Porthos

Dune 2 Opening Weekend Thread [3/01/24 -3/03/24] [82.5m DOM OW]

5 hours ago, leoh said:

I’m not a Dune hater, I’m just trying to be realistic since this started with people going crazy and projecting it to make 100+ OW… 1B ww…

anyways, do you really think 29M on Saturday will make it go much further than 80M? Hopefully (theaters really need this money after that Jan/Feb) but tbh don’t think so… Idk we’ll find out on Monday when actuals are officially reported :D

You are clearly a dune hater at least based on the bs you said in pre sales thread. 

Edited by Wotad

1 minute ago, DInky said:

Warner didn't finance the film. They simply distributed it in North America.

Did they not co-finance it? 

Its weird its seen as a WB film if they didn't finance it at all. Why did legendary let them handle all the promo etc.. then? 

Just now, Wotad said:

Did they not co-finance it? 

Its weird its seen as a WB film if they didn't finance it at all. Why did legendary let them handle all the promo etc.. then? 

Legendary also had nothing to do with Blade Runner 2049. Blade Runner was a Sony and Alcon Entertainment joint.

31 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

I know people love to root for the artists against the mean machines are the majors but... I mean ..Warner gave 200M dollars to Villenueve for BD 2049 and that was a big flop.

You could expect for him to do several "Little hits" before getting again the budget for a big movie...but It got It soon and even for such a "cursed" project like Dune. Warner said " BD2049 was a flop but we think you're talented and we still believe in you".

Again the movie Is not a flop but you can't call It a success just from the box office. They still gave him 200M again for another movie.

IMO Warner earned some voice on how the next chapter and all the saga should be planned 😇

To add some context, Legendary funded 75% of Dune 1 and WB 25%. After BR2049 Villeneuve told in an interview that he thought his career with big budget Hollywood movies was over and genuinely felt grateful and surprised to get a new opportunity with Dune.

• Like 1

Dune hits 28 million domestically this Saturday according to Deadline.

It’ll get an 80M OW, becoming the best OW domestically since Five Nights at Freddy’s (80M) and just behind  Oppenheimer (82.5M).

Theaters recover from a terrible -40% February:

Overall estimated box office weekend for all movies is pegged at $112.2M, which is  just -5% from the same weekend a year ago. 

https://deadline.com/2024/03/box-office-dune-part-two-1235842667/

Edited by leoh

36 minutes ago, leoh said:

Dune hits 28 million domestically this Saturday according to Deadline.

It’ll get an 80M OW, becoming the best OW domestically since Five Nights at Freddy’s (80M) and just behind  Oppenheimer (82.5M).

Theaters recover from a terrible -40% February:

Overall estimated box office weekend for all movies is pegged at $112.2M, which is  just -5% from the same weekend a year ago. 

https://deadline.com/2024/03/box-office-dune-part-two-1235842667/

Its going to beat both Five nights at Freddy's and OOppenheimer

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PNF2187 said:

I was gonna say something along the lines of chocolate spiced lattes but spicy chocolate lattes already exist. I feel there was a missed opportunity to do some cross promo with Wonka and Dune since they're both WBD, but I guess the popcorn bucket was already weird enough. Still need to get one of those for myself.

As an aside, Dune: Part Two was fantastic. I saw it on Thursday and it gets better the more I think about it. I think Arrival is still going to remain my favourite Villeneuve movie, but it's great to see it doing well.

I too, think his best film is still arrival. Followed by incendies and now Dune 2. Sicario and BR2049 next, and the last is first Dune.

7 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

Anyone can be wrong. Even @M37 who is data driven and  kept saying saturday cannot go higher than 2.6/2.7x thursday preview(not including early Imax number). I am wrong more often than not as well 🙂

I never said it couldn’t, but there was a very consistent ratio between Thur and Sat among similar $70M+ openings, and would not set expectations higher than that ratio. And Dune II beat those expectations 

Something was clearly different on Sat: the casuals/walk-ups that were missing  Thur & Fri finally showed up. Don’t know yet if it’s going to be the nature of the draw where Sat (and prob Sun) will be better days relatively through the run, or maybe WOM is kicking in and the baseline is being raised. Have to wait and see 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Grand Cine said:

I have one question : When Spring Break will begin because i saw the weekday hold for Batman and Creed 3 and they are good

It will vary by school district & college. Usually the first week in March through the week following Easter there will be some number of schools on break. Colleges are usually earlier than K-12 since they mostly finish semester in May  

• Like 1

I think in no more than a couple of weeks Warner could debut the teaser of Dune: prophecy.

Probably they don't want to divert people attention from the movie until now. Now would be the perfect moment to hype the series and in part the movie too.

So, numbers/brains were all too low...hearts were all too high - and if we'd just split the difference, we'd have hit opening weekend on the nose...I think there's a movie coming out that talks about getting everything in the body working together:)...

Hmmm...I think I'll still stick to the $325M DOM number:)...

Edited by TwoMisfits

5 hours ago, DInky said:

Warner didn't finance the film. They simply distributed it in North America.

They co-financed. 20%, according to Deadline.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, von Kenni said:

Whaaaat!? There's a board game? And I missed it. Is it any good? E.g. comparing to Settlers of Catan - Cities and Knights?

Yep

image.jpg

It's pretty great! Finished 2nd place playing the Harkonnens. It's long though, game lasted 3 hours. It's a sort of merge of Dominion and Stone Age, except much more complex and longer.

5 hours ago, Wotad said:

You are clearly a dune hater at least based on the bs you said in pre sales thread. 

Concern trolls say they are fans of something, "oh I so want it to be good, but..."

The "but" is key here.

A concern troll is a person who participates in a debate posing as an actual or potential ally who simply has some concerns they need answered before they will ally themselves with a cause. In reality they are a critic.

They're always "concerned" about the success of something but "hey, I'm a big fan, I'm just concerned!"  Then if you stalk their messages you realize that the only coherent line of thought throughout is that they actually want it to fail. AKA, the opposite of what they're saying. They only act like an ally because being an upfront hater is ill-perceived, especially in close-knit communities, so concern trolling it is (it's more subtle, harder to spot)

Edited by Daxtreme
  • Like 3

26 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

Dune will be the first film since Barbie to make $100m in a single week. Both Eras and FNAF missed out barely on that mark.

Man, that puts into perspective again how dire the last 6 months were for theaters overall.

• Like 1