kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers | actuals | 80.01M G×K: THE NEW EMPIRE | 11.35M DUNE II

Deadline:

FRIDAY AFTERNOON: No monkey business here. Legendary and Warner Bros‘ $135M production Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire is blowing away projections with a $31M Friday (including last night’s record Monsterverse $10M previews) and a 3-day of $67M at 3,861 venues. That’s the second-best stateside start ever for a Legendary Monsterverse film, ranking behind Godzilla’s $93.1M, and ahead of 2017’s Kong: Skull Island ($61M).

Edited by efialtes76
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Here's my hot take on Furiosa. Miller got caught up in the hype post Fury Road. A character everyone loved in the movie that worked as a foil to and in companionship to Max. Maybe one of those truly great characters that CAN carry their own spin-off. But why a prequel? It reaks of Solo-itis. Here's how she got taken, and how she got a robit arms and cut her hair and slathered oil on her face. Who cares about that shit? Give us a sequel, with Charlize. There is nothing interesting to be mined out of a prequel.

Prove me wrong, George.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, efialtes76 said:

FRIDAY AFTERNOON: No monkey business here. Legendary and Warner Bros‘ $135M production Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire is blowing away projections with a $31M Friday (including last night’s record Monsterverse $10M previews) and a 3-day of $67M at 3,861 venues. That’s the second-best stateside start ever for a Legendary Monsterverse film, ranking behind Godzilla’s $93.1M, and ahead of 2017’s Kong: Skull Island ($61M).

I think they mean 30m Friday without Thursday previews. 

• Like 1

Deadline with more numbers. What a disaster for Ghostbusters, oof...

Sony’s second Friday of Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire is $5.1M at 4,345 theaters, -68% from a week ago, for what’s shaping up to be a second frame of $14M, -69% for a running total of $71.4M.

Third is DreamWorks Animation and Universal’s Kung Fu Panda 4 at 3,582 sites which is seeing a fourth Friday of $4.3M, and fourth weekend of $10.8M, -35%, for a running total of $152.2M.

Legendary and Warner’s also own the No. 4 spot with the fifth frame of Dune: Part Two which is looking like $10.5M, -40%, for a running total of $251.7M. Nice hold at 3,136 theaters, and that’s without a ton of Imax screens. Friday is at $3.6M, -18%.

Fifth is NEON’s Immaculate at 2,362 theaters with a second Friday of $1M, -50%, and a second frame of $2.8M, -48%, for a running total of $10.7M.

Edited by Jovan
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, efialtes76 said:

Deadline:

Either this is Deadline just being Deadline or people better put the breaks on 80+ for GXK. I will go with Deadline being Deadline for now.

Edited by emoviefan
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, reddevil19 said:

Here's my hot take on Furiosa. Miller got caught up in the hype post Fury Road. A character everyone loved in the movie that worked as a foil to and in companionship to Max. Maybe one of those truly great characters that CAN carry their own spin-off. But why a prequel? It reaks of Solo-itis. Here's how she got taken, and how she got a robit arms and cut her hair and slathered oil on her face. Who cares about that shit? Give us a sequel, with Charlize. There is nothing interesting to be mined out of a prequel.

Prove me wrong, George.

I mean the difference between Solo and Furiosa is that Solo was made because Disney/Lucasfilm wanted it to be made. Plus Miller is clearly going for a specific angle here that would really only work with a prequel.

1 minute ago, CJohn said:

Rough for GxK if true.

Disastrous for GB.

Deadline is surely lowballing GxK, I'd be surprised if the actual numbers are around this.

31 + 19 + 13 = 63M OW

It would be good if people weren't overhyping TFriday. Now it is a massive disappointment. Why would people do this?

• Like 1
  • Knock It Off 1

4 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

That's what's happens for a movie that even the most enthusiastic responses were eh its okay. 

Like, this is a pretty alarming number for Ghostbusters. 

When was the last time a mid $40M OW movie got such a drop? Not counting the epic disaster that was The Marvels.

Edited by Jovan

3 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

I mean the difference between Solo and Furiosa is that Solo was made because Disney/Lucasfilm wanted it to be made. Plus Miller is clearly going for a specific angle here that would really only work with a prequel.

I truly do not understand the backlash this is getting. I hope Miller has knocked it out of the park to shut everybody up. 

• Like 1

Ive been following the box office for more than 12 years now.

I know better than to trust early Deadline estimates. 21M True Friday seems very much too low to me considering the numbers from our tracking team.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Like, this is a pretty alarming number for Ghostbusters. 

When was the last time a mid $40M OW movie got such a drop?

The Marvels did drop over 75% just four months ago in its second weekend.

That would be a horrifically awful hold that would put $100M total in jeopardy though if it holds up. Sony would be nuts to make another at this point knowing the potential isn't there unless they really slash the budget down, that's now 2 out of 3 modern attempts at this IP that will end up certified money-losers.

As I have said until my heart exploded, Frozen Empire got a cursed release slot. RIGHT BETWEEN Dune and Godzilla x Kong was about as bad as "week before/after Barbenheimer" in terms of awful timing. Should've just gone for October this year.