Cap

THE UNMARVELOUS WEEKEND THREAD | FEATURING MELTDOWNS, ARMCHAIR ANALYSIS, AND SEXISM

Since I assume 99.9999% of the comments right now on this thread are about the poor BO of the Marvels that everybody has been predicting for weeks now i am not even bothering to read any of it and go down that hell I mean rabbit hole. I will mention how strong KOFTM seems to be holding. Sure it is not a hit but if Apple  wants too they can play it out in the theaters maybe through award season before sending it to AppleTV plus. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TRISTAN said:

MI7 is a huge huge disappointment at the box office. Ask anyone in Paramount and Skydance.

Eh, I don’t agree. It is a disappointment, but it’s looking good compared to the likes of Indy, Marvels, and others. 

7 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

yes, and I would argue the last point is why cinema’s in a death spiral. 3-4 megahits a year among a sea of failures is a shaky business model. 

Not everything has been a failure though. Something like The Nun II for example still was profitable.

I think exhibitors want a steady flow of product. Something like this summer where you had a new film or two every week is better than 1 film dominating and nothing being released for 2-3 weeks. 

43 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

Oh ya, 100%. His perfectionism, attention to detail, desire for control through planning - it's very much an autobiographical feature, the way I see it.

I'll go one step further and imagine this is how he felt with Alien 3. Everything that could go wrong went wrong. 

I’m still kind of shocked at how good it was. I kind of completely disengaged from all forms of movie news since i started working, so I kind of forgot this thing was even coming out. Incredible stuff - really happy i went in blind. Probably the best of the year behind oppy for me (still need to see KOTFM, but i probably wont have time to see anything else until the new years at this rate)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Not everything has been a failure though. Something like The Nun II for example still was profitable.

I think exhibitors want a steady flow of product. Something like this summer where you had a new film or two every week is better than 1 film dominating and nothing being released for 2-3 weeks. 

This. Even a (very) underperforming Marvel is still providing a boost to theaters since that's a lot of concession money they're making. It's the studios that will be the real ones on the hook for these movies not living up to expectations.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

See that is something that is forgotten. The theaters had a pretty good summer even if the studios may not have.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

Indiana Jones literally made more than MI7 domestically. I don't know how you can claim this.

MI7 literally made way more WW, so I don’t know how YOU can claim Indy was some success comparatively. MI7 Only made $2M less domestically, which could arguably be attributed to its release date. 

Edited by Squire

9 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Fire Feige and put Kathleen Kennedy in charge of both Lucas Films and Marvel. She would ensure there would not be any movies made and we will only see D+ content. :sparta:

Demote Feige and put Zatt Murdock as the head of Marvel Studios. And Their reign will continue for another 20 years.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 3

3 minutes ago, Belakor said:

Not by much, and OS MI7 is far more popular

This exactly. The Mission Franchise has always been way more popular overseas. This was the biggest one in some territories I remember seeing.  And do we really have to get in a pissing match about Mission and Indy in the first place. I enjoyed both movies Mission much more so but this whole this movie did better than that movie thing yada yada yada. Both movies were made either enjoy them or don't.