AniNate

Coco | Pixar / Lee Unkrich | Now playing | #1 all-time in Mexico

23 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Once upon a time when people went to see a movie there would not only be shorts before the film but often also a B film shown.  All for the price of a quarter or less.. 

Now people get extra free content and are pissy.  But they're fine with sitting down and watching 20+ minutes of ads and trailers.

Conditioning.

Well, people are used to many trailers and ads before films. But when you're asking them to sit through 30 minutes of a supposedly poor short about an animation they didn't pay to watch (unlike Pixar, where their shorts are usually, well, short.... and get much better reception to begin with), people get very uneasy.

20+ minutes for ads/trailers is one thing. 20+ minutes for ads/trailers and a 5 minute short - 25 minutes of pre-show - is another. 20+ for ads/trailers followed by a badly recieved 30 minute short adds up to almost an hour before the movie starts.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Well, people are used to many trailers and ads before films. But when you're asking them to sit through 30 minutes of a supposedly poor short about an animation they didn't pay to watch (unlike Pixar, where their shorts are usually, well, short.... and get much better reception to begin with), people get very uneasy.

20+ minutes for ads/trailers is one thing. 20+ minutes for ads/trailers and a 5 minute short - 25 minutes of pre-show - is another. 20+ for ads/trailers followed by a badly recieved 30 minute short adds up to almost an hour before the movie starts.

Used to be that more than 2 or 3 trailers and people would complain. Then it stretched out to 5 then 8 and then they added ads - some for Tv shows.   Conditioning

If it's all too long then just skip the ads and trailers.  Or go out for concessions during the short.  Take your kids to the bathroom.

Bottom line - people like to complain even when they're getting something for free.  And general word is the Olaf short (21m not 30m) is fine, not great but fine - not awful.  It's not like that hideous Minions on the lawn short stretched out to 20 minutes (or a feature length film)

I'm gonna have to assume Disney was so nervous about Coco's appeal (meaning, white Trump supporters being potentially "turned off" by a film about Mexican culture with all Mexican characters) that they thought sticking an almost half-hour long Frozen special originally designed for TV before the film would cause more people to see it. I'm glad to see that there's been some sort of blowback against that backwards kind of decision.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

16 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Used to be that more than 2 or 3 trailers and people would complain. Then it stretched out to 5 then 8 and then they added ads - some for Tv shows.   Conditioning

If it's all too long then just skip the ads and trailers.  Or go out for concessions during the short.  Take your kids to the bathroom.

Bottom line - people like to complain even when they're getting something for free.  And general word is the Olaf short (21m not 30m) is fine, not great but fine - not awful.  It's not like that hideous Minions on the lawn short stretched out to 20 minutes (or a feature length film)

To point out, there is a difference between multiple 3-4 minute ads, and a 20 minute mediocre short.

1 minute ago, RandomJC said:

To point out, there is a difference between multiple 3-4 minute ads, and a 20 minute mediocre short.

The difference is the mediocre short is probably more entertaining and it's not selling me soda or a phone or some TV show I never want to watch.

If I'm paying $16.60 to watch a movie (2D not including Fandango fees) I don't want fucking ads.  I don't want 20+ minutes of trailers either.

16 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Well, people like to complain about EVERYTHING. Especially if it's on the internet, a world in which people can say whatever they want whenever they want without much consequence and hidden behind the safe house of a keyboard and an avatar. People would complain if they were getting 300 pound bars of gold for doing absolutely nothing. It's part of human nature to be dickish, for whatever reason.

Also, the overwhelming majority of people that I've seen talk about the short say that it sucks, so..... I haven't seen it or Coco myself, so I don't know, but if that is the wom from your perspective, then, well, so be it, but I have not noticed "fine" as the general word.

I agree about that complain regarding just leaving the theater while the pre-show is running, though...... but I can see reasons why people don't do that: 1) the fear of missing the start of the movie, so you just sit through whatever they put you; and 2) what if you're on an edge far away from the theater door in a packed screening, and you have to pass by rows and rows of people to walk out and then return? Seems more uncomfortable and awkward than it's worth. But it is what it is.

3 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

The difference is the mediocre short is probably more entertaining and it's not selling me soda or a phone or some TV show I never want to watch.

If I'm paying $16.60 to watch a movie (2D not including Fandango fees) I don't want fucking ads.  I don't want 20+ minutes of trailers either.

If I'm paying for a 16.60 to watch a movie, I don't want a mediocre made for TV short I was never going to watch if it was on TV. I don't want 20+ minutes of bland television before my movie.

Edited by RandomJC

2 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

If I'm paying $16.60 to watch a movie (2D not including Fandango fees) I don't want fucking ads.  I don't want 20+ minutes of trailers either

Well, moviegoers in this case largely had to endure both, and the length of the short wasn't something that was clearly advertised if it was at all. People have the right to complain about it.

My cousin got restless fairly quickly when it started playing. Admittedly I had withheld that piece of information from him before we went because I feared it might turn him off from wanting to see Coco, but it really did feel like an egregious exercise in audience cockteasing.

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 3

There's a reason to be bothered that a WDAS based TV holiday special is sitting in place of the traditional Pixar short in the first place. That is part of what Pixar has built their brand around for two decades, and I can guarantee there are many out there who expect and even look forward to that from them when they go to a Pixar film. Not 20 minutes of pandering to a niche audience. 

Edited by MovieMan89

I wouldn't say they were pandering to a niche audience. If you look back at this thread when it was first announced, "It seemed like a good idea at the time" isn't such a terrible defense. Considering how little many claimed they thought of Coco up until a few weeks ago and all the bitching over the release date being after the holiday, I can't blame Disney that much. Let's not pretend that anyone really cared about the "Sanctity of Pixar" with this movie until the reviews started coming in.

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 5

I would trade all the ads I get even before the trailers for the Frozen short. Any other fellow Cineplex-goers agree?

Oh and I just realized we are probably going to get the annual animated Cineplex Christmas short any time now.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, JB33 said:

I would trade all the ads I get even before the trailers for the Frozen short. Any other fellow Cineplex-goers agree?

Oh and I just realized we are probably going to get the annual animated Cineplex Christmas short any time now.

Some of those ads are a chore to watch sometimes. And a lot of them pop up everywhere.

I GET IT CINEPLEX. I CAN USE SCENE POINTS TO GET FREE MOVIES.

Hopefully this Christmas short is as good as the other two. I never got sick of Lily & the Snowman and A Balloon For Ben. Though I could do without the little popcorn clips that pop up right before a movie is about to start. Those rub me the wrong way...

5 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Disney caught a lot of blowback from theaters today asking to remove the short early. They hate it as it has pushed a family film into the 150 minute territory and is costing theaters extra shows.  

How soon will it be removed?