kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers | actuals | 58.40M KINGDOM OF THE PLANET OF THE APES | 13.70M THE FALL GUY | 4.38M CHALLENGERS | TAROT

39 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

I didn't think there was much appeal to the advertising other than "we made another one" so this series might just have a higher floor than I expected because I thought it was really gonna flop bad. The Mark Wahlberg one did have the second biggest opening weekend of all-time back when it dropped.

2001 was a hell of a summer movie season. Mummy Returns, Pearl Harbor, Jurassic Park 3, Planet of the Apes, Rush Hour 2 all opened above 50M and 3 of them had the second biggest weekend of all time when they opened. Rush Hour 2 came close to breaking the OW record as well. 

• Like 5

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, grim22 said:

2001 was a hell of a summer movie season. Mummy Returns, Pearl Harbor, Jurassic Park 3, Planet of the Apes, Rush Hour 2 all opened above 50M and 3 of them had the second biggest weekend of all time when they opened. Rush Hour 2 came close to breaking the OW record as well. 

All time big summer. Mummy 2, Rush Hour, and Apes all coming in around the same area was interesting. Pearl Harbor and Jurassic Park would have been there/above it too had they had standard Fri-Sun openings. Harbor being 3 hours long and have heavy competition really limited show times. Even others like American Pie 2 opened way above expectations.  People were REALLY feeling the urge to rush to the theaters that summer. Coming off of what had been a somewhat muted summer 2000 for openers aside from MI2 and XMen, it was great to see.

The record of 72m was artificially low, though. Episode 1 and MI2 both opened on Wednesdays, Lost World and MI2 over memorial day too. 

Edited by excel1
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Michael Gary Scott said:

For years I used to love coming in here I've been on the forums since the early 2000s. I don't come in here much anymore because this place is just negative and too depressing. 

Welcome to much of the civilized world in 2024, a bunch of spoiled brats who live unappreciative, glass is always half empty lives.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, terrestrial said:

Serious question:

how is the weather in the US these days? Especially in the usually high bo states?
Here cinema is ‚dead‘ if the weather is nice/sunny, and really good if the weather is not nice

(not interested into the Apes movies, it‘s more to get a feeling for what is actually up)

Unless there's an incapacitating blizzard, hurricane, tornado etc weather doesn't affect B.O. in the U.S. to any discernible degree.   Unlike some countries in Europe there isn't a matter of having rare sunny days or non air conditioned theaters.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

KINGDOM OF THE PLANET OF THE APES (2024)B

I think I said base loved it and GA hated it...this Cinescore seems to be dead on with that early analysis...

If you are into the series, you'll like this one...but if you're watching for the 1st time, you're not loving what it's selling...

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

I think I said base loved it and GA hated it...this Cinescore seems to be dead on with that early analysis...

If you are into the series, you'll like this one...but if you're watching for the 1st time, you're not loving what it's selling...

Ironically I am very much in the newcomer camp, and I thought it was a great time. This one definitely sold me on the appeal of the franchise. If only more people shared my sentiment, but I digress. Hopefully it ends up finding an audience on demand, although I'm not counting on that for any financial disappointment these days.

• Like 1

I don't know about China but european numbers for Apes in Europe are weak. So if the WOM is not that good a 50M start it's not that encouraging for a 160-170M budgeted movie. 

16 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Unless there's an incapacitating blizzard, hurricane, tornado etc weather doesn't affect B.O. in the U.S. to any discernible degree.   Unlike some countries in Europe there isn't a matter of having rare sunny days or non air conditioned theaters.

Thank you too

I live in a region with quiet a lot of sunny days, and AC in the cinemas (I actually am not aware about any cinema in EU & UK without an AC nowadays, there were some very old ones way back in time), but still, cinema is dead during sunny / nice days and so on 😉 

but waaayyyy not as hot as eg Florida seems to get (average temperature #1 in the US?)

=> it‘s less intense, excluding some hot days, usually you can go out of the house and eg go for a walk or a bicycle drive, go for a jog,… without the danger of a heat stroke the majority of the year

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grim22 said:

2001 was a wild year for the box office…and you know, only the box office.

So many movies had some of the best openings in history at that point in some shape or form. Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter also signified the beginning of the IP invasion, where movies were sold on their brand rather than stars. You look at the top 5 of 2000 and all the star-driven tentpoles (even Grinch and M:I 2 were sold more on their actors than IP) to the top 5 of 2001 and especially 2002, and its night and day.

2001 was the stepping stone to the NTC insanity we are in today. Probably should have stopped all this before it was too late.

I do feel like there was a certain heightened desire for escapism with the real world climate of 2001-2004 that manifested better as theater box office since VOD was still limited to whatever your local cable/satellite carrier had on offer at the time. Ideally, movies wouldn't need to rely on the world being crap to be successful, but that is typically the reality.

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Eric the Ape said:

2001 was a wild year for the box office…and you know, only the box office.

So many movies had some of the best openings in history at that point in some shape or form. Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter also signified the beginning of the IP invasion, where movies were sold on their brand rather than stars. You look at the top 5 of 2000 and all the star-driven tentpoles (even Grinch and M:I 2 were sold more on their actors than IP) to the top 5 of 2001 and especially 2002, and its night and day.

2001 was the stepping stone to the NTC insanity we are in today. Probably should have stopped all this before it was too late.

How lucky I was to be a film buff follower back then. 1999 was arguably? the strongest year for 'original' films ever with The Sixth Sense making absurd amounts of money, The Matrix and Blair Witch Project both leaving a bigger pop culture impacts than Episode 1, The Mummy a true breakout blockbuster, etc. Austin Powers 2, albeit a sequel, was style highly creative and unique & was a mega smash too. The "creative quality to commercial success" ratio was so good. 

2000 was a 'sign of things to come' year when X-men really exploded (on opening weekend) and The Grinch (albeit it was a Jim Carrey vehicle) won the year. 

Then comes 2001 which is probably the best year for marketing I have ever seen. Lots of conceptual grand slams, The Rock makes his acting debut as the villain in The Mummy 2, Pearl Harbor has possibly the greatest trailer of all time, etc. 2001's slew of giant sequels (Hannibal, Mummy, Jurassic Park, Rush Hour, American Pie), giant remakes (Planet of the Apes, Oceans Eleven), giant adaptions (Tomb Raider, Harry Potter, LOTR) and the "WW2 for the MTV crowd/Titanic meets Saving Private Ryan meets Armaggeddon" Pearl Harbor retelling, but perhaps most surprising is that SHREK beat everyone for the summer crown. Remains the most exciting box office year in memory, even if most of the films themselves were disappointing. 

Edited by excel1
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Eric the Ape said:

8ff1abd21ff68fda1a99f8f8b3dc315777b32e7f

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, thajdikt said:

Godzilla literally just made 130M

That's nice. But China used to have a lot more of those successes. The top 20 non Chinese movies in China is very scarce on movies from 2020 to now.

Posted (edited)

X-men fast-tracked Spider-man which fast-tracked Batman Begins which fast-tracked Christopher Nolan. No changes allowed. 

Edited by excel1

34 minutes ago, excel1 said:

How lucky I was to be a film buff follower back then. 1999 was arguably? the strongest year for 'original' films ever with The Sixth Sense making absurd amounts of money, The Matrix and Blair Witch Project both leaving a bigger pop culture impacts than Episode 1, The Mummy a true breakout blockbuster, etc. Austin Powers 2, albeit a sequel, was style highly creative and unique & was a mega smash too. The "creative quality to commercial success" ratio was so good. 

2000 was a 'sign of things to come' year when X-men really exploded (on opening weekend) and The Grinch (albeit it was a Jim Carrey vehicle) won the year. 

Then comes 2001 which is probably the best year for marketing I have ever seen. Lots of conceptual grand slams, The Rock makes his acting debut as the villain in The Mummy 2, Pearl Harbor has possibly the greatest trailer of all time, etc. 2001's slew of giant sequels (Hannibal, Mummy, Jurassic Park, Rush Hour, American Pie), giant remakes (Planet of the Apes, Oceans Eleven), giant adaptions (Tomb Raider, Harry Potter, LOTR) and the "WW2 for the MTV crowd/Titanic meets Saving Private Ryan meets Armaggeddon" Pearl Harbor retelling, but perhaps most surprising is that SHREK beat everyone for the summer crown. Remains the most exciting box office year in memory, even if most of the films themselves were disappointing. 

I had created a thread about those 18 months when the OW numbers just exploded

Re: why Planet of the Apes '01 opened so massively (adjusts to over $100M today with 23 years of inflation), it was given a relentless and very expensive marketing campaign leading up to its release that made it one of the most anticipated movies of that year. It was literally everywhere. Also helped that it was the first "modern" attempt at a Planet of the Apes movie and that it had legitimate talent behind it (Burton was as much an A-list director as anyone back then, while Wahlberg getting above the title billing on a massive production like that was the official announcement that he had successfully completed the transition from silly rapper to actual movie star). 

That it died so quickly after its debut was entirely on the movie leaving everyone so completely disappointed. Especially following that ending. I saw it that weekend in a packed auditorium and vividly recall the overall vibe afterwards being of the "what the fuck did I just watch?!" variety and definitely not in a good way. Imagine if social media had existed back then lmao.

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, grim22 said:

I had created a thread about those 18 months when the OW numbers just exploded

I think the reason OW numbers exploded in the early 00s because of the internet which allowed for the wider dissemination of information, and because of the massive new construction of movie theaters in the late 90s, which gave more capacity for high grosses.

Edited by cannastop