kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers | estimates | 45.2M GHOSTBUSTERS: FROZEN EMPIRE | 17.6M DUNE II | 16.8M KFP IV

11 minutes ago, vafrow said:

Studios can probably set themselves up better if they figure out what IP is actually relevant to the next generation, rather than forcing them the stuff from their parents.

Exactly. The young people are not aware of these old franchises, and the kids that do think the reverence placed upon them is OTT . They did not grow up watching Columbo with their parents on the one screen in the house. They didn’t just stumble across James Bond because it was the only thing on TV at that moment.

Disney are about to release a Tron sequel for a bunch of kids and teens that legitimately do not know what on earth Tron is. I knew what Tron was before Tron Legacy came out because Tron occasionally aired on TV.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JimmyB said:

On the independent scene, “Late Night With the Devil” took sixth place and summoned $2.8 million from 1,034 venues, including (and you can’t make this up) $666,666 on Sunday. 

https://variety.com/2024/film/box-office/ghostbusters-frozen-empire-box-office-opening-weekend-1235950537/

I'm pretty sure the studio made that up.  Like with the Bond films box office routinely ending in 007. :chaplin:

• Like 8
  • Haha 2

It's worth noting the Sony probably WILL make another Ghostbusters, even with Grace/Coon in the cast, because it's vastly outperforming the shlock like Madame Web and Kraven they're releasing otherwise this year. Venom 3 will do okay but Sony's other movies are thin gruel.

13 minutes ago, AJG said:

Disney are about to release a Tron sequel for a bunch of kids and teens that legitimately do not know what on earth Tron is. I knew what Tron was before Tron Legacy came out because Tron occasionally aired on TV.

Disney just opened a Tron ride at Magic Kingdom last year. That more than anything else is probably why they're trying with the property one last time. Expect Evan Peters and/or Greta Lee to visit it around the time the movie comes out for the cross-promotion (and the all-expense-paid trip to Disney World).

Edited by filmlover

30 minutes ago, MightyDargon said:

Tron is still pretty influential in computer/design terms even if people generally can't quote the movie.

So is this

MV5BNmE0NTQ5ZjItN2MzNC00NjBhLTg0ZjYtYzFi

Do people under 20 know what this movie is? 

1 hour ago, TalismanRing said:

I'm pretty sure the studio made that up.  Like with the Bond films box office routinely ending in 007. :chaplin:

No doubt, I just thought it was fun and something the forum would like

• Like 2

To the theater talk I went to the movies over 150 times last year I moved to a new city where they offered a subscription of 3 movies a week for 20 bucks a month. So I basically went and seen everything. They also offer refillable popcorn buckets for 40 bucks a year. Maybe if more theaters would do similar things more people would go to the theaters. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Michael Gary Scott said:

To the theater talk I went to the movies over 150 times last year I moved to a new city where they offered a subscription of 3 movies a week for 20 bucks a month. So I basically went and seen everything. They also offer refillable popcorn buckets for 40 bucks a year. Maybe if more theaters would do similar things more people would go to the theaters. 

all you can see for effectively $20 a month (£15) at odeon in the UK.  Owned by AMC.  No limits on how many you can see in a day/week/month. Glorious. 
There’s up charges for PLF or certain type seats, but it’s minimal. 

This model has proved gangbusters for the two biggest cinema chains over here for years.  It’s wild the US versions of these subs have such restrictions. 

Edited by wildphantom
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, AJG said:

Tron Legacy has a following of its own among young people

1 hour ago, John Marston said:

interesting thread but I think he is reading too far into it. Many young people simply don't have interest in watching any older movies. It doesn't matter if that movie is dated or not

I think it's less that people don't have interest and more that the large number of entertainment options means they don't need to have interest. Like go back to the 90s or the 2000s, and there would constantly be older movies on TV and cable and there was one TV per household. So if the parents wanted to watch a movie from their childhood, the kids had no choice but to watch them and learn about older cinema. 

Now there's at least like 5-6 screens in a home including TVs, phones, tablets and so on. If the parents are watching an older movie, the kids can be on YouTube or tiktok or wherever. There's no necessity for them to be limited to the programming decisions of a handful of TV channels and the time decisions of their parents.

• Like 15

4 minutes ago, grim22 said:

I think it's less that people don't have interest and more that the large number of entertainment options means they don't need to have interest. Like go back to the 90s or the 2000s, and there would constantly be older movies on TV and cable and there was one TV per household. So if the parents wanted to watch a movie from their childhood, the kids had no choice but to watch them and learn about older cinema. 

Now there's at least like 5-6 screens in a home including TVs, phones, tablets and so on. If the parents are watching an older movie, the kids can be on YouTube or tiktok or wherever. There's no necessity for them to be limited to the programming decisions of a handful of TV channels and the time decisions of their parents.

Ding ding ding! Should be a pinned post.

• Like 1

Yeap, back in the 80s in rural parts two channels and one TV. At the end of the 90s four channels and two TVs, no smartphones, and of course no streaming. Funny enough our first pirate CD copy that circulated with friends was VGA quality Matrix (though old millennial here and not Gen X). Fastforward the last 20 years and the landscape has changed faster than ever in human history and keeps doing that with all the different entertainment and content firehose ways. The whole cinema is doing great in that context and part of it is that you can't ultimately take away the shared first-hand human experience. There are always people longing for it no matter how cool new gadgets and tech we have.

• Like 1

I am quite impressed by how steady each ghostbuster movie made during OW no matter how intense was the discourse (2016 version), or unmemorable like GBA, and now critically panned GB:FE. Looks like the movie has successfully positioning itself as family-friendly franchise. I mean, look at that great Saturday bump.

Speaking of Saturday bump, dune, Kp4 and now GB:FE all indicate we are entering next phase of recovery, where casual moviegoers start coming back in the larger scale. 

• Like 6

23 hours ago, John Marston said:

nah. GvK may beat Skull Island but it ain’t touching Godzilla 2014’s 93M opening 

That still would be a record for Kong franchise. I am expecting it to become the biggest Kong opener and 2nd-3rd biggest Godzilla opener. It will be biggest opener worldwide for the monsterverse franchise. It will also break some records in Asia and Latin America. All in all biggest grosser ever worldwide for both Kong and Godzilla. 

I am bullish, but whatever. 

Edited by marveldcfox