Issac Newton

Weekdays Thread | THU - TBOSS $1.7M, Napoleon $1.1M, Wish $567K, Trolls 3 $516K, Thanksgiving $347K, Saltburn $309K

3 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

I really don’t see how Wish could do 200 WW at this point, especially when we know there’s a box office history of SE Asia being prejudiced towards movies with darker skinned protagonists (or they don’t seem to appeal to them as much for whatever reason if you want to give the benefit of the doubt and say it’s not actually a bigoted thing). SE Asia would be its only hope though, with a breakout in Japan or SK specifically. 

Neither of those countries are in south-east Asia. 

• Haha 7

1 hour ago, WorkingonaName said:

Neither of those countries are in south-east Asia. 

South and East Asia is what I’m referring to, didn’t feel like typing it out. I have never heard Japan or Korea referred to as “north Asia”, only East Asia, regardless of geography (and technically they are more south than north if we’re including Russia in the Asia map like some do). 

11 hours ago, DAJK said:

I’m just wondering how big it could have been if Netflix had done a theatrical release at a discounted price. Or even just a theatrical release in general, since a discounted release would NEVER happen.

Never say that won't happen.  After opening weekend, Cinemark had a buy 2 get 1 free deal for Paw Patrol's tickets for its entire run this fall...

Edit to Add: Jeez, I just looked at its BO, and what a fall win!  $30M budget and $194.1M BO WW...holy crap.  Why have we skipped discussing this win, and Cinemark's strategy for DOM.  That totally probably helped the $65.2M DOM final...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

Never say that won't happen.  After opening weekend, Cinemark had a buy 2 get 1 free deal for Paw Patrol's tickets for its entire run this fall...

Edit to Add: Jeez, I just looked at its BO, and what a fall win!  $30M budget and $194.1M BO WW...holy crap.  Why have we skipped discussing this win, and Cinemark's strategy for DOM.  That totally probably helped the $65.2M DOM final...

Paramount got several theater chains to participate in "matinee all day" pricing with 80 For Brady. It sounds like "buy 2, get 1free" with PAW Patrol was Cinemark's idea. It makes sense for them to go after the family market since the Regal/AMC membership plans target adults.

It seems like lower budget animation can work well enough theatrically if it's attached to a well-known brand. How long before there are Cocomelon and Bluey feature films?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Mojoguy said:

Lionsgate should be happy with $300m WW.

After a low opening, that good 2nd weekend drop pretty much saved the movie.

Also helped  that Wish, which was seen as  THG2 's mian  competion at the box office, tanked.

8 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Also helped  that Wish, which was seen as  THG2 's mian  competion at the box office, tanked.

I don't know why it was seen as competition to begin with. They're two different audiences, even if Wish had been well-received.

Edited by MysteryMovieMogul

7 hours ago, Mojoguy said:

Lionsgate should be happy with $300m WW.

After a low opening, that good 2nd weekend drop pretty much saved the movie.

Lionesgate show a lot of smarts in keeping the budget of TBOSS under 100 Million dollars.

They will make a good profit off this, but if they had spent the 150 they spent on previous HG movies, they would barely break even.

The huge drop since 2019 in theater attedneance means that studios need to cuts costs. The huge budgets ned to become an exception, not the rule.

12 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

I don't know why it was seen as competition to begin with. They're two different audiences, even if Wish had been well-received.

I disagree  the audeinces are that different; s; if you think that kids are the only market for animated films you are really, rellly, behind the times.