Cap

THE UNMARVELOUS WEEKEND THREAD | FEATURING MELTDOWNS, ARMCHAIR ANALYSIS, AND SEXISM

5 minutes ago, Willowra said:

Captain Marvel is not Z-lister in comics. She is current leader of Avengers in comics. But in MCU they treated her badly & this is the result.

Feige also said Captain Marvel was going to be the leading face on the MCU. They bet a lot on this character and also Ms Marvel who they were clearing hoping would be another Peter Parker 

• Haha 1

Just now, John Marston said:

Feige also said Captain Marvel was going to be the leading face on the MCU. They bet a lot on this character and also Ms Marvel who they were clearing hoping would be another Peter Parker 

lol good luck with that.

nobody cares about those two. even hawkeye has a bigger fan base IMO

Edited by Belakor

13 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Oh that’s terrible for The Marvels but it’s also not remotely surprising given the tracking thread, so I’m not shocked. 

Awful for Journey to Bethlehem too. Rejected by an audience that seemingly always show up. 

No promotion to that audience...and probably not a lot of trust about the content. 

Angel Studios (and other micro studios) have probably changed the game for how to reach them...

1 minute ago, Krissykins said:

I wouldn’t have been in their target audience for marketing so I have no idea. 2,000+ cinemas though. 

It's a musical version of the story of The Nativity starring the dude from For King & Country and Academy Award Nominee Antonio Banderas sporting clearly fake abs for who knows what reason.

Journey To Bethlehem' Live-Action Christmas Musical Event With Antonio  Banderas - Movies

No one should be surprised that the studio wasn't able to sell anyone on it lol.

It also has Milo Manheim, who is one of the major characters in the Thanskgiving horror movie next weekend as well. We appreciate a versatile nepo baby. 

Feige isn't going to be fired tomorrow or anything, but the general consensus from audience is that 5 of the last 6 MCU movies have sucked. That's what killed the DC universe, too. They can still get things back, but the next few entries all have to be very good! Deadpool is pretty much separate creatively just like Guardians, but if Captain American and Fantastic Four both suck, yes it is time for heads to roll and probably even Feige to get fired. You can't have seven movies in a row be bad and continue to have a job. It's like letting Bill Belichick go 2-15 every year now.

• Like 4

Disney forgot they bought Star Wars and Marvel to counterbalance their female-skewed audience. It's the most idiotic decision to try to cater to female audiences with these franchises, they won't come. Now both are dead. BlackRock and Vanguard won't like the share price

• Like 4
  • Knock It Off 3

13 minutes ago, fmpro said:

I just hope that the strikes gave them time to breathe and reflect. And come up with a different plan. Because the current one is`ent working

It's not always about an overarching plan for a cinematic universe. I felt this film was bad on an almost every level film-making except set design, makeup, and some action choreography/directing. The writing was so horrendous and the worst part is they couldn't direct or make a dialogue scene interesting, if their life depended on it. Starting to think the movie was majorly hampered by the writer's strike. 

Edited by The GOAT

4 minutes ago, John Marston said:

I'm talking about comics. No one knows what would happen in future in MCU. But they are(not were) definitely trying to set up Ms. Marvel as new future face of the MCU.

These "Marvel is doing fine, this is a small bump, nothing to see here" posts are coping hard. The quality of Marvel films has declined consistently over the past 3 years. It shouldn't be any surprise that audiences are giving up on the MCU.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Giorno said:

One thing they should do is stop connecting the shows to the movies, make more stuff like the netflix shows where you don't have to watch them at all to know whats going on, don't even use mainline mcu characters in the shows

I think this was the biggest mistake the MCU has made since Endgame and it culminated here in this opening weekend. And I’m saying this as someone who enjoyed most of their Disney + stuff and absolutely love Ms. Marvel and the actress playing her.

I doubt they’ll ever be connecting their Disney + stuff to their movies again. In fact, it has already started to be disconnected, as their new show Echo is not part of the MCU movies continuity at all and Daredevil is being retooled and will probably follow that same model.

7 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

I think Thor: Love and Thunder gets underrated in the decline of the MCU compared to TV shows etc. People HATED that movie. I'm talking hated. Anecdotally, all of my friends, including many MCU fans, thought that this was The Room level of bad. I haven't seen that much universal hate for a blockbuster in ages. And we know how people feel about Quantumania. I do think the TV stuff is hurting, but I think people are underestimaing how much two absolutely reviled movies in a row (and people didn't exactly love Strange/Eternals) is hurting the brand. Marvel used to be a mark of relative quality. That has failed.

This is the second biggest mistake they’ve made, the double punch of Love and Thunder and then Quantumania really poisoned the well.

Love & Thunder felt like a parody of the MCU while Quantumania was just cowardly in how it introduced the main villain of this phase killing people’s interest in him.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Maggie said:

Why do people like to see things fail after they built them up? The glee at The Marvels flopping is extreme

Probably because superheroes have dominated the box office space for the past 10+ years. When something is dominant for so long, certain number of people get tired of it and want to see the dominance end.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The GOAT said:

It's not always about an overarching plan for a cinematic universe. I felt this film was bad on an almost every level film-making except set design, makeup, and some action choreography/directing. The writing was so horrendous and the worst part is they couldn't direct or make a dialogue scene interesting, if their life depended on it. Starting to think the movie was majorly hampered by the writer's strike. 

I haven't seen the Marvels, but the same exact things are true of Thor and Ant-Man. That speaks to a larger systemic issue beyond one director or one movie. Frankly, the scripts for Strange and Eternals were even worse and only saved from total disaster territory by skilled directors. This is a clear systemic issue now at MCU.

• Like 3

Can we stop with the exaggerated "Marvel isn't going out of business, guys!"  posts?   Who has said that the MCU is over or that they are going to stop producing content?  

All I've seen is that people feel some changes should be made and these numbers seem to support that notion. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Maggie said:

Why do people like to see things fail after they built them up? The glee at The Marvels flopping is extreme

I never really understood the hater mentality either.

I guess misery just really loves company.

• Like 2