Cap

THE UNMARVELOUS WEEKEND THREAD | FEATURING MELTDOWNS, ARMCHAIR ANALYSIS, AND SEXISM

8 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Disney's strength is in its theme park, ESPN, merchandise and even their cruises. I think they have enough IP to stay relevant even if box office is no where in the ball park of last decade. Their problem is they have been not so great steward of capital. Fox buy was especially egregious considering it was highly leveraged and no amount of Avatar BO or having X Men is MCU is going to make up for it. Plus they are losing boatloads in streaming and I am not convinced they will be able out duel Netflix despite their IP. Streaming platforms are as much about tech as content. Disney is NOT a tech company to win this. There is tons of rumor that Iger came back for Disney to become an acquisition target for a bigger company(say Apple). Its possible they will spin off some of the assets into a separate company(Linear TV?) and may be make Disney a better acquisition target. its last 10 years a public company have  been simply terrible despite all the IP and success seen in Movies and elsewhere.  

ESPN blanked out of my mind - that’s bound to be a huge contributor to their FCF. OT but are you in TMT IB? I’m at a boutique but i’ve been trying to break into BB - but I feel like TMT IB would be a better fit. Would finally make good use of all the hours spent on here lol

Saying that a movie will be reevaluated in 10 years and disliked solely because you don't like it is such a weird egocentric opinion to me. Egocentrism is pretty much what social media was built on though so I guess I should expect those kinds of opinions.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

At the moment it might still be a niche opinion, but once we get to the 10th anniversary, I think people will re-evaluate the film. It did was it was supposed to do: revitalize theaters. But as someone whose only experience of with the film was at home, I found it average.

Your personal opinion doesn't mean overall reception will change after 10th anniversary, this is just crazy claim. I was very mixed on Parasite, but I'm not gonna pretend people are gonna stop liking it down the line just because I didn't like it.

• Like 2

Seeing some film Twitter accounts suggest that anyone talking about marvels’ box office without mentioning the strike affecting promotional capacity is ‘failing in their duty.’ I think they really believe the cast not doing interviews meant another 70m was left on the opening weekend table.

• Haha 7

18 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Priscilla and Holdovers seems very strong, hopefully they’ll continue growing 

Poor Things can surprise as well 

It can be a nice rebound for this type of movie after 3 years of flops

It's so insane to think about now how something like Nightmare Alley could open to 2.8 million

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

Seeing some film Twitter accounts suggest that anyone talking about marvels’ box office without mentioning the strike affecting promotional capacity is ‘failing in their duty.’ I think they really believe the cast not doing interviews meant another 70m was left on the opening weekend table.

Well, if the cast is really that useless in promotion, why studio bother to make a deal with SGA? They should just keep the strike going. 

5 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

Some money was left off the table but who knows how much. 

2 minutes ago, Borobudur said:

Well, if the cast is really that useless in promotion, why studio bother to make a deal with SGA? They should just keep the strike going. 

because they still need actors to film movies and tv shows 

Edited by Hatebox
  • Like 3

DVD/Blu-Ray sales are nearly dead.

Movie stars (as a draw) are practically dead.

Mid-budget movies that drove business in the 80s, 90s and 2000s are dead for years now thanks to Streaming.

IP-driven big-budget movies are failing now more and more as well because most franchises have hit dead ends.

Streaming has trained audiences for years now that movies are to be consumed at home and driving to a theater is not worth the effort.

As a result of audience decline, ticket prices get higher and higher, limiting the audience pool even more.

I think @CJohn was right all along. We are witnessing the slow death of cinema. I truly dont know where all of this will lead to. But i do sadly think that by the end of the 2020s, movie theaters will begin to die out across the globe.

Or maybe im just in a very depressive state right now - which i am.

• Like 5
  • Heart 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 3
  • Knock It Off 1

2 minutes ago, TheFlatLannister said:

As more and more films flop/bomb, I think it lends more credence to the argument that people just aren't showing up to theaters in masses anymore, unless the movie feels like an event. 

And I think this all goes back to teens and younger being the first ones to really not care much about movies. The 12 to twenty something demo is always how the industry has thrived, and if they’re hard to appeal to now, we see these few and far between hits. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, TheFlatLannister said:

As more and more films flop/bomb, I think it lends more credence to the argument that people just aren't showing up to theaters in masses anymore, unless the movie feels like an event. 

I got a dog now, and my grandmother is sick. Days of weekly trips to the movies are over for the time being. We’ll probably do the Waitress proshot and the Color Purple for the rest of the year. Looking at 2024 only Furiosa and Lady Gaga Harley seem like Appointment Viewing.  

• Like 1

Nobody is saying cast interviews add no money but if you think that The Marvels missed out on a billion dollars because Brie Larson and the rest of the cast didn't get to do chat shows that nobody watches anymore then I'm going to laugh at you. Five Nights At Freddy's opened with 80M without the chat shows. Stars are important (I think getting an absolute nobody to play the villain was a huge mistake) but the Marvel IP is more important. There was a fundamental disinterest in The Marvels and ignoring that won't change that fact. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

At the moment it might still be a niche opinion, but once we get to the 10th anniversary, I think people will re-evaluate the film. It did was it was supposed to do: revitalize theaters. But as someone whose only experience of with the film was at home, I found it average.

Is it comfortable? Living in such ignorance?

I actually don’t think interviews add much of anything today unless it’s targeting an over 40 audience or something from the interviews happens to become a viral meme And even then that’s debatable since Don’t Worry Darling was one of the most notable Gen Z memed interview circuits and it did squat for box office. 

Edited by MovieMan89

3 hours ago, Brainbug said:

Mid-budget movies that drove business in the 80s, 90s and 2000s are dead for years now thanks to Streaming

I think this can be exaggerated quite a bit, John Wick franchise, Creed 3, 5 nights, Scream, Equalizer 3, Minions almost did a billion last year.

It is something pretty much everyone say and repeat and sound true, we mentally exclude horror, we mentally exclude mid-budget animation, we remove under $30m budget, but often stop to consider the 85-90m has midbudget when the low mid 40m in the 90s will be considered mid-budget when it is the same money, etc...

3 hours ago, Brainbug said:

Movie stars (as a draw) are practically dead.

I remember a producers round table type talk in the late 90s saying the same (Titanic success pushed that narrative a lot, then Stars Wars-Lords of the Rings-Spiderman-Potter, etc.. happened to confirm it) it has been a long time on the artificial life support by now. 

And can also be exaggerated sometime, Kevin Hart from Ride Along to COVID-19 run was really impressive.

People will focus that stars need to stay in a lane almost all the time to work (Cruise running, Washington protecting the widows and orphans in a action movie, the very exact Liam Neeson brand he created, but that was not uncommon before, John Wayne could not make Genghis Khan work, Stalone-Diaz-Roberts-Arnold-Sandler needed to right vehicle and so on)

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 4