idea cause the first movie didn't stand on its own? Or that the sequel would need a crossover with a really popular character(s) in order to succeed instead of 2 total unknowns? Etc. Oh well. They'll be fine, they have money from other stuff.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

I'm not sure what you mean by "stop putting Marvel content on Disney+"  they are Disney...   and furthermore,  Disney+ is losing money for Disney as well. Lol.  It's not a success story with or without Marvel. 

These are the reasons why their stock is in the tank. How much is it worth to Disney to have their stock drop from $200 per share to $85 per share?   It's literally billions in market cap wiped out over the last two years. 

Disney+ is not losing money because mcu content as MCU drives subscriptions, it is losing money because of some worthless content that nobody watches & because of higher marketing & other costs.

18 minutes ago, Willowra said:

I won't call MCU hardcore fans who rejected this movie as sexists but most of them I think are insecure of Captain Marvel as these same nerds don't have any problem with other female characters like Shuru, Black Widow & Wanda. Females not giving shit about The Marvels is because Marvel studios didn't give shit about the character after Endgame, they should've released it when there was some interest in this character.

Although Captain Marvel movie was promoted as the first MCU movie with a female lead, the audience was mostly male.

So, it doesn't seem Captain Marvel was especially popular between women at any point.

Edited by Kon

10 minutes ago, Maggie said:

I think the flop is more than about the quality of the movie. Plenty of bad movies make bank. As i've said, this is complete rejection.

this is a complete rejection because sales were abysmal well before reviews and reactions. There was no interest whatsoever but that interest is non-existent with women even though Marvel obviously thought this was their ultimate movie for women is actually hilarious. They should have known that since CM skewed male, adding 2 more women wasn't going to move the needle especially since women showed up in bigger audience share for Aquaman. 

• Like 6

this did look like dogcrap and Marvel is trending down hard. but wow what an epic fail. Marvel is turning into DC, yikes

Plot looks useless, film makes no sense, and won't draw in females. Hardcore nerds will wait till streaming because what does it matter. My 9 year old daughter said it looked awful.

Edited by cdsacken

9 minutes ago, Kon said:

Although Captain Marvel movie was promoted as the first MCU movie with a female lead, the audience was mostly male.

So, it doesn't seem Captain Marvel was especially popular between women at any point.

45% audience were females which means 190m from female audience; now this will do 100m total & 37m from females 

Edited by Willowra

18 minutes ago, Maggie said:

In retrospect it does make sense, but i still can't believe Barbie was such a hit when Ken was not really a love interest to barbie (which i argue women like to see a love story) and the movie itself was kinda hating on men. I think it's a miracle Barbie was such a success, but i guess once things got rolling with the huge OW, nothing could stop the hype machine

Ken wasn't a love interest, but the promotion gave the impression he would be. So, people expected romance in Barbie movie, but the movie subverted that.

Now, although Ken wasn't the love interest, he has been extremely popular between the audience.

Surprisingly, Ken and Barbie couple costume were pretty popular in Halloween.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Kon said:

This is anecdotal but when Park Seo-joon was announced, I was surprised at vitriol on K drama sites such as Soompi, My Drama List and Koala's Playground aimed at CM and Brie larson. Girls were like, ugh why did he have to be in CM movie? I hate CM, hate Brie. Back then, Brie/CM hate was seen as exclusively male thing but K drama and K pop sites were an eye opener.